PDA

View Full Version : Working at home + homeschooling?

MrsJadeDragon
04-09-2011, 02:20 PM
I've been working from home part time as a writer since we made the decision for me to stay home. With my daughter now being homeschooled, I'm having a bit of trouble finding the time to get my client work done. She's a preschooler and still wants constant attention. Anyone else work at home? Any secrets to getting your work done?

Accidental Homeschooler
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
I haven't had to deal with this issue but have friends who have and they end up having someone come in for a couple or three hours a day. You might be able to find an older child/teen who would babysit a couple hours after school so you could work. You would still be there and I know both my kids liked having an older child "play" with them when they were preschool age.

Laina
04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
I work at home part time with two young children. Sometimes I can get an hour in the afternoon while they play or watch TV, but otherwise I just work after they are in bed or on weekends. Sometimes dh takes over when he gets home at 5pm and I take the rest of the evening.

GnomeyNewt
04-09-2011, 03:21 PM
I work at home also, but my DH is a stay at home dad. He has taken trips in the past, where I still had to work. I would get about 1 to 2 hours during the day while they were awake, while I put on a movie or found an independent activity (mind you my 4 year old, 3 at the time this usually doesn't translate to past 45 minutes at a time). Than I would work about 4 hours after putting them to sleep. I basically have no time for myself, unless I stay awake very late.

The suggestion for a mothers helper or someone you know to come in just watch them for a few hours while you work is a great idea, because I know long term it would be hard to keep up the schedule I had during those trips for my 4 year old. My 7 year old, can handle me working for long periods of time, so as your DD gets older it will be easier!

MarkInMD
04-10-2011, 12:49 PM
I have a home recording studio that I use for my job, putting in 40+ hours a week. I currently teach homeschooling MWF, also. What I find I have to do is get up insanely early (5 AM) to get a few hours in before school starts, then I try to squeeze in what I can during the day, leaving the rest until evening, usually after they're asleep. I don't know if you have this sort of flexibility or desire to getup hours earlier than everyone else, but that's what's worked for me.

Cheryl
04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
is get up insanely early (5 AM)

ROTFLMBFAO! 5am is a LUXURY around here! that is sleeping in! LOL!

I will say, that is awesome you can work AND homeschool! I don't know how you all do it!

Cheryl
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
try to get a mommy's helper once jr. high school lets out. our very BEST, MOST responsible sitter was 11 years old. you could pay her $4 per hour to play with the baby 2+ hours a day right before naptime

lilypoo
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I do most of my work late at night or in the early hours of the AM. I have a 15yo so I can have her entertain the little kids for me (my 12yo can entertain himself) when I really need to work during the day but that's rare. If I didn't have a 15yo I'd probably go the "mommy's helper" route as well.

MarkInMD
04-13-2011, 09:25 PM
ROTFLMBFAO! 5am is a LUXURY around here! that is sleeping in! LOL!

I will say, that is awesome you can work AND homeschool! I don't know how you all do it!

Well, farmers are a different breed. Y'all are crazy! :)

It's certainly not easy doing the schooling plus working. The few times I've had to be the teacher all five days of the week, I've been whipped by Friday.

jessica14
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Several years ago, I had a direct selling business and my DD was about four at the time. I had the same issue. My director told me to put together a box of toys, art things, etc. to only be brought out while I worked. It was then put away until the next time. She really enjoyed it and it worked well!

Aandwsmom
04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Does your preschooler do a quiet time? My boys until about 3rd grade, on weekends and holidays(they were in PS at the time) had an hour of quiet time daily. They didnt have to nap but they had to read and rest their bodies.
I used this time wisely and it was amazing how much I could get done.
Now, with a houseful of daycare kids. Naptime is 2.5 hrs. All kids have to nap and they do. That time is when my boys do their main homeschool and I am on the computer doing my online work, articles that need writing, etc.
I also bought a 2nd plug for my computer so after dinner, I can chill on the couch and do some work as well.

I too am up at 5am, but DH leaves for work at 6:15 and I have daycare kids start arriving at 7:30am and before that I basically clean house, do dishes, laundry, get chickens up and out, clean and feed rest of pets, get DH off to work, etc. Sleeping in to 6:30 would be a luxury for me and I do it on Fridays thru Sunday when DH and I are both off work.

rumbledolly
04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
I do a little bit of consulting work from home but I have an 11 y.o so we don't have much of an issue though she still sees a telephone in my hand and it's instant question time or dog barking time!

I've always had blocks of time that I've worked from home since she was born. I had the BEST helper when she was in K and grade 1. She hung out and entertained her for a few hours a day a few days a week while I either went into the office or locked myself in my home office. It helped that she was also my intern at work so she knew exactly what I was working on and when I really needed the quiet time. At the time she was a Jr/Sr in high school. I didn't have to pay her a lot and it was the best experience for my DD, to have someone older to look up to who wasn't her mom or dad. They had a special box of stuff like you mentioned Jessica and only they could use it! It worked wonders and I often pulled it out when I was going to be on a long phone call.

Now I try to establish rules, often they are ignored, but she is getting better. I tell her my schedule when we go over her work for the day and she understands sometimes she'll have to wait to ask questions because I have a report that needs my undivided attention or a phone call that could take more than a few minutes.

PaganHSMama
04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I am up at the crack of dawn and get in 3-4 hours of work before my DD wakes up. I also use her independent computer time to get some work in. But, then again, she is 7 and pretty much does everything on her own. However, since I am planning for another baby, I wonder how this will work.

lattekittn
04-19-2011, 11:52 PM
I am still trying to figure it out. Actually, with the kids getting older each year and needing different things from me I have had to redo my plan each year--sometimes more than once! I try to get them involved in a project or activity, and since my work is on the computer I have it centrally located so I can see them when they play inside or outside. This gives them a bit of freedom to entertain themselves, while I am still able to supervise. It has been good for them (I tell myself) since it has "forced" them to play together and use their imaginations to come up with new and interesting games. But it is always an evolving system.