PDA

View Full Version : Large familes

Cheryl
04-07-2011, 04:50 PM
anyone else out there?

We have 6 kids (so far) I would love more. THis is the longest I have ever not been pregnant so maybe it's it for me. If so maybe adoption is next. We bought a big ole' fixer upper to fill up. We want a houseful, are not there yet. Hubby and I grew up in the city, moved to the country for a simpler life. Past life hubby was a farmer, I'm sure of it!

E & O ~ 4th grade
J~ 3rd grade
MG~ Kindy'ish
A~ pre-K;ish
baby E~ class clown

what is your best and worst HS'ing story/advice?

Aandwsmom
04-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Nope, just the 2 boys. I wanted more but I have a platelet blood disorder that appears when I get pregnant and at my 2nd birth, I started to hemorrage at the end. No more said the Dr. No more said DH. And under much grumpiness, I agreed.
Which is part of the reason I do daycare. Not only do I get to be a SAHM, but I get to have lots of kids...even if I didnt birth them!

Martha
04-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I guess I might have a large family, so I will chime in so you don't feel too terribly lonely.:o

D= 16/10th grade
C= 15/9th grade
J= 13/7th grade
E= 11/6th grade
K= 10/4th grade
A= 8/3rd grade
T= 6/kindergarten
B= 4
P= 2
Poor No Name Yet Boy due in June

Kirsji
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
"Martha
Mom of 6.7 boys and 3 girls so far.
Yes, they're all ours!"

Martha, I was wondering what you meant by 6.7 boys!! Now I get it!

I only have 5. Not a large family, but not very small, either!
I would have loved to have had a houseful but DH worried about finances and raising all the rugrats!
I am looking forward to grandbabies! :)

Cheryl
04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Martha, lol! I am glad you chimed in, I didn't want to call you out :-) congrats on no-name! I am trying not to get depressed that the line hasn't turned pink in so long but maybe its meant to be that we adopt and that is why? Why when you are trying, EVERY SINGLE person you meet is pregnant?

Kirsji, 5 is large in my book! I think after 4 is a "big" family in this day and age. There IS a difference in HS'ing larger families than smaller ones.

any advice from you all? My husbands is always the standard, "cocktails at 2"

Marmalade
04-07-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm with Kirsji ...I have 4 going on 5 but i don't really feel like we are a "Large" family...maybe just not in comparison to Martha!

But it's large enough to elicit looks from strangers in the market!

Cheryl
04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Yes, they are ALL MINE! how many times do you say that out in public?

Martha
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
any advice from you all? My husbands is always the standard, "cocktails at 2"

We call those types of days "hard liquor days".

I don't know if it is great advice for handling a large family.

Fairly certain it helps conception a bit for a lot of couples though. ;p

I do think our insistence on some down time for US, with or without a cold glass of adult beverage, by making the non-nursing kids have a decent consistent bedtime has been very healthy for our marriage and sanity.

dbmamaz
04-07-2011, 08:38 PM
This reminds me of a very funny posting on ebay a year or two ago. A mom wanted to sell some brand new toys of some sort, I dont remember what. But she explained how she came to have them . . . it was something about a large family at the grocery store and the kids were having cart races and the babies were crying and the first time someone asked 'are they all yours' she said something really sweet like yes, we are so blessed', and by the last time, she said, No, i round up all the kids I can find in the neighborhood to take with me because grocery shopping is SO MUCH MORE FUN THIS WAY!

Anyways, one of the kids had slipped whatever she was selling in to a cart and she didnt notice it until she was at home.

My state's xtian home school group (which i subscribe to their e-news for the occasional interesting website or field trip) had, this week, 2 links to the duggars - one was favorite recipes and one was household rules. The recipes were almost all either sweets, or included a can of soup (I hate canned soup recipes). THe household rules were, well, so Duggar . . . all about being sweet and helpful and appoligizing and not keeping secrets and having pure hearts and such.

and I almost consider 3 a big family . . . i only had 1 sibling, as did my mom. But no, not really big.

And yes, Martha, I had asked on a previous thread what your siggy meant, but one or the other of us (or both?) never returned so I never got my answer. Until now.

melhoen
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
I just had my fifth two weeks ago! I don't necessarily feel like a "large" family but I guess we are. The older four are between 7 and 12 so there's a nice gap between them and the baby. I am most definitely done...

Batgirl
04-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Darn it, when I read posts like this it makes me want more kids......argghhh. Maybe in a year or so.