PDA

View Full Version : Help With Wording ?

Stella M
04-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I want to set up a co-op type group for my ds; we're in another co-op right now but I'd like to move on from that one. I'm thinking we'll do a mixture of things - a bit book club, some science, some history projects etc.

I want to word the info in a way that will exclude anyone young- earth, anyone anti fantasy books etc. So you'd think that calling it 'Secular' would work ? Won't work. Will offend the 'best of the bunch' Christians we mostly hang out with. I don't really mind having Christians in the co-op but only the progressive kind.

How can I say that nicely ?

dbmamaz
04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Suggest Harry Potter as the basis for your latin curriculum!! Really, he's too young to say you intend to read banned books. Oh, yeah, just mention evolution as part of the science curriculum! There are some great evolution books for young kids - and you can play games with the creature cards and the timeline from charlies playhouse.

Stella M
04-06-2011, 11:18 PM
:) :) :)
" A co-op focusing on evolution and the dark arts."

Arrrggghhh!!!! Wouldn't it be great to assume the loonies...sorry, people...you were going to cultivate as the parents of your child's playmates were normal ?

How did I end up even knowing young-earthers ?

Hampchick
04-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know that secular will offend moderate religious folks, but I wonder if there is still some confusion over the term, will people think that it's only for non-theists? <shrug> not sure.

Stella M
04-07-2011, 06:13 PM
My Christian 'friends' will feel they are being excluded. Isn't there a code for this sort of thing ? Something that brings the kind of people you want without being so explicit it gives other people the chance to get huffy with you ?

rumbledolly
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm with Cara on the word evolution but then you had to go and toss in you have Christian friends who would field excluded....hmmm.

How about slightly off center of normal, evolved people who wonder if fairies and mermaids (I like mermaids) are real - join us for fun and exciting times!

I personally wouldn't use Harry Potter - just because I wouldn't join. Just never a fan.

Stella M
04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I know, it's kind of a stupid question :) It's just all my book club girls are Christian and the parents who give my girls lifts to stuff are Christian and the other co-op parents are Christian and the mother of ds's best friend is ultra-Christian and I don't want to explicitly exclude them from this new thing with ds. I just want to implicitly exclude them, because I want to try and get a group together of people I can actually handle spending time with over the next however many years of ds's education. It isn't that they're not nice people, because they are, I just want to be with my kind of people for a while :(

Yeah, maybe start off with science, beginning with EVOLUTION!!!

Laina
04-07-2011, 06:50 PM
"Relaxed"??

rumbledolly
04-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Evolution - It's Where IT Started!

Stella M
04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestion..."Relaxed" here will mean natural learners. And also doesn't mean secular natural learners...
I'm starting to wish I liked school :(

Cheryl
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
OK, the frist thing that popped in my head was, "Jesus freaks need not apply"

PLEASE, no one slam me! I am trying to be funny, sarcastic. Plus I am a pretty devout Catholic and I would get" what you are saying and not be offended. Which is why I'm over here at the secular site and not over there.............

WE ( a few friends of mine) have been dying to get a group of "normal" homeschoolers together but don't know how to go about finding them :-) Keep us posted on what you do

farrarwilliams
04-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Our bigger preschool group had something like this on the membership page, "Members of all religions or lack thereof are welcome, but should be aware that this group doesn't have a strong religious base, so if that's important to you, then this may not be the group for you..." And I always felt that sorted it. We had many progressive Christians and a few conservative ones, but people who weren't offended by those not like them. It's a little different for a co-op because it's a smaller group you're trying to make (it sounds like it anyway), but if it were me, I might put something like that - to say that you want to group to be open to people of any religion or lack of religion seems to make it clear that Christians are welcome, but only if they're comfortable in a group with atheists. One of the things I've found essential in my co-ops is that we're all friends. Maybe if you put in something about looking for families who can all mesh well together. Or if you just described yourself... or are you not "out" as secular to the wider homeschooling community?

Stella M
04-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Hey Cheryl, I get along better with the Catholics :)

Out ? Well, most people know I'm not a church-goer but I don't think my atheism has ever come up in general conversation :) I do such a good job IRL of being 'nice' and 'tolerant' that they probably would describe me as 'Evangelical Christian-friendly'. I keep typing fiendly instead of friendly, wonder if that means anything...

I'll think on it. Yeah, maybe the whole 'welcoming to all' would weed out the YE's.

MrsLOLcat
04-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Even if you don't specifically mention evolution, maybe you could say you're gonna start your timeline with the Big Bang Theory, work up till now, and cover "all the millions of years in between."

Batgirl
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree with explicitly mentioning evolution. People should get the idea.

Also, though this isn't exactly what you were looking for, I looked at Topsy's profile once and was so impressed with the written description of her hsing group that I planned to ask her for permission to copy it should I ever start one. She's very pointed about what can and can not be discussed. Might be helpful.

farrarwilliams
04-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Cheryl, one of our co-ops is *all* Catholic families and us. Though dh was raised Catholic, so he gets to claim that as a cultural identity, I suppose. But I don't think the Catholicism has anything to do with why any of them are homeschooling. It's just a funny coincidence.

Cheryl
04-08-2011, 07:04 AM
MelissainOz, my very best friend here is from Australia. Adelaide. I keep telling her that there are some Aussie blokes on here but she is too busy eating her vegimite and being a sookie la la cow to get on. lol

Pefa
04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Reality based? (I know, fantasy isn't reality but the fact that humans have written it and enjoy it is reality)

Have you asked some of your religious friends what might work?

Inclusive, broad ranging, looking at multiple worldviews, all those might be words that would attract the crowd you like.

dbmamaz
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
"reality based" i dont think would work . .. most religious fanatics believe that their world view is the real one, and ours is an illusion created by the devil.

Cheryl
04-08-2011, 10:14 AM
dbmamaz~~~~~ that is how the conservative Protestants feel about us Catholics. I remember reading something from BJU about us (heathen Catholics) being the devils of society. I think they like the athiests better becuase at least there is a chance of being saved, lol. We are the only Catholics in my VERY conservative HS group. all I can say is we do not belong. We stopped going on most field trips with them to museums becuase either we have to pass up the dinosaur exhibits OR the leader has her own Jesus lived with dinosaurs story. Which completely confuses my kids.

belacqua
04-08-2011, 12:41 PM
There's a co-op in my area called "Darwin's Darlings." Makes the point pretty clearly, I think.