PDA

View Full Version : Switch from public virtual academy to home schooling sooner than later

momof1gr8girl
04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Hello all,

I am switching from using a chartered/public virtual academy to being a home schooler (in Ohio if that matters). We've used the VA for 5 years. I have liked for the most part the curriculum; however, because their state test scores are so low they are now doing a lot of test prep. Part of my not wanting to be in a brick and mortar was so we didn't have teaching to the test. That is now the case with our VA too. My daughter has finished her grade level curriculum for this school year and has 894 1/2 hours in. I have thought about dropping her out of the VA when she reaches 920 hours (what the VA requires, OH requires 900 hours.) In essence she would be done with her school year and would avoid all the extra test prep they have for this month because the state testing is at the end of the month. If we had our required hours, curriculum completion, etc. would there be any reason to report to the district before the start of the 2011-12 school year? I'm not certain that she wouldn't be considered truant. It is all so confusing. Wanted to see if those of you that have been doing this a while know.

dbmamaz
04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
You might want to list that on an Ohio site - the home school and truancy laws are all by state.

momof1gr8girl
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Well I got an answer from a friend/therapist who works with truant kids in CA. His reply was "If you are not enrolled anywhere, you are truant." He then went on to say though that at this point what difference does it make so long as she has met her yearly requirements. By the time any paperwork went out they wouldn't come knocking at the door. And I'll be registering as a home schooler for next year. He also said that it might just be as easy to send notification to the superintendent to cover my bases.

mommykicksbutt
04-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Check your state's laws, http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=OH to find out what is defined as homeschool and what is required to homeschool. Every state is a little different. Most states require at written notice or letter intent to homeschool when the child is withdrawn from the system. Keep dated copies of everything just in case. If you mail the letter of intent then send it with a signed return receipt request. If you hand deliver it, get the name of the person accepting it and ask them to sign a receipt (that you provide stating the acknowledge receipt of your intent to homeschool). Then file your receipts and a copy of the letter away. Follow the state's rule of law and you'll be fine. Where you might hit a road bump is when some stupid school administrator doesn't know the law and harasses you wanting unnecessary forms and such.

Teri
04-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Definitely double check YOUR state's laws. In Texas, homeschoolers have no requirements with the state and anyone can pull their child out at anytime to homeschool them. It would not be an issue here.

momof1gr8girl
04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and just called our city's superintendent. I had expected at least a little grief from him. He was super nice. He'd asked which curriculum our VA used. I told him and he said that he's very familiar with it. I told him we were about to fully complete our grade level curriculum in all subjects (tomorrow we'll be done) as well as completed our 920 hours. He was very satisfied. He told me that I should send notification just so that they have it on file. He asked us to add a printout of her VA progress and hours and we'd be considered square for the year. He said since she'd met her yearly progress that I did not need to provide a curriculum plan for this year. He said I'll need to be more official at the start of the next school year. I've prepared the info that I need to send to him and to our VA and will mail it all in about a week and a half.

All's well that ends well.

Teri
04-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Perfect! good luck! :D