PDA

View Full Version : multiply and divide style??

BrendaE
03-26-2011, 03:06 PM
At this point in the game, I have come to realize I dont teach like most people on the board. I do however take away some fine ideas from you all!

I started teaching DSS his multiplication tables a few days ago. He was multiplying on his own in his head by adding sets. Which is the basic premise.

I tend to teach a lot without a curriculum, and then use the curriculum to supplement afterward. At least in the younger grades. (DD is now digging right in without me often).

SO.... I would love to hear how some of you are teaching or taught your DC their times tables? Did you know they were ready? Did you just do it in order of whatever curriculum book you were using? If you or they struggled.. how did you overcome the problem?

I am asking because like so many other things, this is something I just straight up teach him (me and my white board and various objects around the house). I supplement with worksheets for speed (memorization drills) and flash cards. I am teaching multiplication and division simultaneously though. As in not 3 x 7 =21 but that all 3 of those numbers are related. Any one else do/has done it this way? If you didnt, when did you introduce division?

I really made a big deal out of this with addition and subtraction too. I called it the magic circle (drew a circle with all 3 numbers in it). If you cover up any given number in the circle, you can add or subtract the other two to find out what is covered up. I did this .. well... I dont know.. It feels like baby algebra>? :D I am using magic circles for mult/divide too. My hope is that it will make algebra a breeze when he gets there... without him ever knowing why. mouahahhaha

Wild~Iris
03-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I tried to post once before, but the post vaporized. I'm going to try again. I've used Michele's Math Multiplication Tips (http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/mmathmult.htm).I teach the inverse relationship of addition and subtraction, as well as the inverse relationship of multiplication and division. Multiplication is repeated addition and division is repeated subtraction. Both subtraction and division can be hard, so I teach the kids to turn subtraction and division problems into addition and multiplication problems and finding the unknown addend or factor. I always search for little tricks that make math fun and build computation speed. I also teach multiplication and division simultaneously because, like addition and subtraction fact families, multiplication and division also have fact families.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
We use Singapore Math and they teach multiplication and division simultaneously, number by number. My son is up to fives now. He starts out by skip counting (that's how it's introduced in the workbooks) and eventually he has been just remembering them without counting. Doing games on the computer has really helped him memorize because they're so repetitive. He likes the games on multiplication.com and funforthebrain.com.