PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Seattle!

Melyssa
04-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Well, I don't actually live IN Seattle. I'm about a half hour north on the border of Bothell and Mill Creek. :D
My husband works downtown though and we visit the city often.
I homeschool my 10 year old daughter. We're new to the area as of last September having moved here from Colorado. I'm still trying to find some secular, or inclusive, folks to hang with but no real luck so far. I am so thankful for sites such as this!
I'm not any particular type of homeschooler. I guess eclectic fits the best.

Snoopy
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Welcome Melyssa! I hope you have found your virtual "home" here and that you'll find friends IRL very soon. I have to say that you totally destroyed my perception of the Seattle area... I guess I always assumed it was less of a religious stronghold than it seems to be? Did you check the "Resources" tab for the list of secular groups by state? There might be something listed there that would be close to you.

Shoe
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Welcome Melyssa. Nice to see you here. I'm home schooling my 13 year old son for the first time this year, with plans to include my 11 year old daughter at the end of this school year. Eclectic probably fits my style too.

Melyssa
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. Nathalie, perhaps if I was in Seattle proper it would be easier but I'm in the 'burbs, so to speak. I know they are out there though, they have to be just by sheer volume of population? LOL There are way more people here than where we moved from so I am hopeful. I did find an "inclusive" group but haven't followed up to join it yet. Perhaps we'll find some there. So far though, every class my daughter has taken was filled with just the conservative religious types. I haven't found a group though that is specifically described as secular other than a statewide email loop on yahoo but it's not a true group really, people are from all over the place.

JinxieFox
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Melyssa! Great to see you here. How are you doing?

Topsy
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Welcome, Melyssa! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. Glad to see you joined the Washington group. I would love to see it grow, so if you DO meet any other secular folks, send them our way! ;) I'm like Snoopy, though...a little disappointed to have my bubble popped about the wonderful Pacific NW. I thought evangelicals had been outlawed out there years ago!! LOL!! Hope you will find lots of virtual support here at SHS.com, anyway. Take your coat off and make yourself right at home....

Melyssa
04-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Hi Wendy! Good to find you again!

Crystal G.
04-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Melyssa ~ I'm in Burien, south of Seattle. Joined the group today :)

Melyssa
04-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Crystal!! It's nice to see another WA person on here. I wish we were closer together!

carollois
04-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Hi Melyssa and welcome. I am brand new here too, from just north of you, in British Columbia. I am also in the burbs, so I know what you mean about the difficulty finding secular homeschoolers. I have been lucky and have fallen in with a great group of homeschoolers of all different religious and non-religious leanings, with no issues about our beliefs. That being said, I live in a pretty fundie area and so I have to watch my tongue until I get to know someone well enough.;) I hope that you find some like-minded homeschooling friends.

Carol

Melyssa
04-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi Carol! Your group sounds like our old one. It was very inclusive and no one even mentioned religious stuff even the ones who were. They were what I call "normal" relligious, church goers but not the conservative fundamentalist judgmental types. I wouldnt even mind finding a group like that again. Although I always thought it would be nice to have a truly secular group where anything could be discussed without any personal censure.

carollois
04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Carol! Your group sounds like our old one. It was very inclusive and no one even mentioned religious stuff even the ones who were. They were what I call "normal" relligious, church goers but not the conservative fundamentalist judgmental types. I wouldnt even mind finding a group like that again. Although I always thought it would be nice to have a truly secular group where anything could be discussed without any personal censure.

Yes, that would be ideal. I admit that though I have made friends with people who are leaning towards the fundie side of Christianity(although not the judgemental types), I tend to gravitate towards those who are more secular. However, the problem is that my kids also factor into it too, so the moms that I most identify with don't always have kids that my kids want to hang out with. What are you going to do? :)

Carol

NaNa
06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Dredging up an old thread here, sorry!

I just had to chime in and say hello from Seattle! We're new to this homeschooling thing, and I'm a bit freaked out about it, but I'm also really excited! I hope that you've started having better luck finding non-religious homeschoolers - and I hope that I can too. I plan to try some of the Seattle Homeschool Group's events this summer, so we'll see how those go!