PDA

View Full Version : Hi from MO!

porcupyne1
04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey everyone! I am SO glad I found this site. I've been homeschooling for a year now and we just relocated to MO from the Pittsburgh, PA area. Moving in itself is challenging, but I've found finding other secular homeschoolers to be nearly impossible here. I think it's great that so many folks here homeschool and are committed to their personal beliefs, but I just don't feel like we fit in, exactly. It'll be nice to have a forum to bounce ideas around online. :o

I homeschool two elementary age children. Both have gone to school in the past, but we didn't feel comfortable when the school wanted them both to start skipping grades. It just felt wrong. So, here we are. It's a blast!

We use Moving Beyond the Page, Right Start Math, and lots of other stuff I just toss in. So far, so good, I think.

I look forward to chatting with everyone.

--J

Museling
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
hello porcupyne! I'm pretty new around here too and love this website so much. I feel like I'm one of the lucky few because finding this website was one of the first steps I took on begining to homeschool. Everybody on here is nice, informative and often hilarious.

I intend to begin homeschooling my 6 year old current kindergartener around the middle of June and hope to continue on as long as we can. We've been very unhappy with the public school system and the politics behind it. Coming from my own experiences and seeing that, at least around here, the only change that has happened is that it's gotten worse, the final straws have brought us to this decision.

If you haven't found them already, there are a lot of groups, some of which are organized by state that may help you find people IRL that you can meet up with. I've begun to connect with people and we're the belt buckle of the bible belt! (say that three times fast!)

Nice meeting you and looking forward to chatting too. :D

Shoe
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Hi there porcupyne!

Welcome to the site. Like Museling, I'm pretty new around here too, but have found this a great resource with a lot of really interesting people. I look forward to hearing your views on things.

Snoopy
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the group!

ginnyjf
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Welcome! It's exciting to see a fellow Missourian on the forum!

Topsy
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Welcome to the site, porcupyne1 (love the name, btw!)!! So sorry it has been hard to connect with other secular homeschoolers so far. There are several MO groups on our resource list (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State)...I hope one of them is near enough for you to get involved with. We're thrilled you joined us here, though, and hope we will be able to be your cyber-support!! ;)

dbmamaz
04-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Ginny, did I miss your intro? I used to live in MO a long time ago . . . south central MO . . .

JinxieFox
04-15-2010, 05:55 AM
Welcome porcupyne. My sister currently lives in MO (around Fort Lost-in-the-Woods...LOL), and homeschools her middle son. Hope you find a local group there and enjoy the forum here!