PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Passes??

BrendaE
03-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Ok.. i know i know.. PS kids have to ASK to go to the bathroom and its really ridiculous BUT

I am really getting upset with DSS. His lessons are broken up into 4 things with a good AT LEAST 45 minutes between subjects. EVERY SINGLE freaking time I tell him it is time to sit down for the next lesson.. he sits down.. listens to his instructions and then says I HAVE TO USE THE BATHROOM!

I am thinking of making two laminated little bathroom passes that he can use during school hours and THAT IS IT! .... i mean COME ON ALREADY DSS!!! *facepalms*

Am i being nuts here?>??

StartingOver
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
I make the kids try to go before we sit down. It usually works. ;-)

BrendaE
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes.. but .. DUDE.. he is on the cusp of being EIGHT YEARS OLD.. Is that really something I need to keep doing?? He is repeatedly told that he has to be in his chair WITH a pencil in hand and ready to work. That includes having already used the facilities. .... GAH... I dont know why this makes me so angry....

StartingOver
03-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes.. but .. DUDE.. he is on the cusp of being EIGHT YEARS OLD.. Is that really something I need to keep doing?? He is repeatedly told that he has to be in his chair WITH a pencil in hand and ready to work. That includes having already used the facilities. .... GAH... I dont know why this makes me so angry....

One of my boys was like that till he was 11, I think it was just the way he was. It just stopped one day, I didn't push it.

SolsticeDreamer
03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I would say something along the lines of "we're starting lessons in 5 minutes, go use the bathroom now please." One of my 10 yr old twin girls still does this. She's not doing it intentionally to get out of work or making it up. I think that before we start a lesson she is so busy playing and having fun that she totally ignores her body's signals. Then when she sits down, it hits her that she needs the bathroom. My 2 cents worth fwiw.

farrarwilliams
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Don't assume that it's willful - it can be anxiety or medical or other stuff. One of my sons had this for awhile - constant use of the bathroom. It got really, really bad at one point. Check his fluid consumption too. If it's painful to hold it, see if he has a UTI (not so common in boys, but it can happen). Then, once your boxes are checked, tell him ahead of time when the bathroom is available and make sure he goes then - maybe once an hour or something. And then make it not be available at other times. It's absurd, but that's basically what we had to do until ds got out of that habit.

Aandwsmom
03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Oldest son does this.... usually right before we start Math. It is a stall tactic with him. Makes me NUTS, because my time to sit down with them uninterrupted is during daycare naptime. We have 2.5 hrs to just be the 3 of us, doing school. And at least twice a week(so 50% of the time since we only school M-Th) he does this and he will have to go #2 which means sitting and checking out latest issue of Pop. Mechanics or Pop.Science in the bathroom.

I would hate to do bathroom passes since to me that is PS and annoyed me then.... but there are days I want to wring his neck for jumping up and having to go.

dbmamaz
03-24-2011, 06:23 PM
I think i'd just tell him that he should go right before you sit down, because you want him to finish this subject before he gets up to go again. Dont take it personally. BREATH!!

amygrimis
03-24-2011, 07:14 PM
That would drive me nuts too! Everyone (I think ... hope lol) has things that make them cahraaazy that isn't a big deal to others. I would try adding in a bathroom break to your schedule 5 minutes before you start the lesson. Toys/activities get cleaned up and then it's bathroom time. I can get the aversion to a pass, but, at the same time kids do need to learn that your time is as valuable as theirs and both are wasted when these things happen.

dbmamaz
03-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Amy, your avatar . . . .um . . . it looks like a tree to me only on SECOND glance . . . first glance I ALWAYS see something else. am i the only one?

rumbledolly
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Nuts! It's drives me totally nuts! DD does the same thing right off when we start in the morning. This is after she's already stalled me 15+ minutes AND after she's already gone downstairs to first brush her hair then back down to brush her teeth THEN back down to get a drink. When I say I'm waiting her stock answer is "I KNOW MOM" said loud (and in cap letters).

If I tell her to hold off on something for a minute because I'm finishing up whatever I'm working on we normally repeat the process with her saying she'll be back she's going to get a snack. Then she comes up and when I say ok, grab your math book she'll say "I'll be back I need to go to the bathroom"....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

This is the same kid who you'll say "ok we're going to leave to go to PE (or whatever) in 5 minutes so please go to the bathroom". As I'm grabbing my keys and coat she'll have to go to the bathroom again. Then she'll have to find her shoes and water bottle because for the last 4 minutes since she went to the bathroom she's been standing in the kitchen talking to herself about how unreasonable I am.

I often wish she were like my brother. When we were kids he wouldn't use "strange" bathrooms. I'm not sure but I think he held it the whole time we were in FL visiting my aunt (2 weeks) LOL.

I just breathe into a bag when it get's to wacky here.

dbmamaz
03-24-2011, 08:15 PM
My mom was like that about bathrooms that didnt look clean/pretty enough. There was some sort of story about my parents honeymoon involving a bathroom which I never quite heard. When I lived on the commune, we only had outhouses. When she visited, she would find an excuse to go back to the bed-and-breakfast place she was staying at at least twice a day . . . and i swear she never drank anything.

BrendaE
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Nuts! It's drives me totally nuts! DD does the same thing right off when we start in the morning. This is after she's already stalled me 15+ minutes AND after she's already gone downstairs to first brush her hair then back down to brush her teeth THEN back down to get a drink. When I say I'm waiting her stock answer is "I KNOW MOM" said loud (and in cap letters).

If I tell her to hold off on something for a minute because I'm finishing up whatever I'm working on we normally repeat the process with her saying she'll be back she's going to get a snack. Then she comes up and when I say ok, grab your math book she'll say "I'll be back I need to go to the bathroom"....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

This is the same kid who you'll say "ok we're going to leave to go to PE (or whatever) in 5 minutes so please go to the bathroom". As I'm grabbing my keys and coat she'll have to go to the bathroom again. Then she'll have to find her shoes and water bottle because for the last 4 minutes since she went to the bathroom she's been standing in the kitchen talking to herself about how unreasonable I am.

OMG we have twins separated at birth i think!! ITS EXACTLY LIKE THAT HERE!!!!! Also, the concept of the words "hurry up" has ABSOLUTELY no meaning. No matter what..... very very aggravating!!

Alas.. I appreciate all the ideas and help calming down here . Thank you all so much.

I think i am going to make those 2 bathroom passes. When it fails the first time.. and I know it will... I am going to let him wiggle in his seat with the urge for just a little bit. (no worries I wont let his bladder burst or anything!)... He was having this problem in PS too. I was called quite a few times because he was in the nurses room because he wet his pants in class. He still hasnt mastered keeping dry during the night so... i know he doesnt have the strongest bladder, HOWEVER.. he has pleeeeeeeeennnnnty of opportunities to take care of his business before a 20 minute class (45 minutes between classes!). I dont think he even REALLY has to actually GO when we sit down to work.. its just a procrastination technique of his.

*breathes more*

dbmamaz
03-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Have you had a doctor check it out to make sure there isnt actually something going on?

BrendaE
03-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Have you had a doctor check it out to make sure there isnt actually something going on?

Yes. Its an emotional left over from his rough first few years of life. Dr's said the sleeping part should just be left alone until it goes away on its own. (its actually gotten where he does wake up at least half the mornings dry so thats good). They did the physical and urinalysis too. He is good to go.

farrarwilliams
03-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Poor kid - no wonder he's anxious about it. When my son went through that - going to the bathroom all the time and making me nuts - we never figured out what was going on - we just slowly got him out of the habit and he moved on. Obviously you have to do something to curtail it.

InstinctiveMom
03-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Am I just blind?? What are y'all seeing?? Somebody PM me!! :P

As for th stall tactics, yes - my oldest is the champion and his tactics are legion. When the physical stall tactics run out, he has mental check-outs that he engages in, better and deeper than anyone I've ever seen, lol. Makes me insane :)

We do take breaks between every subject - just a few minutes to grab a drink or a bite or walk around for a minute - bathroom, included. That helps with my boys.
~h

BrendaE
03-25-2011, 01:01 AM
its a hairy buttcrack... or thats what I see anyway... though I do see the tree first...

I have to do the research about the dairy thing. I would be loathe to remove dairy from our menu. I simply cant remove it from his and not ours... I dont have the energy to separate everything out like that. I will check in to it. Though he really really reeaaallllly had a first 5 years of his life bad bad bad experience. He was removed from his mothers care. permanently. she has no rights.

dbmamaz
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
sometimes i see a butt, sometimes i see boobs. like the tree of life growing out of a bosom.

rumbledolly
03-25-2011, 11:41 AM
I thought the avatar looked like a pretty tree inside a chicken egg but I do have some really deep unresolved issues.

I think we need to have the first ever SHS contest to crown the child with the most creative ways to stall doing school work! We sit them down at a desk facing the judges, ask them to open a book, computer, start a worksheet, and then we see which child can figure out a way to squirm out of it! They get points for overall cuteness, range of emotion, looks (rolling eyes, mean glances), squirminess, whining, and best verbal excuse!

The winner gets a velcro chair and a crown. The winner's parent(s) receive a case of wine, a paperbag to breathe into, and a couple of boxes of tylenol or the headache remedy of their choice!

I keep telling DD - when I was in high school we had to ask to use the PADDLE! Seriously a large paddle painted red or blue that you had to carry to the bathroom. The wood shop made them. To think of all the germs lurking on them....ewwwwww! Though no one really used the school bathrooms to do anything relating bodily functions - it was a smoking lounge for those who could not go to the smoking lounge because they lost the priviledge getting caught smoking in the bathroom...duh!

dbmamaz
03-26-2011, 10:51 PM
that was the medical belief at the time. I was 'allergic to' dairy and wheat, according to the doctor, because my constant diahrea (no, i DONT know how to spell that word, and it doesnt really bother me) stopped when they removed them from my diet for a week and returned when they fed them to me. I was on soy formula for maybe 6 months, maybe a year, they dont remember, and then when they put me back on the milk and wheat, i was 'fine'. Years later, my constant horrible stomach problems were just genetic, cuz my dad had that too. Ok, my college roommate thought I had an ulcer, and the campus doc gave me charcoal tablets which didnt help. 20 years later . .. . omg, i'm so much healthier when I dont eat wheat and milk!

dbmamaz
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Oh, and my sister had chronic UTIs and corn allergies. Guess what I later read as a somewhat rare side effect of corn allergies? UTIs. My sister, tho, horribly ill with all sorts of auto-immune illnesses, refuses to stop eating corn. or gluten.

dbmamaz
03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
When i took the intolerance test (which I had to pay for) i called up the company, rather suprised by just how many foods I reacted to, and asked if people REALLY quit ALL those foods, it seems like too much work. And the woman basically said, it depends on how sick they are and how badly they want to get better. After i had similar results from the allergist (who only tested for about 1/4th as many foods, tho), I got serious.

OrganicFrmGrl
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I think we need to have the first ever SHS contest to crown the child with the most creative ways to stall doing school work! We sit them down at a desk facing the judges, ask them to open a book, computer, start a worksheet, and then we see which child can figure out a way to squirm out of it! They get points for overall cuteness, range of emotion, looks (rolling eyes, mean glances), squirminess, whining, and best verbal excuse!

The winner gets a velcro chair and a crown. The winner's parent(s) receive a case of wine, a paperbag to breathe into, and a couple of boxes of tylenol or the headache remedy of their choice!

Where can I sign up for that contest! It is amazing how creative they can be when they want something or to get out of something.

My son doesn't use the bathroom excuse but his excuse it that he is hungry!......I keep reminding him that he ATE breakfast or lunch, whatever the case maybe. I do give snack breaks between lessons and sometimes during buy, I also politely remind him that in PS there are NO snack breaks! I would see that it would be difficult to to limit the bathroom breaks d/t the fact that you just never know!