PDA

View Full Version : Hello from St. Marys, GA (AKA: B.F.E.)

AlishaYouch
04-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi! My name is Alisha, and my husband, Dan, have decided to begin Home-educating our son, Daniel, beginning in August 2010. Daniel is an extremely bright eight year-old, currently in 3rd grade and working above grade-level in all subjects. Dan is in the U.S. Navy, and we are therefore tossed about on the wind when it comes to the location and quality of our local schooling options, and we have decided that we've had enough! Our current elementary school here in St. Marys has grossly failed our son this year, and we had begun pursuing permission to place him "out of zone" in a better- performing elementary school in the district. However, the Camden County Schools are facing a budget crisis (isn't everyone?), and they have just effected budget cuts and teacher layoffs for next year that will include the complete elimination of all music, art and technology education in the elementary and middle schools. That straw broke these camels' backs!

Dan and I both are products of public education, with both of us having attended public high schools and having earned our Bachelors' and Masters' degrees from public universities. While we are not entirely displeased with public education, we have enough general misgivings and, more importantly, specific concerns about Daniel's education, that we have decided to take matters into our own hands. We have applied for enrollment into the Georgia Cyber Academy, which is the public virtual charter school here in GA based in the K12 curriculum. I know there is quite a bit of discourse about virtual schooling and whether it is actually homeschooling, whether it is a cop-out, whether it means I am still just a Tool of The Man. After having reviewed the K12, curriculum, we feel it meets our needs perfectly. We were not looking for religious-based education, and at the same time we were not specifically seeking a secular curriculum. We wanted a flexible, broad-based classical education that we could tailor to our son's learning style, strengths and needs, and we plan to supplement the K12 curriculum with instrumental music, religious studies and a strong background in political history.

So, that's our intro, and I look forward to getting to know you all, learning from your wisdom and experience and enjoying the community!

Shoe
04-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I know there is quite a bit of discourse about virtual schooling and whether it is actually homeschooling, whether it is a cop-out, whether it means I am still just a Tool of The Man. After having reviewed the K12, curriculum, we feel it meets our needs perfectly.That is what is important-that it meets your needs. Each child is individual with different styles of learning, different stages of development and at different stages of achievement. It seems to me that the beauty of home education is that the parents can choose to direct their children's education using whatever resources, curriculum and learning styles best suit the needs of the family at a particular point in time...and if those needs change, then the methods can change as well.

Topsy
04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Welcome, Alisha!! So glad you found your way here!! I'm with Shoe. You will definitely find some strong opinions against virtual schooling around the net, and maybe even a few on this board, but in the end, all you can do is what is best for your child. If that happens to be K12, then AWESOME!! If K12 offers you the freedoms and choices you are seeking, then go for it!! Wishing you the best of luck with your new adventure. Hope you will hang out here as often as possible and keep us up to date with all the excitement!

Topsy

AlishaYouch
04-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Topsy! I appreciate the welcome and the support of our individual choices. (And opinions are like . . . well, you know . . . everybody has one!)

hjdong
04-11-2010, 11:13 PM
As I have mentioned in an earlier post, I fall firmly in the "do what works camp." It often makes me unpopular with everyone. ;-)

Welcome to the board.

AlishaYouch
04-11-2010, 11:17 PM
LOL, Holly! I say if you're going to tweak off people, you may as well tweak off a lot of them! :-)

Snoopy
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome Alisha, I think you need to do what works best for your family and if that's K12, then that's K12. You don't owe anything to anyone but your best effort to secure for your child the education that you feel he needs.

reversemigration
04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Welcome, Alisha! St. Mary's is off the beaten path, for sure...I worked on an archaeological dig up the coast from you on St. Catherine's island, many years back. I grew up in South Carolina, but had the good fortune to have been born in a college town, which made a lot of difference when it came to finding civilization. Hopefully, as you settle in more and get the lay of the land, you'll find more like-minded souls.

As far as educating Daniel, I'm with you: do what works for you both. Fitting a child into someone else's conception of what an education is "supposed to be" is what's gotten most of us into homeschooling in the first place. Also, it seems like homeschooling is like any other school of thought - once you reach a certain number of people, factions appear, most with the idea that only they carry the torch of purity and truth.

For me, what seems to be a strong point of homeschooling is that if something doesn't seem to be working, you can try something else without a great deal of fuss!

AlishaYouch
04-14-2010, 06:53 AM
I appreciate the support from both of you. I am glad to have found a group that supports parent-based education in ALL its forms. And as for St. Marys - I will fortunately NOT be settling in, this is but another duty station in my husband's Navy career, and we will be leaving before we have the misfortune of beginning to see this backwater town as "home" or "normal" - LOL! :-o