PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Tonight: Alton Brown's Lamb Tikka Masala

Museling
04-10-2010, 01:44 PM
In Alton Brown we trust.....

I just wanted to share with everyone what's going to be for dinner this evening, it has to be one of my favorite dishes.

Lamb Tikka Masala (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lamb-tikka-masala-recipe/index.html)

Last time I made it, I tried to make my on naan bread and there is no way to make it without a tandoor oven that goes up to 800 degrees (although it would be cool to get Mike to modify the over to do that...) so I'm going to see if I can find a local indian restaurant to buy some from.

What's nice about making your own masala is that you can tweak it to contain as much or as little of any one ingredient- like if you're not too fond of the clove, you can cut down. It does make your home smell like an indian restaurant, but in my opinion, nothing could be better. Indian food is one of the most healthy and flavorful of the cuisines.

To do some homeschooling, I'm going to bring Logan with me to the market and talk about what I know of Indian culture, how most of them are vegitarians and if they do eat meat, they eat lamb, chicken, and fish but no beef. The reason we have so many spices to flavor our dishes is because of the Spice Trading that went on and was the reason that Christopher Columbus went on to discover America....all while we're shopping for goodies at Central Market...yum!! Will post pictures of the meal later on so I can tease, I mean share the yumminess! Hope all of y'all have a good dinner too!

And again, in Alton Brown we trust!

Snoopy
04-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey Denise, my friend makes naan bread all the time and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a special oven. Would you like to ask her for the recipe for you?

Museling
04-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Sure! I'd love that! I've had it made in a tandoor once and there is just something that the 800 degrees does to the bread that makes it sooooo crispy and chewy and crusty like the best pizza crust you've ever had....

argh, do I have to wait til 7 to eat? I had lunch and now I'm starving again! lol!

Snoopy
04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Naan Bread (Makes 3 naan)

Ingredients:

2 c unbleached flour (I have also used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp yeast
4 tbs of lukewarm milk
1 tbs of oil
2 tbs of yogurt ( I have also used my sourdough starter in place of the yogurt)
1 egg
2-3 tbs melted ghee or butter, for brushing

Steps:

In a mixing bowl mix your milk and yeast, letting the yeast bloom.

Mix together your salt and flour ( or any other spices you would like)

Mix everything together except the butter to form a soft dough. ( I had to add a little more yogurt when I used the whole wheat flour)

Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 min until smooth and elastic.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and let rise, in a warm place for 45 min. or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees to 500 degrees depending on your oven
Place your baking sheet (heavy is better I use a cast iron flat pan) in the oven to preheat.

Punch down your dough and divide into 3 equal pieces and shape in to balls. Cover two of them and roll out the third on a lightly floured board. Roll into a teardrop shape about 10 inches long, 5 inches wide and about 1/4 -1/3 inch thickness.

Take rolled out naan and lightly toss it on the hot baking sheet bake for about 3- to 4 min or until the bread is puffed and golden brown flip over and do the same. Once done take out and brush with ghee and season to taste. You can do all three at the same time or roll out the others while one is baking so you are ready to bake the next one.

Note: You can also add any spices or seasonings to the flour when you add the salt for a different twist.

Note: to make pizza after bread is baked add your sauce, cheese and topping and bake to your liking.

Museling
04-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Thank you so much! I've got it rising right now. I had to use greek yogurt (didn't buy any regular) but I watered it down with a little milk so it wasn't so thick. Will let you know how it turns out!

paojava
04-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh man, I need to try that naan recipe too! I watched the AB episode about chicken tikka last week...so yummy! But, I must say that it looks too spicy for my wussie family so I made the cooks illustrated version last week. Mmm mmm good!

AlishaYouch
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, I love Chicken Tikka Masala and have not yet tried lamb. I have never made an AB recipe that was not spectacularly delish, so I can't wait to hear how it turned out! BTW, my husband, who is our family baker, makes naan with a recipe from the Baking With Julia (Child) cookbook that is quite superb. I believe it is very similar to the one Snoopy posted, but I can double-check and post it as an alternative. He always bakes it on our pizza stone, and it has been very authentic in taste, texture and appearance. (I am drooling at the thought of all of this deliciousness!)

CroppinMom
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Denise,

That is one of the few AB recipes we haven't tried in our house. Thanks for sharing it and thanks Snoopy for the naan recipe. We use AB in schooling every week and I am constantly amazed at what we learn. With the past 10 seasons on DVD we've only managed to work our way through a portion of them so far.

reversemigration
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
It's funny how bread recipes interrelate...that naan recipe is awfully close to the pita bread recipe that I use! One of my regrets about moving here has been that my cooking skills have slipped...when there are three Indian restaurants within walking distance, it kinda kills the urge to DIY. ("Dad, this gobi aloo is a lot better than yours!")

Museling
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Kim,

If you've got a DVR, you should set it to record it -everyday typically airs 3 different episodes though they seem to stick to a few core seasons. I think my all time favorite episode is the Christmas Special where he makes wassle, sugar plums and roast goose. The lady who played the sugar plum fairy is HILARIOUS in that one. :) Also, I believe a lot of the older episodes are available on youtube as well and they're not bootlegged on there (at least that's what I heard)

Ben,

The closest Indian restaurant I have is a good half hour away and considering how labor intensive it is, I don't blame you!

CroppinMom
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Denise,

Thanks for the ideas. We have a couple of seasons on DVD but not all of them yet. We do love us some Alton Brown around here.

Wilma
04-21-2010, 05:21 PM
We love Alton. I need to get some on dvd. They make great science lessons. I'll have to try the masala and naan. DH and I love Indian food and we need to get the kids to eat it. It's so good for you. I'm making peppers stuffed with curried couscous tonight. Itt'll be interesting to see how it goes over.

CroppinMom
04-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Wilma,

That is exactly what we use it for - My son learns how to make yummy meals and picks up an enormous amount of science without even realizing it.

Snoopy
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
I'm watching Alton right now and Noah came by and tried to change the channel to a cartoon channel, but I told him Alton was showing us how to make Spaghetti and meat sauce (one of Noah's favorite dishes) so now he's engrossed in the show! I don't think that I would have thought to entice him to watch the show if it hadn't been for this thread (and an earlier one about Alton) so thanks to all!