PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for the Second Time Around ?

Stella M
03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
There's only 4.5yrs between my second and third, but it feels like a lifetime. When my girls were ds's age they were basically educated together and it was exciting! Also chaotic - balancing baby and school, trying to work out which way of h/s suited us, dealing with all the naysayers.

It was so exciting seeing all their learning 'firsts' and realising I was up for the challenge of h/s'ing. We did lots of lovely crafts and walks and storytelling and baking and crafts! and they played things like Fuzzy Felt 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' and I felt deeply immersed in the whole process.

We still had problems with being the heathens in a christian community though - some things never change...

With ds, it all feels matter-of-fact and efficient. Teach math, teach reading, do interesting extra subjects, read, narrate, read-aloud. It all works fine. We don't need new curriculum or a new method. He's happy to play Lego afterwards and hang out with a friend sometimes. Happy to go to the park or for a walk. Not really into the whole craft thing. That's fine.

I just don't feel all that inspired. It was exciting when ds read his book the other day but then it's back to normal. Ho-hum. This is what we do.

How can I gt the thrill back second time around ??

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Honestly, i even felt that way with parenting - each kid's 'firsts' were less exciting that the kid before. I'm just kinda over it all. but at least you also dont have all the worry, right?

farrarwilliams
03-21-2011, 08:23 PM
That was always my challenge in teaching. Doing a class the second or third time around it often went terribly awry because I had the expectation that it would go easily (hey, it did BEFORE!). Sigh. So no answers. But I'm all ears.

wife&mommy
03-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I am fearing this with my kids. They are 2.5 years apart, so just far enough that they aren't really on the same page.

Stella M
03-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Umm...looks like "Suck it up!" is the (silent) answer :)

Maybe this is just the 8 year homeschool hump ? Lying in bed last night I worked out that I still have ten years to go ( most likely and all things being well, mostly me! ) so I'll have to come up with some way of taking a shine to this h/s thing again.

Long- term h/s'ers ? Suggestions ? Help ?

BrendaE
03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
well no.. not suck it up. I think it feels nice actually to already know what I am doing. That doesnt happen to often in my life hehe. However, if you know whats going on, and he is just floating along with it quite nicely, it gives you the time to put together a once in a while DOOZY! something really fun that you didnt have the time and/or patience the last time around. DD and DSS are such different kinds of people and learners that I am not in a non experimental mode with DSS ....ever... haha I wish I was though.. a little peace and relaxation... frankly I am jealous!

Stella M
03-22-2011, 06:42 PM
I know, spoilt whinging...who'd complain about things going right ?!! :)
It's just that h/s used to be a passion and now it feels like a job. I want the passion back!

Kylie
03-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Maybe your honeymoon period is only just coming to an end...your feeling so comfortable with your long term friend that it just doesn't have the spark it used to? That isn't always a bad thing. Maybe you and ds need to find an interest to do together to get some of the fun back?