PDA

View Full Version : Great

Laina
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Just as I'm getting ready to announce our exciting decision to homeschool, the headlines in our local/state news today are about this 21-year-old on trial for murder who is blaming his parents for making him feel like an outcast because of homeschooling him. Tragic case, and the guy is likely mentally ill.

Maybe I should hold off on the big announcement.

Aandwsmom
03-21-2011, 02:52 PM
HUGS!
Don't let that discourage you!
I freak out everytime I hear something bad about a daycare, as that is my profession. I always worry that clients will think... gee does my provider do that, etc. but then I figure they would leave if they felt that way.
If we focused on all the bad things we hear or read or see about homeschooling... we would make ourselves crazy.
Congrats on your homeschooling choice!

BrendaE
03-21-2011, 03:01 PM
I wouldnt let it deter YOU from home schooling. One of the reasons his parents probably brought him home was because he had some problems/issues with being with his peers etc. Who is to say? Not I.

I would however maybe hold off with the announcement. Just for a little while. If you dont want to though and you make the big exciting announcement .. do it first without the kids present. That way if it is vocally pointed out anything about that case, you have the chance to say what you think on the matter as well as inform those said vocal dissenters that it is your choice and you want them to be positive about the choice to YOUR children. At the very least they can just smile and nod. They will eventually see how the children are really benefiting with their own eyes .

Just my 2 cents.

Laina
03-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I wouldnt let it deter YOU from home schooling. One of the reasons his parents probably brought him home was because he had some problems/issues with being with his peers etc. Who is to say? Not I.

I would however maybe hold off with the announcement. Just for a little while. If you dont want to though and you make the big exciting announcement .. do it first without the kids present. That way if it is vocally pointed out anything about that case, you have the chance to say what you think on the matter as well as inform those said vocal dissenters that it is your choice and you want them to be positive about the choice to YOUR children. At the very least they can just smile and nod. They will eventually see how the children are really benefiting with their own eyes .

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, guys. I'm not letting it discourage me. This kid had an isolating situation--only allowed to associate within the mormon church--and mental issues. It doesn't at all resemble our situation. Good advice about holding off and then announcing when dc are not around--thanks!

MarkInMD
03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Reminds me of when Bill Maher used the Andrea Yates tragedy to expound on his anti-homeschooling views on Politically Incorrect, as if homeschooling is what her main problem was.

Unfortunately, I concur that it's probably best to hold off announcing. People get jumpy about things they don't need to get jumpy about.

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I was just talking to my hubby about that recent case of people who had adopted 4 kids, including specail needs twins. After socail services had been called several times, and found nothing, the parents took the kids out of school to home school. One of the other kids in the family called a family member outside of the house and asked them to call socail services again because he was worried about the twins, and a week later the twins were dead. and they media tries to blame homeschooling?

farrarwilliams
03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Just before our K year of homeschooling, all the hs laws here changed because the year before, a woman who claimed to be "homeschooling" actually murdered her kids. Tragic. And has nothing to do with actual homeschooling. Sigh.

wife&mommy
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
All of this makes me so sad, and really has nothing at all to do with homeschooling, I wish the media would not put that spin on it.

MarkInMD
03-21-2011, 10:26 PM
It's kind of like saying you should eat meat because Hitler was a vegetarian. People struggle with cause and effect sometimes.

Ariadne
03-21-2011, 10:45 PM
People struggle with cause and effect sometimes.^^understatement of the year^^

Sometimes?! LOL

MarkInMD
03-22-2011, 06:12 AM
I aim for subtlety. Sometimes. :)