PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling while working full time

jeliau
03-19-2011, 07:02 AM
I've accepted a full-time position beginning next month. I'll be relocating to El Paso, Texas, and my son will be joining me there in June. What do other working parent's that are also homeschoolers out there do to keep the schedule going? What type of childcare do you use during work hours? Do you have projects ongoing during childcare or do all the schooling one-on-one with you alone?

My son is ADHD with some sensory integration issues. I'm considering a nanny, family child care provider, "on-campus" homeschool, or actually sending my son to a private school for ADD/ADHD/Dyslexic/Asperger's kids that has 1/4 ratio.

Please keep in mind that my son has been homeschooled since kindergarten. He attended ps SN preschool (went well) and tried 3rd grade ps last year for 13 school days (horrible experience for him and me.)

Any and ALL advice appreciated!

Jeliau

Mom to dd (24), dd (21), homeschooled ds (9), and gd (1)

Pefa
03-19-2011, 07:58 AM
First off congratulations. So sorry you have to leave HI for TX (a state which I'm sure has many charms but I've yet to find them, plus I hate being hot).

I'm going to warn you upfront that I'm really burnt out right now from working fulltime and hs'ing and a host of other stuff so my words may be unduly negatively colored, feel free to ignore everything I say. Working fulltime and hs'ing is tough but doable. Some of it involves thinking about what's most important to you educationally for your son - does he need to have beautiful handwriting or do you need to work more with the processing issues so he'll be able to pick stuff up along the way? Does he need you as teacher or mom? Finding a school you can live with (all the while knowing that there is no perfect answer to any of these questions only the answer that works for you and your family) may free up enough time energy so that you can enjoy each other rather than having to worry about falling behind.

Does your job offer any flexibility? The boys & I are morning folk so I work second shift. I can do my work really well at less optimal times of the day but I can't help the boys when I'm tired. The downside is, of course, that I rarely get more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep so I'm always tired.

Finding childcare for kids outside of "normal" hours can be tough, but if you're near a college you should be able to find somebody to hire - just think about are you hiring somebody to help with the schooling or to keep ds safe and relatively entertained while you're at school.

This is jumbled, sorry, I'll try to post more later . Again congrats on the new job that's really exciting.

jeliau
03-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks Pefa! You sound tired and I'm not looking forward to that! Hardest part will be that my ds and I are BOTH night people and we'll have to get used to early mornings. My new job is as the Red Cross Station Manager for William Beaumont Army Medical Center. That means a very rigid schedule M-F 0730-1630, plus on call pretty much 24/7. The on call will be limited but luckily he's old enough now that he can handle when I'm on the phone at home or he can tag along if I need to go into the office for something. Biggest issue will be eventual deployments with the military (gone about 6 months at a time) every few years when his father will have to "take over" the schooling.

All of these are why I'm even considering the special private school. I'll be able to take him to night things like 4-H and such, but I've always had him so busy during the day and I think he'll really miss all that. Summer child care will be okay but come school I don't want him just with little kids in a "daycare" like setting. He's done that before for a week at a time and acted as a "helper" while there. He liked that but I think long-term would be different. Also, most homeschool moms don't want to do childcare, esp. when adding an ADHD kid in the mix. If I found one, that would be ideal! Anyone out there in El Paso and interested in the job, let me know! :)

I've got until June to find him summer care so that helps. Summer will be easy but it's when PS school starts in the fall that I'm worried about.

Jeliau

Mom to dd (24), dd (21), homeschooled ds (9), gd (1)

Pefa
03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you've got things well in hand (which is why you'll do such a good job as Red Cross station manager).

I'm a pragmatist - I started homeschooling because of custody, geography, and that whole not liking to make school lunches thing, and continued because of geography and biology. It's never been my belief that hs'ing is the only way or the forever way, just the best choice for us at the time. Just so you know where I'm coming from. I think you're right that summer will be easy and it's great that you've got those couple of months to look around and see what's happening. Maybe you'll be able to find the homeschooling group or co-op that can include your ds with little pain which would be really cool. Or maybe you'll be able to find a tutor/babysitter - but that seems trickier to me. Even if you were able to find the right tutor/governess/babysitter (because believe me he won't be happy in with little kids long term and,understably, most day care providers won't know what to do withi him) that could run into beaucoup bucks, perhaps even on a par with the school and would it really be that much better? Maybe yes maybe no. To me, it makes sense to at least enroll him in the school, which sounds pretty nifty, even if it's a back up plan. I don't know how hard it is to get into or how many students they accept, but I'd sleep easier knowing I had something I felt good about, even if it wasn't my first choice, than scrambling at the end and maybe not being able to get him in at all. Then if you find a better fit, you may have to eat whatever deposit, but you've still covered all your bases.
All this sounds a little like I'm copping out on telling you "of course you can do it all". You can, but do you have to? You are both night people so you'll still have your evenings to fool around, or play games or watch movies or learn serbo-croatian or whatever, without having to be responsible for everything. Even as unschool-y as I am, this year has been a huge struggle to help the boys get the skills they need to pursue their interests. Which again, is my situation not yours, I just don't want anybody else ending up in this bind.

I know Shoe works fulltime and hs's, although I haven't seen him around lately, hopefully he or somebody else can give you some more advice.

jeliau
03-25-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks again. Guess parents working outside the home and homeschooling aren't too common!

Since my son is 10 next month he's really getting independent with much of his school work. I did find a potential nanny, at least for the summer, that is homeschooled herself and graduating high school this year. She's also available longer term if I need it and could be a tutor/nanny mix if I want to keep him homeschooling and oversee his work. She's the oldest of four so used to watching kids my ds' age.

I start work on April 18th so I'll start interviewing then, and I'm going to go visit the SN school I found there as a possibility. Hopefully things will all work out smoothly.

Jeliau

Alanna Rosewood
04-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Dh and I both work full-time.
DS 11 is an asspie and very independent so he stays home during the day and does his own thing as well as visit Grandma some.
He does T4L when I prompt him but he's a good candidate for unschooling too. I work with him some,he likes to be read to,and "make" him do "school" things but he's VERY creative and builds things like a Lego Normandy so he does fine as a self learner. It wasn't my "ideal" homeschool let me tell you. I have hundreds of sites bookmarked and many a curricu that I've thought about but he learns better doing his own thing.
Dh also get's home somewhat early so he's not home alone all day,again,not ideal but it's working way better for him and us than public school did!!!