PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day meals?

Batgirl
03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
We are having corned beef, braised cabbage, leek and potato soup, and shamrock cookies or custard.

Is anyone else making anything special?

KristinK
03-17-2011, 10:04 PM
we had green, shamrock-shaped pancakes, and honeydew :)

didn't have time for the corned beef meal, although that's what I wanted to make!

MrsLOLcat
03-19-2011, 12:45 AM
I made colcannon and soda bread. I made enough for leftovers.... nom nom nom.

russ.man
03-19-2011, 06:40 PM
We had roasted leg of lamb with colcannon and soda bread. It was amazing!

wife&mommy
03-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I made colcannon and soda bread. I made enough for leftovers.... nom nom nom.
I've always wanted to try colcannon, do you have a good recipe?

BrendaE
03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
We did Beef stew in guiness and colcannon on leprechaun day, and then ate leftovers yesterday... and since I am on a kick, there is a corned beef cabbage and potato boil festival going on the stove right now :D DD never did make soda bread, ah well.

BrendaE
03-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Colcannon.. the easy way (or so i think?)

Make about 2 lbs of mashed potatoes (the real way)
fry 3-4 strips of bacon, set them aside... fry up about 2 cups shredded cabbage in the bacon grease... crumble bacon then add bacon and cabbage to the potatoes.
(some people like to add sour cream too but not me)

wife&mommy
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Colcannon.. the easy way (or so i think?)

Make about 2 lbs of mashed potatoes (the real way)
fry 3-4 strips of bacon, set them aside... fry up about 2 cups shredded cabbage in the bacon grease... crumble bacon then add bacon and cabbage to the potatoes.
(some people like to add sour cream too but not me)

OK that I can do, YUM!

MoonSprite
03-19-2011, 09:28 PM
We did corned beef with cabbage and potatoes, and had Irish soda bread.

And DH took the kids for green milkshakes :rolleyes:

russ.man
03-21-2011, 08:57 AM
I make Colcannon almost the same as BrendaE, but I sautee onions with the cabbage, and a ton of butter to the finished product. Also, sometimes I use ham instead of bacon. Both are equally yummy!!!

Aandwsmom
03-21-2011, 11:55 AM
We usually have everything green! The boys were out of town though, so Hubby and I went out and I got nothing green. It was horrible, I will never let my kids be gone at St. Patrick's Day as that is our special day!

We usually start the day with Green Eggs and Ham, lunch is normal(so we dont get green food color overload!LOL) and then I try to come up with something fun for dinner that dyes green easily. We have had green rice, green spaghetti, green chicken, green fish, etc. plus usually Spinach or Salad or Green beans. Even the butter on the bread is green.
And I make Rainbow cupcakes for dessert with Cool Whip clouds on top and some gold chocolate coins that the leprachauns left that the end of the rainbow.

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
So, isnt this actually a religious holiday? Do you guys ever wonder about putting so much effort in to it? Do you talk about the meaning, or is it just a fun day to pretend you are irish (well, unless you are of course) and dye things green and talk about leprechauns?

Aandwsmom
03-21-2011, 03:19 PM
We are not religious, so not something important for us. I do know the meaning of it
I have no clue why this has always been an exciting day for me, but it has. When my boys were little, older son was 15 mo. we started the tradition of Green Eggs and Ham for breakfast and I read the story. And as they have gotten older, the expansion of green dinner has gotten more and more.

And we do leprachaun stuff as well.

FYI: Did you know that scholars couldnt agree on whether St. Patrick was born on March 8th or March 9th so they decided to compromise and add the 2 numbers to get 17th and that is why we celebrate on that day.

dbmamaz
03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, i'm sure i've mentioned i generally hate holidays. Tho i have come to appreciate xmas as an excuse to make pies.

MrsLOLcat
03-21-2011, 03:39 PM
For me, it's a day I can talk to the kids about their Irish heritage on their dad's side. He's Aussie, and a lot of his family were Irish originally. So we talk some about who St. Patrick was, why the Irish feel he's important, and just talk about Ireland in general. I play more with the mythology and culture than anything - leprechauns, fairy folk, way of life, food, etc.

Busygoddess
03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
We celebrate St. Patrick's day as a day to celebrate our Irish heritage. Generally, we do a bunch for the day - special meals, decorations, Irish-themed entertainment, etc. This year, though, we went light. All we did for the day was a simple dinner of slow-cooked corned beef and boiled potatoes. The corned beef cooked for 4 hours and I had added some Smithwick's Irish Ale to it. It was the most tender corned beef I've ever had, you didn't need a knife at all.