PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds

BrendaE
03-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Mc Donalds Deluxe breakfast ( I just picked up 3 for us) in Hawai'i is 2 scoops of rice, soy sauce packet, scrabled eggs w/ cheese, 2 slices of spam and 3 round little sort of sausage patty looking things. I wonder if it is like this closer to Honolulu...

McDonalds in Sweden (Piteň) Used to have a snowmobile drive through. Too bad they got rid of that but they did sell it to a company called MAX that is very tasty...

dbmamaz
03-16-2011, 02:06 PM
hubby says in canada they had pizza.

hockeymom
03-16-2011, 02:25 PM
I've seen lobster rolls advertised on their signs locally, but I don't know that I've ever been inside one.

Pilgrim
03-16-2011, 02:36 PM
A few weeks ago, DS chose breakfast at McDonald's as his 'treat' for accomplishing something. I had the fruit and oatmeal. Wow, it was very good, I've been on a fruit and oatmeal kick since.

dbmamaz
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Did you read that the mcdonalds fruit and oatmeal has more sugar than a snickers and more calories than a big mac?

Pefa
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Did you read that the mcdonalds fruit and oatmeal has more sugar than a snickers and more calories than a big mac?
You have a problem with that?

In Vermont, if you ask, they have to give you real maple syrup (well, they use maple sugar) for your oatmeal. Funny to think of such a huge chain having regional variations.

farrarwilliams
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
The menu in China was 100% the same as the US, though without all the various specials that come through all the time. The only exception was that the apple pie was deep fried and there was also a yummy pineapple pie! In Hong Kong and Macau you could get red bean or taro ice cream as a special.

One of my proudest moments in speaking Chinese happened in a HK MacDonald's where I had the very bizarre opportunity to translate for a poor Chinese tourist who only spoke Mandarin to the woman behind the counter who only spoke Cantonese and English. The woman behind the counter was also amused, though she may have been laughing at the "hick" who only spoke Mandarin, which isn't so good.

Pilgrim
03-16-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks.
.:rolleyes:

Outofrange
03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
We tried the Mc D's oatmeal when we were on the road headed out early one morning. The oatmeal was way to watery. It seemed like it must be instant and they added too much water. The kids wouldn't eat it and I was upset I spent so much on instant oatmeal :( I also ordered the kids hot chocolates (I guess I was shooting for a sugar coma after hearing about the sugar content in the oatmeal haha) but they gave us coffee instead! So then the kids were grouchy and I was more upset. GRRR. We haven't been back since.

Stella M
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM
In London they used to do toasted English muffins with apricot jam. Not very exotic! I ate that for breakfast more times than I care to admit :)

BrendaE
03-16-2011, 06:09 PM
My morning run to mcdonalds was spurred on by the fact that when I tried to make coffee this morning we were OUT! I have been here nigh on 2 years and I didnt know about the weird breakfast they served. I was sad about no pancakes or BACON or sausage really. the rice balls and spam blah....

Outofrange
03-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I have to agree with you on the SPAM. YUCK!

russ.man
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
I have not been to McDonald's in quite a few years, but we were at one in Germany, and we had to pay extra for condiments.
I live in MN the home of SPAM. In fact, there is a SPAM museum in Austin. I like it because it is free and actually pretty fun! That is the only time my kids have ever had SPAM....they give out free samples!

BrendaE
03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Spam is a popular comfort food here. During WWII things got really scarce and canned items were the thing to have. Loads and loads of spam were made available from Uncle Sam. I even see spam flavoured macadamia nuts on the grocery shelves... ewwww LOL. I dont mind spam per se... I just wasnt expecting it.

Ive also been to a japanese Mc Donalds. its said Maka Dona Luuudos ! that was over a decade ago now though. Very expensive. hahaha

Busygoddess
03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
There can actually be quite a bit of variety, even within a city, with what's offered at McDonald's. I used to be a manager & spent time at several locations. The store I actually worked at was the last local store to have fried pies. We also were one of the last to switch to toasted buns. Our store was too small for the ovens for bagels & biscuits, so we never had those. Bacon was another item we didn't have, that all other local stores had. Some stores had just vanilla ice cream, while others had vanilla, chocolate, and swirl. During my manager training, we learned about some (but definitely not all) of the differences between locations. Some of the differences are due to store size & equipment. Plus, regional variations are just good business sense. I haven't eaten at McDonald's for years, so I have no idea what their menu looks like now.

mommykicksbutt
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
In over a year and half that we've been here in Spain we've eaten at a MickiD's only twice (both times on our son's pleading). They don't serve breakfast here and only have the traditional staples of the McD menu. It just confirmed that we still aren't impressed. Frankly, the Spanish, and for that matter the Europeans, don't really care for fast food very much and look down on it. Most Europeans think that fast food (like McD) is all Americans eat. Yet, with that said, they must get enough business to remain open but every time we drive passed one they are empty and void of customers.

KristinK
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
they had pizza for a while in Canada, but that was well over a decade ago, and I can't think of anytime I've seen it since. It didn't last long, as far as I remember...

dbmamaz
03-24-2011, 11:18 PM
dh says it lasted a few years - he was in ottowa - but he left in 97

alexdk
03-25-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't know if it is still the same, but when I was in France (I grew up there), and my father took me to McDonads in Nice for a treat..he always had a beer there!!

RavenSpring
03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Sad/embarrassed to admit that I LOVE Spam, fried to a crisp and covered with yellow mustard. Have never bought it on my own as an adult, but I remember the crisp, salty taste of it with the tang from the mustard...(stomach is making growly noises....)

happykid25
04-01-2011, 10:45 PM

I had to check this out as I have had the oatmeal and specifically looked at the nutritional chart while eating it and thinking overall it wasn't too bad for the serving size.

It does have more sugar (32g) than a snickers (30g). However, you can ask for it without the brown sugar and it drops the sugar content to 18g.

Calories you are better with the oatmeal (290 w/ sugar) vs. big mac (540). Big mac has 260 calories just from fat (29g)!!!! The oatmeal has 4.5 grams of fat (40 fat calories). Snickers comes in at 280 calories and 14 grams of fat (130 fat calories).

Here's an interesting comparison. The oatmeal with sugar has a smaller sugar/calorie ratio than the 1% milk. Not by much, but still.
Oatmeal: 290 calories - 32 g sugar
1% Milk: 290 calories - 34.8 g sugar (a serving size is 100 calories/12 g sugar)

dbmamaz
04-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Ok, that was from memory, i guess I got the big mac wrong.

I wish dh really believed me that mayo vs ketchup on fries was a big enough calorie difference to be TOTALLY NOT WORTH IT! sigh.

dbmamaz
04-02-2011, 09:53 AM
they'd reply with something like, "Oh well, you know, kids don't need milk, as long as they get plenty of calcium-rich foods." Well, duh, but why did I just have to waste the last 90 seconds of my life listening to you tell me how she'd die of osteoporosis and rickets if she didn't drink her milk?
:rolleyes: arg, why is there no LOL smiley here?!

Pefa
04-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Sad/embarrassed to admit that I LOVE Spam, fried to a crisp and covered with yellow mustard. Have never bought it on my own as an adult, but I remember the crisp, salty taste of it with the tang from the mustard...(stomach is making growly noises....)

We use cheapo hotdogs to make dog treats - chop them up small, coat liberally with garlic powder and bake until they aren't slimy. BOO admitted he makes sure to take enough for Millie and himself. Which made us laugh. It also got us thinking that it would be mean, but fun, to take them to the next potluck thrown by a rather obnoxious localvore relative just to see who would eat them. He's always going on about the virtues of organ meats and garlic and what else are hotdogs? (In his defense we love eating there because we're just as foodie nuts as he is, but we won't lecture you if you eat out of season grapes - as long as you share.)

pansypower
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I lived in Germany when I was a kid and MickeyDs there served beer. Not sure if they still do though.
I recently saw a picture of a friend's visit there in Korea and he was drinking coffee out of a porcelain mug. I wondered if he got that during the visit or owned it.

Cameraaction
04-11-2011, 06:52 AM
I live in the Netherlands and MacDonalds has only fries and hamburgers...

MrsJadeDragon
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM
You have a problem with that?

In Vermont, if you ask, they have to give you real maple syrup (well, they use maple sugar) for your oatmeal. Funny to think of such a huge chain having regional variations.

Those regional variations are what make McDonald's so successful. Catering to local tastes, rather than a cookie cutter menu at every franchise, help keep business going.

Frankly, I'd kill for that rice and spam brekkie that they get in Hawai'i here in the Bay Area. YUM.

MrsJadeDragon
04-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Not embarrassed at all to admit that I LOVE spam!! Some of my favorite childhood memories involve breakfasts cooked with meat-in-a-can. I can't understand why most of America abhors the stuff. I know Filipinos got a taste for it thanks to WWII and the American GI's; my parents brought their love for canned meats from the Philippines when they came over. I love spam for breakfast or in fried rice or in musubi. Spam-haters gonna hate but more for the spam lovers!!