PDA

View Full Version : Hello there!! NC anyone??

tbrz70
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi!
My name is Tara and I am moving to NC in September from NJ, where I have lived all my life unfortunately( I mean it, September cant come fast enough!)

The only good thing I have recently found in NJ is that there were NO homeschool laws! With that said I need to figure out what it is I will have to do for NC. I still luckily have some time as I have been unofficially homeschooling my two children since they were born. They are still young DD is 6 and DS is 4. I have read somewhere that they do not need any information in NC until the age of 7.

So once my daughter turns 7 in February, I will begin a more official journey. I have noticed that all of the homeschool groups I have come across thus far here in NC(I have been here for over a month making settlement on property and used some of this time to meet some homeschoolers in the area) have had really religious affiliations. I am not sure what I am going to do as far as making sure our family fits in and finds a group that we can relate to. We are non practicing Catholics and while I have no problem with the Bible or God or any other religious beliefs, I am trying to keep it a limited part of any activities and/or studies. I unfortunately am in a very rural area in Bertie County and am not sure how I am going to be able to cope down here! I dont mind driving for activities or trips etc but I do want to make sure my children get their social appetites filled as well on a regular basis! I also question which type of curriculum is best because there are soooo many out there! Its confusing! Does anyone have any ideas for me??

Anyway it is nice to meet you all and I hope we find our niche! We will be back and forth to Jersey in the next several months for building our home, septic installation and all that other fun stuff!

Please feel free to email me with any suggestions or info..much obliged!

Tara

Snoopy
04-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Welcome Tara,

Topsy, the admin here, is in NC so she should be able to answer your questions about homeschooling there. As for curriculum help and such, please read through the forums, a lot of us have already mentioned our faves in the "Homeschool Curriculum" forums :)

Good luck with the move!

Shoe
04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
while I have no problem with the Bible or God or any other religious beliefs, I am trying to keep it a limited part of any activities and/or studies.Welcome Tara, that pretty much describes me too. My son got really annoyed with the way the Christian curriculum we used this year for convenience (it was a "school in a box" kind of thing) was completely saturated with religious references in every subject-even the math problems used biblical/missionary terms for examples. I was quite glad to find this forum. I'm still new to the homeschooling thing, so can't help you much with curriculum suggestions yet, but some of the other forums here have a lot of really good ideas.

Cheers.

Topsy
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Welcome Tara!! Glad to have more North Carolinians join the ranks!! I had to Google "Bertie County", though. Had never heard of it till today! (I believe you when you say you are rural!! LOL) You are smack dab on the opposite end of the state from myself. But it is true that NC isn't overflowing with secular homeschoolers. That's part of the reason I created this site!! Check out the article on the home page called "Finding Other Secular Homeschoolers in Your Area" for some suggestions on locating the few and the proud. I wrote an article a while back called the "Step by Step Guide to Beginning Homeschooling in NC (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/356439/step_by_step_guide_to_homeschooling.html?cat=4)"...you might find it helpful for the detailed stuff. Be sure to join our NC Group here on the site, too! Feel free to message me with any particular questions that come up. And welcome to the Tarheel state!!!

Topsy