PDA

View Full Version : Sunday baking?

alexdk
03-13-2011, 02:51 PM
I try to always bake something on Sundays for the rest of the week. The kids like to have these snacks available through the week and I like that I know what went in them! Muffins, cookies or a plain type cake.

Today I made a lemon yogurt cake and some oatmeal/pecan cookies.

Anyone else do this? What are your favourite recipes for this type of baking?

Firefly_Mom
03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Ours is more of a "free day baking" - which is usually Thursdays. Our baking is more out of necessity these days, as ds and I are both gluten free (and store bought GF foods are spendy!) Our current favorites are apple cinnamon muffins and low-sugar apple crisp, both of which we have as part of our breakfasts. We also typically bake a loaf of sandwhich bread every week.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-13-2011, 04:14 PM
If I baked on Sunday, the goodies would last until, oh... Monday. :)

We love our baked goods here.

dbmamaz
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I used to do more of this when my kids were in school, to send as school snacks - banana or zuchini gfcf mini-muffins for Raven, and gfcf white cake (which i'd frost w lemon and stack and cut in to squares) - freeze in individual baggies for quick addition to lunch boxes. I decided I dont really want sweets around as a regular part of our diet, tho. Raven eats nothing but starch anyways, Orion has weight issues due to meds, and dh and I certainly dont need it. So i do it when the urge strikes - which has been at least every other week recently!

Orion makes his bread whenever we run out - so it depends on how much they have toast for breakfast and sandwhiches for lunch, vs other food. He makes it in the bread machine, but I help him make the flour mix.

Today, tho, i'm getting read for Pi day! I just made some gfcf sugar cookies, to use for a cookie crust for the lemonaide gelatin pie, and next I'll make the nut crust for the chocolate tofu pie. The pumpkin pie is crustless, and doesnt need to chill overnight, so I'll probably make that tomorrow.

Kylie
03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Definitely something I want to do, but don't.....My thoughts were to make two items, cookies and a cake/muffins something like that.....then once they are gone that's it for baked goods for the week...it won't be long and my 6 year old will be able to bake them for me ;-) ahh the beauty of home schooling and kitchen science

Stella M
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh yes, Kylie, once the children are old enough to do the baking, it's brilliant! Even better when they're old enough to shop for ingredients and clean up the kitchen as well! It's still very humid here, which doesn't inspire any of us to bake, but autumn is just around the corner...

hockeymom
03-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Today I baked bread and made granola, and I tried to make granola bars but they turned out too crumbly so it will just become a new kind of granola. I made the recipe with maple butter instead of honey--super yum.

We picked up some raw milk this weekend in Maine so tomorrow we're making cheese. Excited for that!

BrendaE
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I USED make our bread every week. I ve been too sick these past many months and dont have the strength righ tnow. I found an old roman style recipe quite a while ago and I love it. No bread machines here though. I would maybe like one.. maybe not.. I like our bread in all the shapes and stuff. Maybe there is something therapeutic in hand kneading it too... maybe

KristinK
03-13-2011, 08:21 PM
my granola bars always end up back as granola too.

we bake during the week. usually on mondays I make 3 loaves of bread for the week, and some kind of muffin/bar/square (almost always banana muffins). And often on wed or thurs we'll bake another batch of muffins or cookies or something snacky.

KristinK
03-13-2011, 08:23 PM
I USED make our bread every week. I ve been too sick these past many months and dont have the strength righ tnow. I found an old roman style recipe quite a while ago and I love it. No bread machines here though. I would maybe like one.. maybe not.. I like our bread in all the shapes and stuff. Maybe there is something therapeutic in hand kneading it too... maybe

go with the "artisan bread in 5 minutes per day" recipe (just google that, it'll pop up). I have the book. It rocks. I used to make it constantly. It's seriosuly easy, zero kneading, and it leaves you with a bucket of dough in the fridge for a week or more (we ate ours in less time though). I only stopped making it because DH bought me a wheat grinder, and the recipe just doesn't work with fresh-ground wheat.

Sam
03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I don`t buy store bought bread so I bake ours all the time. I`d love to get into baking more homemade snacky stuff though rather than DH always buying store bought. Sunday baking day sounds like a great idea!

dbmamaz
03-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Gluten Free bread cannot be kneaded. Its a batter bread. For things like pizza, you have to spread the dough with the back of a wet spoon. And since I'm allergic to three of the ingredients in the best bread recipe we found, and my son is 14 - a bread machine seemed like a good plan. Some actually come with gluten-free settings now, because gluten-free breads cant handle a second rise.

I always preferred kneading in a kitchenaide, tho - i'm pretty wimpy. But I do miss handling yeasted gluteny dough. Its very senuous.

ItBeganInCamp4
03-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Another bread baker here. We go through a lot, so I usually make 2 loaves on Sundays and 2 on Wednesday or Thursday. Today I made two batches of cream cheese biscuits to freeze (new recipe I found, uses cream cheese and butter for the fats instead of shortening). DH made a loaf of his no-knead crusty bread that the kids like too.

I thought about making banana muffins with the old bananas on the counter, but it was too late to start on that, so maybe tomorrow. I totally forgot about pi day...maybe I'll do a pumpkin pie tomorrow, I think I have everything for that one.

Sam
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
oooh! Can you share that cream cheese biscuit recipe? Sounds great! (and I love stuff I can freeze)

Pefa
03-14-2011, 10:13 PM
When B1 is good I let him bake. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the mouth it's going into) he's usually pretty good. So we're rarely short of treats. I go in waves on bread baking - if we have bread it's because I've made it - I bake 6 to 8 loaves at a whack and freeze. But time's been at a premium recently so we just haven't been eating bread.

Outofrange
03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
On baking day we usually make muffins or breakfast cookies (oatmeal raisin) for morning snacking. Regular dessert style cookies are made when the urge and time coincide :)

Stella M
03-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Yum, oat and raisin are my favourites!

ItBeganInCamp4
03-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Sam, I just put up a detailed tutorial with pics on my blog a few hours ago ;-) direct link (http://itbeganincamp4.blogspot.com/2011/03/cream-cheese-biscuits.html).

I ended up trying apple pie today. I can never get them right!! What's the trick to getting the top crust to sink down as the apples cook? The kids loved it, but I was just frustrated with the end result. Never got those banana muffins made either, so that REALLY needs to happen tomorrow before the bananas are too far gone.

Stella M
03-15-2011, 03:14 AM
I'm about to go and check out your recipe too :)

With the pie crust, do you make a few cuts in the pastry before baking ? Also, make sure you are using the right size pie dish so the crust can sort of settle over the filling. Sorry, not very good explanation, hope you know what I mean! A hot oven for 15 min before turning it down to moderate for the rest of the cooking time ?

Aha! just checked out your tutorial - they are cream cheese scones!! Now I understand. I was thinking cookies ( biscuits here ). They still look delicious!

jess
03-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Gluten Free bread cannot be kneaded. Its a batter bread. For things like pizza, you have to spread the dough with the back of a wet spoon. And since I'm allergic to three of the ingredients in the best bread recipe we found, and my son is 14 - a bread machine seemed like a good plan. Some actually come with gluten-free settings now, because gluten-free breads cant handle a second rise.

I always preferred kneading in a kitchenaide, tho - i'm pretty wimpy. But I do miss handling yeasted gluteny dough. Its very senuous.
I can't remember what all you're sensitive to, but I found this GF recipe for Irish Soda Bread today and desperately want to try it. We don't have enough almonds, though.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/irish-soda-bread/

Not that it requires kneading.

dbmamaz
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm not irish and st patricks day is one of those holidays I'd be happier without. Wait, thats any holiday which doesnt involve pie. Today I made this gfcf flat bread (but with a different flour mix): http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success . to go with souvlaki and hummus.

its all baking - its all good!

jess
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm not irish and st patricks day is one of those holidays I'd be happier without. Wait, thats any holiday which doesnt involve pie. Today I made this gfcf flat bread (but with a different flour mix): http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/gf-wrap-sandwich-success . to go with souvlaki and hummus.

its all baking - its all good!
I'm not Irish, and don't do anything particularly to celebrate the day, but I do really like Irish Soda Bread and will make it (assuming it's a recipe I can eat) given the slightest excuse :)

(which is the basic premise in regards to St. P day in the US in general, I think, except in regards to Guinness, not bread.)

I like this recipe because it uses almond flour and no xathan gum, which I have a personal, probably unwarranted aversion to, and which I've found is used in GF recipes by default, even when it may not really be needed.

dbmamaz
03-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Oh, yeah, i've been reading more about avoiding gums recently. I cant handle xanthan but seem fine w guar, so i've been using that. In the past, it seems like most breads without a gum wont rise, or they fall - but i've been using quinoa flakes in my flour mix, which really adds a nice body to the gf baked goods, so who knows. I havent looked at any of the specifically gum-free recipes yet. I do here that, still, for a big fluffy loaf of sandwhich bread, its going to be necessary. Using guar instead of xanthan I seem to be able to sub one-for-one in quick breads but need more like 1.5 to 1 in yeast breads.

alexdk
03-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Wow! it's the little thread that grew! Thanks everyone for sharing their baking thoughts :)

Those biscuits look delicious too. I had never seen that magazine..is it American ?

Ariadne
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
If I baked on Sunday, the goodies would last until, oh... Monday. :)

We love our baked goods here.Same here. :rolleyes: