PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning, Tossing, and Sentimentality

Pilgrim
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm cleaning again. While the kids are away this weekend, I'm organizing and moving toys, books, and furniture in their rooms. It's best to do it while they're gone, so they don't see the stuff that's getting tossed, recycled, or donated. If they do, they throw a fit. If they don't, they never miss it.

There is so much junk -- little pieces of toys that are lost or never played with anymore if at all, booklets of reward stickers, valentine's day cards and candy. Ugh.

We recently donated four boxes of kids' books to the library, and we try to give away as much as we can, but finding a home for stuffed animals and toy parts is impossible, so...in the trash they go. The waste drives me crazy, even though I really enjoy when the clutter goes away.

It also gets me sentimental, thinking of days gone by that will never return -- days of pop-up books and Blue's Clues videos.

Can you relate?

WindSong
03-12-2011, 06:40 PM
I can definitely relate! Like you, I try to take advantage of weekends when the kids are away to get rid of all the junk. They never notice it's even gone. At one point we had so many happy meal toys we could have opened a store. Those toys drove me nuts. I'm so glad they are both over happy meals.

For me going through their toys was very sentimental when they were younger- about 3-5 years old. It was very sad to put away the Thomas trains. They are being saved for the grand kids. :) In fact, I decided that some toys were just too special to get rid of. I bought a plastic tub to store these in. I won't allow any more than the one bin.

I do miss the board books, Richard Scarry books, Little Bear, Bob the Builder and the zillions of dinosaurs my ds collected. Looking back, those days seemed so simple... (sigh)

Stella M
03-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I can relate to waiting till the kids are out of the house to clean up their junk! At least the little kids. Over 8 around here and you have to have Mum stand over you while you do the "Do I love this ? Do I need it ?" routine...

I can't relate to the nostalgia - by the time we were ready to pack away Thomas the Tank Engine ? Oh, man, were we ready. I'm sure when the time comes I won't miss stepping on Lego 20 times a day either :)

Heather Harris
03-12-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm trying to do this to my *entire house* in preparation for the new baby, and it is next to impossible when the kids are home. I'm looking forward to anytime that I can send them to their grandma's so I can sort and toss in peace!

farrarwilliams
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Obviously bits and pieces go in the trash, but is there really nowhere near you to donate the toys? We give ours to the thrift store for resale. Seeing as everyone we know does serious shopping there, it seems like a good idea.

I have very little sentimentality about it all - at least, not through the "stuff." Now, words and photos, those can get me sentimental about the moments we'll never have again.

dbmamaz
03-12-2011, 09:03 PM
My son is a reluctant reader, so our reading routine is to cuddle in his bed and he has to read 2 books to me from his bookshelf full of old bedtimes stories from his preschool years. HOW did we get so many books?! I keep thinking he'll tell me he hates some of them (esp the pre-reading easy readers w/ 4 words per page?) but no, every book makes him laugh and he wants to keep it. Great. We've been doing this for 6 weeks and we arent through half the books yet. Of course, we only do it 3 days/week - we dont have time on martail arts days

Jeni
03-12-2011, 09:18 PM
We have a lot of trouble parting with anything, especially books, movies, and things with faces (Darn it Toy Story!). We still have big boxes of stuffed animals that dh and I have been carting around for the last 12 years. With the kids stuff, I try to donate and not think about how sad it makes me, thankfully they don't really care much. Forget books though, I love them too much, as if seven bookshelves (plus two shelves worth in storage) wasn't evidence.

lynne
03-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, big time. I especially hate donating the clothes they've outgrown for some reason. I love that they're getting older and more independent but I get sad that their babyhood is over and I do feel sad parting with things. Recently Matthew told me he is done with Thomas stuff which has been replaced with Whittle trains (which are more realistic, like Union Pacific, Amtrak, etc.) and I boxed them up too, WindSong. Because he played with them so much I can't donate them. They will hopefully go to grandchildren some day. Oh, and another thing that was really tough for me to part with was the Little People stuff because I loved the toys..the zoo, garage, school bus, Maggie, Sonya, Michael lol. But, as sad as I feel, I do part with these things because I can't stand clutter in my house. If we aren't using it, out it goes.

MarkInMD
03-12-2011, 10:28 PM
We do the Goodwill run at least once a year, sometimes twice. If you donate to them or another charitable thrift store, I'll share this with you: use this donation calculator (http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Donation_Valuation_Guide.pdf) (or one like it) to keep track of the things you donate. Come tax time, you get to claim it on your taxes, and I think they take 50% of the value (or thereabouts). We did this year and were stunned to learn we donated almost $2000 worth of clothes, toys, games, CDs, DVDs, furniture, etc. It really adds up!

MrsLOLcat
03-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I found it a lot harder when they were tinier. It's easier now. M2 doesn't develop attachments to anything, so she's constantly reassessing the contents of her room and getting rid of things; M1 is on the opposite end of that particular spectrum and never wants to get rid of anything. I try not to watch and just let them bag everything up. Clothes are another thing that used to be tougher. I'm just so dang tired of throwing out everything every. single. season. that I no longer care. I have a phone list of people whose kids are right under my kids in size and text them when it's time to chunk the latest clothes. Last summer was tough when M1 decided he'd outgrown all of his non-fiction early readers. He HAD, but that was hard for some reason. I gave them all to a friend of mine who is a teacher. Gosh, now you're gonna make me all sentimental....

Kylie
03-13-2011, 12:59 AM
I generally have a box with me of giveaway items that I take to homeschool get togethers. I'd prefer to give to people I mow will use the items than to a goodwill store that pits ridiculous mark ups on things.

I know I will struggle to give away some of our stuff as the toddler grows, but I am getting much better at clearing clutter.

hockeymom
03-13-2011, 05:51 AM
DS helps me donate toys that he no longer plays with and clothes that he's outgrown. We've done it forever so it's no big deal for him--he likes to think that other kids will play with his old toys, and I don't like to be sneaky. I will go through the broken or useless stuff (party bag stuffers and that sort of thing) on my own, but I like for him to make the decisions about what should stay and what he's outgrown. It's become sort of an annual process for him, and shows him how he's growing up.

I have really no emotional ties to his stuff and doubt I'll keep anything unless he's really adamant about it. I did keep his first pair of shoes, a teeny tiny pair of red Gap sneakers, but that's about it. He still reads a lot of the books that my mom kept from my childhood (including lots of Richard Scarry--still a favorite for very sleepy nights) but they are so worn and well loved by now I can't imagine keeping them around after he's finished with them.

Pefa
03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
MelissainOz feels guilty about the outside playing thread, I feel guilty about this one. I do my best, but...does it help to know that I have a piece of Queen Victoria's wedding cake tucked away in a treasure box in a closet (legacy from ancestors from the Isle of Wight)? That's the kind of holder onto things I am. As a child, I loved wearing clothes my mom, and grandmother, had worn. Not dress up but everyday clothes that had survived. I remember a wonderful pink silk dress printed with tiny apple blossoms and birds that fit me when I was around 10 or 11. My boys have all worn the family kilts throughout their childhoods, and nothing is as indestructible as scottish wool.

I try to hit the balance of kid involvement and personal sanity. I need to get rid of stuff now but I have a hard time finding the time to get to the goodwill to donate the stuff.

We won't be crushed by stacks of newspapers, but I could definitely get rid of more stuff.

Laina
03-13-2011, 09:53 AM
MelissainOz feels guilty about the outside playing thread, I feel guilty about this one. I do my best, but...does it help to know that I have a piece of Queen Victoria's wedding cake tucked away in a treasure box in a closet (legacy from ancestors from the Isle of Wight)? .

That is awesome!

Pilgrim
03-13-2011, 02:42 PM
That is awesome!

+1!

Day two:
The boy's room is nearly done, though I arranged it so that it doesn't 'hide' as much clutter as before, which could be a problem. Then I came downstairs to look for something and was reminded of the still-unopened Christmas gifts tucked into another corner. Ugh. Bigger house? Less crap? I'll take both, thanks.

alexdk
03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
We purge regularly.
We are going through the spring/summer clothes this afternoon. Whatever doesn't fit or the girls don't like, we give to my cousin (she has 3 younger girls). We have done that forever. My boy's clothes go to Value Village or Goodwill. Same with toys and stuffed toys, and books.
I do keep certain toys and books. Even though no one plays with Thomas the Tank wooden trains and tracks, I am keeping that. Same with some other toys that were favourites.
Going through all that stuff definitely brings back memories. I kept their baby clothes for a long time before being able to move on!!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Every few months (okay, maybe once a year) I purge the Random Bits o' Plastic in my kids' rooms. I wish people would stop putting stuff like that in goody bags for birthday parties. My daughter also likes to pick up small rocks and has them stored in a plastic jewelry box. I also need to clean out the dress up box for stuff that doesn't fit anymore. I have a bunch of outgrown clothes to sort through and pass along. My husband is taking a couple weeks of vacation time later this month, which will be a good time to tackle these projects.

And, if I have to smuggle them out one by one, I will rid this house of Silly Bandz once and for all!

KristinK
03-13-2011, 09:11 PM
I've been purging too. Our house is small, and we have too much stuff!! The kids never notice what has disappeared :D I, just today, emptied out ALL my maternity clothes and the newborn baby clothes. Gotta make that decision stick, and get rid of the stuff! Most is in the trunk of my van to go to the thrift store tomorrow (we have an awesome one that doesn't mark up at.all...I shop there and get clothes/books/etc for the kids for 0.25 a piece!), some of the really nice stuff is boxed and I've posted a query to my homeschool group to see if anyone there needs it, if not I'll donate it to the store too. Hard to not be sentimental about some of that stuff, but with the toys I rarely am. I like having some of my toys passed down to my girls, so I might hold onto some stuff incase the grandkids are interested one day!

Stella M
03-13-2011, 09:30 PM
No Pilgrim - bigger house = more crap, because there are more places to stash it. A smaller house keeps you more accountable because it's in your face all the time! That's how I console myself over my lack of storage space anyway...

Pefa, your hoarding is awesome! I wouldn't toss anything with that kind of ancestral value or historic interest either. My Grandma made me kilts - I still have a kilt brooch she bought me - my Mum still has the kilts. Some stuff needs to be kept.

MarkInMD
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I wish people would stop putting stuff like that in goody bags for birthday parties.

<raises hand guiltily> :o

georgerobinson
03-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Of course, i can relate to this thought as we are experiencing the same situation in life.

InstinctiveMom
03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Count me in, too - on most of this stuff - having a hard time letting go of baby clothes (check), hanging on to toys/books they loved as babies/small kiddos with a passion (check), have kids that are also sentimental (check), wait until they're not around to throw away cheap plastic broken crap (check), have WAY too much stuff (check), in the process of doing a house-wide purge (check)...

Those TINY CLOTHES!!!! And my BARBIES!!! Yeah...
~h

Topsy
03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm in this Minimalist kick and I've thrown away so much. The neat thing I'm realizing about minimalism, though, is that when you do get rid of the clutter it leaves you room to highlight the possessions that are most important to you. Truth is, I hardly ever even looked at my boys old drawings and cards and such, until I finally went through them and chucked out all but the ones that meant the most to me (much more difficult than I just made it sound there!) and then created a neat wall mural of those and hung it in my office.

There is something precious about getting rid of the things that hinder us from focusing on what is important in our lives. :)

Pefa
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Hats off to you Topsy and all the other purgers out there.

I do know that the only way to hang onto my victorian wedding cake, daguerrotypes of an ancestor posing with Tom Thumb, circus poster my grandfather made for a backyard circus he & his cousins put on when they were about 11, fisher price toys from my childhood and legos is to get rid of chairs not good enough to sit in but too good to throw away, unfinished bedspreads (I would have been the 4th generation not to finish this thing), a cousin's entomology project (flies of Franklin County VT) and lots and lots of books.

FD suggested we donate her great grandmother's wedding dress (an amazing pale pink flapper confection of silk and chiffon with a veil that must have been about 20 yards of tulle, my grandmother and her best friend both wore the dress but it ended up at my grandmother's house) and shoes along with a photo of the wedding party to the local historical society. This is why she's a fabulous daughter.

MarkInMD
03-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Well, I'd totally hang onto the cake and the daguerrotype (man, that's hard to spell right the first time, and I'm still not sure I did...).

Outofrange
03-14-2011, 10:55 PM
I am a purger and have no sentimental feeling to most of the junk. The kids donated five huge trash bags full of toys early last December and already I am ready to purge some more. Most of the time the toys are not really played with anyway. My kids would rather pretend to be ponies than play with the figurines.

Aandwsmom
03-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Boys are at Grandmas this week and they are getting new beds, due to their growing constantly!LOL
So, old beds went on craigslist and went to a Grandma who has her grandkids visiting this Summer and they were going to be using sleeping bags. Now she has matching twin beds and mattresses. She was crying when she and her hubby came to get them, so I felt good about passing those on.
Then we had mold issues in boys room. Had to toss their dresser as it had sat in front of window and the moisture made it mold.
I have been picking up legos, legos and more legos off the floor. Paper scraps, candy canes leftover from Xmas, a bag of Halloween candy in oldest sons drawer.....
I am hoping to tackle the closet today. They have a box of Knex in there that they dont use anymore and said could go. And they have hexabits which are really cool but they dont use them because they hurt your fingers to create with them..... SO, they are going as well. I am thinking of ebay on those to recoup some of my costly investment.... not sure though.
I need to reduce their game stash as well as closet is PACKED.
And I totally agree..... if they are not here, they do not even know what they lost! I have always done it this way. Either when they were at school I would tackle a bit each day OR when they visit Grandparents for the week!
Glad to see I am not the only Mom that does it like this!!LOL

hockeymom
03-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh my goodness, my son knows exactly what he has--every.little.thing. When we moved here I purged about half our possessions, and took a chance on some of his stuffed animals. He NEVER slept with them as a little one, except for a used Halloween kangaroo costume he named Hoppy and took with him on all our trips. The others, the actual stuffed animals, were totally ignored. So I took a big risk and got rid of a few. Naturally a year or more later he asked where they were and I had to fess up. I felt *awful*. Never again! Hats off to you who can purge when the kiddos aren't around!

Aandwsmom
03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, I am sure my boys will be upset as I took 2010 Halloween costumes out of their room.
They share a bedroom, 2 teenagers in a 110 sq. ft room and they are VERY different personalities so the room is split so they each have a side.
Little room for stuff they will never wear again, so costumes taking up 3 hangers in closet and 1/2 a drawer in dresser..... are gone.
I do make them go thru their personal boxes a few times a year and getting rid of junk. Those fast food toys, broken toys, paper scraps, etc. that build up.
And I noticed that oldest sons personal box has overflowed into his sock/underwear drawer which is a no-no so HE will be cleaning that up.
It seems the messier their room is when I start, the madder I get and the easier it is to purge!

I purge the house a lot! I hate dusting and I get lax at it because of stuff that NEEDS to be dusted. So, I try to keep flat surfaces like end tables at a minimum.

The hallway, what there is of one... is my boys gallery. I have the walls covered with cubes and picture frames to hold all their creations they made me. I just cleaned it this morning. I love looking all the time at the stuff they made and remembering. It makes me smile. I only keep the special stuff. The rest I take digital pics of before we toss. Then I have a reminder of it always, even if I dont have room to physically have it.

wife&mommy
03-20-2011, 10:16 PM
My kids actually get pretty excited about donating things so that other kids can play with them, so we usually do the playroom and their rooms together pretty regularly. I'd say at least once a quarter or so. I do the same with their clothes about twice a year. I am really good about doing their stuff but not as great about doing my own things. I don't have a ton though so I guess that makes it seem easier but I really should go through my things more regularly. What I am bad at is going through the stuff and gathering everything we are going to donate and then taking 6 months to actually get it to Goodwill! Drives my husband crazy to have it in "his" garage.

lakshmi
05-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Every few months (okay, maybe once a year) I purge the Random Bits o' Plastic in my kids' rooms. I wish people would stop putting stuff like that in goody bags for birthday parties. My daughter also likes to pick up small rocks and has them stored in a plastic jewelry box. I also need to clean out the dress up box for stuff that doesn't fit anymore. I have a bunch of outgrown clothes to sort through and pass along. My husband is taking a couple weeks of vacation time later this month, which will be a good time to tackle these projects.

And, if I have to smuggle them out one by one, I will rid this house of Silly Bandz once and for all!

DEATH TO SILLY BANDS... as soon as they take them off, they disappear. OOPS.. no idea. but the rocks..oh, the rocks. I have a pack rat that lives with me, one that has tiny bags filled with random bits of plastic, "jewels" and other stuff. It is so bad that I can't clean them out. I don't know what is important.

<raises hand guiltily> :o

DEATH TO SILLY BANDS.. .oh, I mean DEATH TO LITTLE PLASTIC JUNKY BAG THINGS.

Oh my goodness, my son knows exactly what he has--every.little.thing. When we moved here I purged about half our possessions, and took a chance on some of his stuffed animals. He NEVER slept with them as a little one, except for a used Halloween kangaroo costume he named Hoppy and took with him on all our trips. The others, the actual stuffed animals, were totally ignored. So I took a big risk and got rid of a few. Naturally a year or more later he asked where they were and I had to fess up. I felt *awful*. Never again! Hats off to you who can purge when the kiddos aren't around!

See aforementioned bags of stuff. Both my daughters know everything they have and even though they don't seem to miss anything to the parent eye, they do. Most of our stuff is in storage and one daughter remembers like a general memorizes troop deployment, she knows where her stuff is.

I had to finally had to include them in the purging process, which is tough for a family with hoarding tendencies. I convinced them to take photos with the things and then they got put in the box. BUT, that being said, I do sneaky purging. Definitely the little broken pieces, and all those bag ties that they can grab at the grocery store. You know the ones. I've seen some fairly interesting animals made from them, but it isn't something I'd recommend as an activity.

Funny thread, glad I found it.

CathleenB
05-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm a sneaky purger too. I can throw away stuff all day and no one would know. My dd is the hoarder, rock collector, everything collector. I don't mind parting with outgrown clothes or broken toys. I just hate throwing away useful things. I am a regular donator at the salvation army store. I declutter a bag or a box of stuff and put it right into my trunk so I can drop it when I am in that area. I made a donation today!

Check with your local paramedics or police station for stuffed animals. If they are in like new condition sometimes they will keep some on hand for kids in traumatic situations. :)

Kylie
05-04-2011, 07:30 AM
I've just jumped back on this thread. Hands up all the sneaky purgers, yep that'd be me too.

I hate clutter and the stuff and the mess it casues but I do struggle to get rid of it. I have sitting here waiting to go to Goodwill two large garbage bags of my stuffed teddies from when I was a kid. Yeah so I am closet o 40 and have only just been able to part with them. I did have to keep 3 items though, just for sentimentality.

I'm still on my house purging, this is the year to get rid of it all and I was sharing on my blog, but it's a little embarrassing really lol!

lilypoo
05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I have a terrible time being sneaky. Everyone notices around here and my dh has even been known to go through the boxes and trash bags and rescue things...as has my oldest DS. We're major recovering packrats...we have given away so much stuff since moving from CA to AZ six years ago. Our move cost 3x as much as my parents' move (they moved at the same time and had twice the actual home furnishings and at the time we only had two kids and a newborn) so that finally convinced dh we needed to purge--before that he never let me toss anything! Since then it's been a constant battle with clutter...I'm actually hoping to finally finish our spring cleaning and *final* major decluttering this week. I watched a webinar about how if you have no clutter you can actually clean your whole house in a couple hours. That's my goal!

Pefa
05-05-2011, 06:41 AM
At least I know I'm not alone. Sometimes I feel like I'll get myself coming and going: I'll feel bad for having all this crap in the house, and I'll fell bad (because of the carbon footprint) for throwing it out. I donate what I can, but by the time we get done with stuff it's usually worn to a nubbins.

Eileen
05-05-2011, 07:43 AM
I throw away little plastic junk as I'm cleaning, all the time.

When my older daughter was growing out of stuff, I could never understand the sentimentality aspect at all. I couldn't wait to get rid of all the baby junk. However, stuff that was put away for my younger daughter that later resurfaced, seeing some of that stuff again got me a bit choked up. It's usually stuff I haven't seen in awhile. Since I know we're not having any more kids, I know that when it's gone, it's gone. No more babies, no more toddlers, no more snuggly preschoolers. It's a little bit sad. Happy too, but definitely bittersweet.

wife&mommy
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
So I'm having a question about what do with some things now. I have books that my mom and my husband's mom saved for us to give our kids when we had them. Well they are done with the now and I really have no attachment to them. Do I save them for our grandchildren just because our mom's did, or toss them? Same with a few toys we have. I'm usually on the toss end of things if it is in question but since our parents took the time to save this stuff, should we save it for our children's children?

hockeymom
05-05-2011, 06:17 PM
So I'm having a question about what do with some things now. I have books that my mom and my husband's mom saved for us to give our kids when we had them. Well they are done with the now and I really have no attachment to them. Do I save them for our grandchildren just because our mom's did, or toss them? Same with a few toys we have. I'm usually on the toss end of things if it is in question but since our parents took the time to save this stuff, should we save it for our children's children?

I have some of that stuff too. I toss. No regrets. :)

Pefa
05-05-2011, 07:31 PM
You're under no obligation to keep them.

Pilgrim
05-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Just cleaned dd's room. I had her help for awhile then sent her away so I could sneak out a trash bag full of junk. Nothing worth donating. So that's what the floor in her room looks like!

mamakaty
05-06-2011, 12:23 AM
See aforementioned bags of stuff. Both my daughters know everything they have and even though they don't seem to miss anything to the parent eye, they do. Most of our stuff is in storage and one daughter remembers like a general memorizes troop deployment, she knows where her stuff is.

I had to finally had to include them in the purging process, which is tough for a family with hoarding tendencies. I convinced them to take photos with the things and then they got put in the box. BUT, that being said, I do sneaky purging. Definitely the little broken pieces, and all those bag ties that they can grab at the grocery store. You know the ones. I've seen some fairly interesting animals made from them, but it isn't something I'd recommend as an activity.

Funny thread, glad I found it.

omg, my oldest is a major packrat, borderline hoarder. And he's 9. He's the same way -- everything is special, everything has to be kept, and he knows exactly where everything is. Now, that doesn't keep me from being a sneaky purger. What? You can't find that random piece of plastic crap? Hmmm...I don't know, maybe it's in the basement? Maybe your younger brother took it? (oops, bad mom). I'm sure it's in a box somewhere. (We moved into this house 5 years ago, and I still use that excuse. We have a few boxes still shoved in the corner of the basement...)

I'm a packrat too, I'll admit it. I'm trying to get better, I promise. We just have so much clutter at this point, and I have so little time to do much about it. When I do purge, I donate as much as I possibly can. Even if they wind up throwing it out, I feel better knowing I at least tried, lol.

CathleenB
05-06-2011, 05:48 PM

If it's not sentimental then the local library will probably take any and all they can. I have a box of books sitting by my front door ready to go. I asked the library and they got really excited LOL

Greenmother
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I totally relate !!! We live in a small house and stuff piles up quick! It was horrible when my kids were babies because we had all the extra clothing, diapers, wipes, and equipment--on top of all my books, art supplies, and stuff and my hubby's stuff. And so I got to where over the past year I try to take at least one black bag and one box of stuff to the thrift store a month. Sometimes I do more and others less, but that is the goal. That has helped a lot. I too tried to do this when the kids were away, though sometimes now, they bring me toys they want to be rid of. And ask to give them to the thrift store. It seems like such a tedious thankless task when you are in the middle of it, but once you start to make progress--Wow it's great!

ClassicalLearning
05-10-2011, 01:50 AM
I grew up with pack rat parents so I'm a bit of an anti-pack rat. My son learned the "out with the old, in with the new" at an early age. We never keep "trash toys" from parties or restaurants past their short play life. We donate regularly when we are done using something. He has learned to take good care of things so they are good for their new owners. We donate books to the library or school. Toys go to other kids or charity. Furniture goes to whoever has the needs for it. We are currently looking for a new home for his bike so he can get a larger one.

Pilgrim
05-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Been cleaning out yet another room today. Didn't I just do this one?! God, I hate these little plastic pieces.

A garage sale might be in our near future. Problem is that the kids won't miss things if they don't know I'm getting rid of them, but I worry they'll start crying if they actually see some old toy going home with someone else.

Stella M
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
The way we got around the crying problem with our youngest was by giving him some of the proceeds of the toy sale to buy something new...which may seem counter-intuitive but we got rid of maybe 20+ little kids toys and replaced it with 1 bigger kid toy, so it didn't defeat the decluttering purpose.