PDA

View Full Version : Visual Learners

Emagine
03-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I just posted a mini break through in our home how I feel we sort of reset things. I am pleased about this. Currently as I type this I am researching ways to engage the visual learner in them. Both are on the Spectrum with other issues but capable in their own ways. Both are very hands on and visual. We are headed out middle of next week for our Spring Break Vacation and when I come back I want to go ahead and introduce a better improved HS routine. We also HS year round.

For your visual and hands on learner what did you try that did/did not work? What would you recommend or not. Both of my kids require a good bit of 'mom'. Both need a good bit of activity based on ADHD and Sensory as well as Spectrum issues. One is 8, the other is 5.

For math my 8 year old is using teaching textbooks and does love it. We have a rule 95% and above no worksheet except on Quiz and every Friday is a review day. He is actually a grade ahead here.

He is doing T4L, though almost done I am concerned about the jump to 3rd grade with his struggling reading. We had to repeat the 2nd grade this year as the 3rd was way too much.

Both I am thinking about the Discovery Streaming because this is so them! Give them a video and they will watch it. We already have Nat' Geo Kids Club Membership.

I won an auction for a ton of Magic School Bus books on Ebay, I am thinking about instead of just reading using this for Science and adding the Movies too.

Anything else Visual will be great! Esp in the behavior, social skills, maybe history area?!

lynne
03-11-2011, 08:15 PM
My 6 year old is a visual spatial learner. When he was younger, to help his speech come in we used a white board while we played. If he was playing with cars we would say "car" and then write the word down for him and he amazingly picked them up immediately so that he was reading when he was 3 1/2. The early reading really helped him in so many areas because then he could read things on the computer. He loved Starfall and learned all the letter sounds there. I guess, whenever possible, try to use a visual to help them learn new things. I also used sight word flash cards with him.

Part of his speech therapy was the use of visuals like up/down, in/out using toys to teach him all of these concepts. He really needed it. Even when we got to noun/verb/noun we used picture cards "the boy is fishing" with a picture of a boy fishing.

But your kids are older and they probably have already mastered all of the basics like that. Whatever my kid is into at any given time, I buy books, toys and anything else I can think of to help him learn everything he can about it.

Now that he is 6, he is excelling in K and doesn't seem to need the visual cues as much. He can read something and then tell me the story back. He's slowly getting better at it.

farrarwilliams
03-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Do you know about Brainpop? They're another subscription-based video service - though very different from Discovery Streaming.

Emagine
03-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Never heard of it but I am off to google. TY my friend. I am one of those that is pretty much as good as the information given and I am afraid I am still learning.

Batgirl
03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
For science, (my boys are 7 and 4, oldest is HFA), we've enjoyed the Let's Read and Find Out series for science, esp. since some of the references in Magic School Bus are over their heads right now. For history, I've been very happy with Intellego Unit Studies, though I've only used one so far, Civics. It's been great for my visual kiddos and is purposefully multisensory. It's interesting what you say about about T4L and the jump from second to third grade. My oldest is currently using it for first and loving it. I'd also recommend the book Homeschooling Your Special Needs Child by Sharon Hensley. I just finished and was very impressed with her teaching tips and resource page. (In fact, really, I loved this book and could go on and on about it. It's ascended to #1 on my list of most useful books for teaching my son on the spectrum.)