PDA

View Full Version : Maine Gov speaking at hs convention.

amym
03-09-2011, 10:40 PM
So I just found out that Governor LaPage is going to be speaking Friday at the HOME homeschool convention this weekend. My husband and I are going to the convention on Thurs. to hear about the portfolios and Maine laws since those things are new to us so I'm going to miss what he has to say. I am very curious about his views on homeschooling but we are unable to go both days. He has also declared
May 1st-May 7th Maine Home Education Week! On May 5th you can tour the Capitol and there will be classes at the Maine State Museum as well as a treasure hunt and other hands on activities. I'm hoping that this means he is supportive of homeschooling and that we won't have to worry about stricter laws being enforced up here.

On another note...this is an extremely religious convention so I am hoping I make it through without sticking my foot in my mouth. I have no problem with religion; I worked at the Y when we lived in Tn., turned down invitations to church on a regular basis and was always able to speak freely about my beliefs (or lack of them) without being judged. I was probably prayed for a lot but I never lost any friends. ;) I do, however, have a hard time with the extreme conservative Christians, like the attitude that women are subservient to men. I know I won't actually say anything disrespectful but feel free to send positive energy my way to help me not laugh, roll my eyes or give "are ya kiddin' me looks" to my husband while we are there. :D

BrendaE
03-09-2011, 10:49 PM
LOL Good luck... hmm perhaps watching a few episodes of pinky and the brain before you head out would be advisable? Then the theme song will just run round and round your head and it will be much easier to just smile and nod. No foot in mouth issues! :D

Stella M
03-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Good luck with that!!!

hockeymom
03-10-2011, 05:57 AM
Definitely sending you good vibes, and please let us know how it went! The new gov isn't on our favorite people list, but it will help redeem him to us if he's pro-homeschooling. Can't wait to hear about your day!

amym
03-10-2011, 08:52 PM
Hubby and I did ok at the convention (only had to give him one elbow to the side lol). We were only able to go for a few hours and the seminar we attended was aimed at new homeschoolers and the laws in Maine. We did pick up a few words of wisdom but most of the information I already had from looking online and the information I really wanted wasn't given or was incomplete. We also didn't get to see much in the way of curriculum because the vendor area wasn't scheduled to be ready for two hours after the first seminars ended. (? don't understand that one) Obviously most of the curriculum would be christian based and not what I want but I was interested to see what is covered at different levels and the various approaches to different subjects (ideas to keep in mind if my original plans don't work for us).
Gov. LePage speaks tomorrow night so I won't be there in person but I will be getting a cd in the mail of all the speakers and will definitly fill you in on his stance on hsing. I did find this quote from Gov. LaPage on another site..."I support statewide choice and the introduction of Charter School, along with encouraging home schooling for those household who have the skill set, the financial capacity and patience to undertake such a challenge." Now what he feels qualifies someone as far as their skills, financial capacity (especially since homeschooling can be as cheap or expensive as you want to make it), or level of patience I don't know and maybe his speech tomorrow night will help clarify some of this.

And BrendaE...loved your suggestion...gave me a good chuckle!

hockeymom
03-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Glad you got to go, anyway. I imagine that his reasons for being pro-homeschooling are vastly different than my own motivations, but it would be interesting to find out what he means by all that mumbo-jumbo about financial capacity and all.

MarkInMD
03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Regardless of his motivation, it's got to be nice to have someone in power in your corner should you need them.