PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian meals w/o beans

Stella M
03-06-2011, 05:11 PM
I used to be vegetarian and I'd like to go back to at least having half the meals we cook vegetarian. I used to cook a lot of bean/chickpea based dishes. One of my dd has a true aversion to both - she's not just being picky. She can eat lentils.

What are some non-bean, high protein meals I can cook besides dahl or lentil/vegie soup ? I can do some dairy/cheese based meals but not too many. Also dd can't eat eggs.

TIA!

Laina
03-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I used to be vegetarian and I'd like to go back to at least having half the meals we cook vegetarian. I used to cook a lot of bean/chickpea based dishes. One of my dd has a true aversion to both - she's not just being picky. She can eat lentils.

What are some non-bean, high protein meals I can cook besides dahl or lentil/vegie soup ? I can do some dairy/cheese based meals but not too many. Also dd can't eat eggs.

TIA!

Hi,

We eat vegetarian, and I don't worry overly about high-protein meals. Protein is important, but most of us (even vegetarians) get more than enough protein without trying too hard. My kids have never eaten meat and get their protein from milk, peanut butter, almond butter, eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, cheese, and nuts. They do make pasta with added protein now, so that's a good option, and quinoa is high in protein too. Tonight we're having pasta with mixed vegetables and parmesan cheese. We also make tofu stir-fry, all kinds of soups, omelets or scrambled eggs, and salad and baked potato night. Also the fake meat products are getting better--have you tried Quorn?

hockeymom
03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
We don't really worry much about protein either, though I do wish DS would eat eggs (he'll eat things made with them, but doesn't like them on their own). I second the motion on Laina's suggestions--especially quinoa! DS LOVES quinoa pancakes (I cook 1/4 cup quinoa and put it in the batter), they turn out really light and fluffy. Served with peanut butter and maple syrup or molasses...mmmm. High in protein and iron. Flaxseeds have a surprising amount of protein too; I put them (whole and ground) in bread, crackers, granola, muffins...And I agree that there are lots of really good faux meats, but that's something we are trying to cut down on (high sodium and processed, but good in an emergency or as a supplement within a meal). Oh! And seiten if you can have wheat; it's a good substitute for tofu if she can't do soybeans.

Stella M
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I wouldn't fret about the protein except that dd is a dancer and runner. Almond butter and quinoa sound like two easy things to try - we can't do peanut butter b/c I'm allergic :(

BrendaE
03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Can you all eat sunflower seeds? I have a yum yum YUM recipe from a swedish veg friend for a ratatouille with them.

BrendaE
03-06-2011, 07:25 PM
-2 zucchini (skiva och lägg i durkeslag 20 min med salt
-2 paprikor
- 300g champinjoner
-2 gula lökar
Fräs grönsakerna i olivolja med 3 krossade vitlökar
-2 tsk timjan, oregano, basilika + lite salt
Häll över 2 burk krossade tomater och småkoka under 10-15 minuter
Blanda 2 dl créme fraiche med 200g feta. Rosta solros/pumpfrön.
Grönsaker--> mgrsform. Feta/créme F. klickas över + strö frön.
- Gratinera.

I only have to translate the words and not amounts because Ozzies use metric yeah? :D

ok ..
2 zucchini (slice and place on a flat layer of paper towels 20 min with salt)((I never do this step though))
2 bell peppers chopped
300g mushrooms sliced
2 yellow onions chopped
Fry the vegetables in olive oil with 3 crushed garlic cloves ( I actually finely chop this, personal choice)
2 teaspoons thyme, oregano, basil leaves + a pinch of salt
Pour 2 cans crushed tomatoes and simmer for 10-15 minutes
Mix 2 dl (cups) creme fraiche (I just use sour cream here because there is no such things as creme fraiche in Hawaii) with 200g feta. Toast the sunflower / pumpkin (Ive never used the pumpkin though) seeds.
Vegetables into a large casserole dish. Feta / creme fraiche dotted all over the top. Sprinkle the entire top with the seeds.
Broil on low until the dairy on top is ever so slightly brown around its edges.

I Use a lot of seeds because we like the crunchy. If you cant have dairy but others can, leave open spaces when dotting the top with the feta/creme mixture. Everyone wins.

dbmamaz
03-06-2011, 07:35 PM
There's also sunflower butter, then. Nutbutter smoothies . . . noodles w peanut sauce . . . also, when i was a poor student vegetarian, we used to cook lentils and brown rice together in the same pot, and serve ANYTHING over it - veggie stir-fry, spag sauce and cheese, whatever. Some people really like simple tofu dishes - like baked with some sort of seasoning or sauce -but i didnt. I used to do a scrambled tofu I liked tho. Oh, and my standard breakfast is either corn flakes, chex, sunflowers, pecans, dried papaya and soy milk, or hot cereal with fruit and nuts.

hockeymom
03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't fret about the protein except that dd is a dancer and runner. (

Yeah, I understand. DS is a hockey player and that takes tons of energy and muscle too. But if veggie meals are only part of the equation for her, I really wouldn't worry, especially if her diet is pretty well rounded. Most folks get too much protein in just a standard diet so a few lower protein meals shouldn't upset the balance.

Stella M
03-06-2011, 08:50 PM
Brenda, that looks yummy! We love sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds...I'm going to try this recipe next week. Can't get the kids into tofu...

BrendaE
03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Just remember to use the already hulled sunflower seeds ;)

farrarwilliams
03-07-2011, 09:21 AM
For us, eggs for supper is a good protein-filled potentially vegetarian meal. Frittatas, omelets, quiches, etc.

Are all peas really out? My favorite vegetarian meal is black-eyed pea cakes (though I usually make them with pink-eyed peas, though those are mostly unknown sadly). You cook them, mash them slightly with egg, onion, garlic, parsley, red pepper, bread crumbs, and a bunch of other goodies and then form them like crabcakes and fry them up really fast. Mmm... now I'm hungry.

Topsy
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Although certainly not the healthiest alternative of all, I've found that I can buy a Tuna Helper package from the store (I think the one I get is creamy parmesan or something similar) and sneak a half package of firm tofu (instead of tuna, of course) into it very easily. One of my sons is vegetarian and he ADORES this meal. My other son is NOT vegetarian, but actually loves it as well. This is a quick fixer-upper that I lean on when time is tight.

Will your daughter eat refried beans? We love to make homemade Mexican pizzas with tortillas topped with organic refried beans, olives, peppers, cheese, and salsa. Yum!!

Another fave at our house is a fried rice bowl made with protein-rich brown rice, but it does use egg whites.

Pefa
03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Just remember to use the already hulled sunflower seeds ;)

But you'd get so much more fiber if you used unhulled ones....that looks like a great recipe. I also had fun seeing which swedish words I could guess on (champinjoner was easy, lokar I'd never have gotten).

I ditto or third on the protein - as long as you get enough calories your body is really good at making protein. I'm afraid I don't have any recipes for you because most of our veggie meals are bean based.

Wilma
03-08-2011, 08:46 AM
This is great. I worry about protein with our swimmers. Between budget concerns and just wanting to cut down on meat, I want to see more vegetarian meals. We will do eggs and fish. All the bean recipes I found get old.

I have one of the Moosewood cookbooks. They have great recipes. I found mine cheap on amazon.

Stella M
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Yum, yum and yum...