PDA

View Full Version : Math competitions?

inmom
03-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Does anyone know of math competitions available? My daughter has done spelling bees for several years, but my mathematically-minded son would like something more to his interest.

Any ideas?

dbmamaz
03-05-2011, 10:23 PM
I'd start here: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/index.php

farrarwilliams
03-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Mathcounts - but apparently they recently changed their rules to exclude homeschoolers...

There's also Odyssey of the Mind and Destination Imagination (they're basically the same - and yes, I'm sort of an evangelist for this program). It's a creativity competition. However, one of the challenges a team can choose is always very engineering focused. And there's also lots of robotics competitions too - Lego robotics, for example.

dbmamaz
03-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I think homeschoolers can participate as individuals but not as teams. and yes, at least one person claims the rules were started when a home school team beat the reigning champs. They claim its not fair because home school groups can pick and choose over large areas - but of course, that applies equally to private schools, which are not banned. However, they did ban small private schools from grouping together to make teams.