PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Morrocan Tajine

BrendaE
03-04-2011, 05:00 AM
Sometime the stuff you throw in a pot turns out to be soooooo good. I am going to share our pot of dinner. As many of you know pork is taboo in a lot of places in Africa, hence the twisted part of my little recipe here. I am sure you can use chicken thighs or lamb as a replacement if you like though. Its not a very spicy or hot recipe but it is very fragrant and delicious :) It is also enough to feed a large family, or to make for dinner and have the leftovers for lunch the next day. Please pardon my mostly non perfect measurements!

About 3 lbs of boneless pork chops sliced into strips
EVOO
2 yellow onions
8 large carrots (washed leave skin on)
10 small red potatoes (skin on)
4 large cloves of garlic
Splash of any kind of wine ( I used red)
A palm full of cumin
A palm full of paprika
A palm full of cinnamon
About 2 TBSP of franks red hot sauce
1/2 palm full of ginger
1/2 palm full of allspice
4 chicken bouillon cubes
A LARGE pinch of sea salt
3 1/2 cups of water
A large squeeze of lime juice (from the bottle)
1 1/2 handfuls of raisins
a handful of slivered almonds
a 15 oz. can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
about 15 green olives
A long big drizzle of honey

Slice pork into strips and set aside in a bowl

In another bowl chop carrots in half, and then into half moon pieces. Push garlic cloves through a press (or hand chop finely), Chop onions and add to bowl, Cut potatoes in half and then into half moon pieces.

In large dutch oven on med-high, run the EVOO around the pot twice and toss in the meat. cook until some pieces have a nice browned area and the bottom of the pot is starting to brown too. Remove meat and set aside. Add the splash of wine to deglaze and scrape the brown off the bottom of the pot. Add another two turns of the pot of olive oil. Add veggies and all the spices, hot sauce, and salt. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes then add the water and put the lid on. Come back to stir every 10 minutes or so and continue cooking until everything is tender.

Add the beans, raisins, olives, lime juice, and almonds and stir.

Add the pork back to the pot and the honey drizzle and stir again.

Serve hot. If you want to extend it serve with couscous. We had so much we didnt need that though. I guess you can omit things, but dont omit the hot sauce. It does NOT make the recipe spicy in that way at ALL.

Of course I realized too late I spelled Moroccan wrong... Opps!

//Brenda