PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days

Kylie
03-01-2011, 09:04 PM
When you wonder how on earth you got the ridiculous notion that you could homeschooland that you would enjoy it and that it would be so much better than ps for all involved?

And then the reality of the day hits you and your in heap crying on the floor, do you ever?

Welcome to my day!!!!

But now I'm off to visit some friends cause obviously I need it lol!!!

This too shall pass, this too shall pass

Hampchick
03-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Um, yes? Usually when I have one of those days I later realize it has been much too long since I've had a break and some time on my own, with grownups. So enjoy your visit! I hope tomorrow is a better day.

lynne
03-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Definitely, I'm sure we all do! Sometimes my son has a terrible attitude and I find myself almost negotiating with him to convince him to finish the work. ie. " just one more thing, then we can play outside." He is good at making me feel actually guilty for giving him school work. I try not to let that happen. I want him to enjoy learning but let's face it, some of the work is boring:).

BrendaE
03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Yep... I have been to the DMV THREE times today. Each line was an hour long..... that is after you spend an hour trying to find/jockey for a parking spot...

ALOHA ADULT BEVERAGE!

Does that count as "one of those days"?

DMV = Department of Motor Vehicles. (place to pay tax on vehicles, titles, drivers permits etc etc etc)

Laina
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm having one of those days today and I'm not even homeschooling yet! (DD is in 1/2 day K). I suddenly started wondering what I could have possibly been thinking in the first place with this whole homeschool notion. Now I am back to being happy with my decision to homeschool. It is a good decision, right? RIGHT??

MrsLOLcat
03-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Yeah, M1 has been very "Aspie" lately. It's about to drive me completely insane.

So I'm drinking, too.

Cheers! *raises her Smirnoff Ice*

MarkInMD
03-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Except for yesterday, Hurricane has been crazy. Bonkers. Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. I've been trying to go with the flow, but between that and his very needy brother being home sick from pre-K, it's been a bit harried around here, too. But to quote the great fictional motivational speaker Stuart Smalley, we're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggone it, our kids like us.

Sam
03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Yup! I have those at least once a week! I too chant to myself "this too shall pass"

Kylie
03-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Oh far out my post doesn't even make sense lol!!!!

I had a nice couple of hours break, but even there my 9 year old had to be told off, my 2 year old had a melt down and my 6 year old was her usual whiney self...I think I may go find a showvel and start digging a hole.

There is such a huge part of me that just wants to throw the bookwork away and unschool until my 2 year old can cope a little better with it all.....but then I give myself the guilts and can't do it...I do really wonder if I am cut out for all of this, me crying and kids crying is not the way to go :-( :-(

Stella M
03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Hugs to you Kylie. It's hard with a toddler. I found things settled down quite a lot once the toddler hit 3/4. Hope tomorrow is better. Do you at least have some chocolate ?! Maybe you could take the rest of the week off and get everyone back on an even keel ? And I forbid you to feel guilty about it!

hockeymom
03-02-2011, 05:03 AM
((Hugs)) Kylie! We've all been there, it really will get better. Get out of the house as much as possible, and definitely follow Melissa's advice with the chocolate!

Pefa
03-02-2011, 07:04 AM
2 is such a wonderfully frustrating age - all motion no reason (they're getting you ready for adolescence when the onloy difference is the kidss to big to put them where you want them).

You will survive. They will survive. The days are long but the years are short. And nothing like having to clean a gallon of olive oil off a polished concrete floor to offer an impromptu lesson in lowering the coefficient of friction.

dottieanna29
03-02-2011, 08:18 AM
"This too shall pass" has been one of my favorite phrases for the past.....17 years. Actually probably closer to 18 since it started in pregnancy (this morning sickness shall pass, this feeling like a whale shall pass, this constant sleep, eat and poop shall pass....."

One of the reasons I homeschool year-round is so that when one of those really, really bad days come, I can just do enough so that my son doesn't feel like if he whines enough he gets out of doing school, then call it a day. We've had a few of those days lately with the cold, snow and ice-induced cabin fever. I can't wait until Spring when we can call it a day and then take a "Nature Walk" outside and it's still school.

Pilgrim
03-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I'm having one of those days today and I'm not even homeschooling yet! (DD is in 1/2 day K). I suddenly started wondering what I could have possibly been thinking in the first place with this whole homeschool notion. Now I am back to being happy with my decision to homeschool. It is a good decision, right? RIGHT??

LOL. I hear you. In the last week or so, I've stepped back from my frantic researching of curriculum, and DD's been in a great mood toward PS lately. But at home, the two kids have been at each other while I have had a bunch of other things suddenly to take care of, including a pretty sick old dog, getting a new furnace in, and writing due dates... all of which make me wonder... the thought creeps back in that maybe....PS is so tempting sometimes. ;)

Dorothy, I definitely lean toward HSing year-round, for exactly the same reason. I don't like pressure (and I'm very good at giving myself a lot of it), so I don't want to feel guilty (another thing I excel at) for taking a random day 'off' and trying to make up for it somewhere else within a rigid schedule.

Unschooling is sounding more and more my speed.

StartingOver
03-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Those days happen here at least once a week. Sometimes several times in a week. I have a set of shelves that hold games and hands on things. When things get stressful, I just stop and bring out some fun. It really is no wonder my house is never ever properly clean, we do a lot of mess, fun, crafty things around here. LOL Usually after something messy, a bath and a drink for mom ( shhhhh don't tell anyone I sometimes put Irish Cream in my coffee even), then we are off and running again.

Disclaimer: No I am not an alcoholic, it is just the stage of a 3 year old that causes me to spike my coffee on occasion. ;-)

Topsy
03-02-2011, 10:26 AM
I'd be afraid to count the days that I was ready to throw the towel in and pack them off with lunch boxes and backpacks and say "let someone else educate them awhile." But here we are in high school now and it really did go by SO freaking fast. And all those days are long past and forgotten and my kids are both still teenagers with a LOT of curiosity still in them. I feel like had I given in and kicked them out the door, I would have been kicking their love of learning right out with them. But as it is, they still wake up wondering about life. About how things work. About why the world is the way it is. That very sense of wonder is what I fell in love with about the homeschooling thing. In fact, when they used to really get on my nerves and be like "why do we have to do this?" or "why do we have to do that?" I would answer them with something along the lines of "Because I want to make sure that when you go out into life, you can be absolutely anything you want to be. And do anything you want to do. So this stuff is just some of the preparations we are making that will make sure you can take the world by storm when you are ready!" :)

Once they hit middle school, we did less and less of that preparatory stuff and I let them guide their own education more and more. And once we got to that stage, it was pretty much smooth sailing. So hang in there! You are just making sure they are able to do anything they want to in life. They'll love you for it later!!!! :)

Aandwsmom
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Awww, HUGS!!!
Yep, been there! I usually go there about once or twice a month!
Between a houseful of daycare boys, ages 2.5-4 and average out to have 3 or 4 daily. Plus 2 boys of my own, 14 and almost 13 that are polar opposites and have to share a room AND get homeschooled together....... not only is the testosterone level CRAZY in this house but they feed off each other.
Usually ends up on these days that my own kids fight the homeschooling thing, cant do simple lessons on Time 4 Learning and I am ready to bash all their heads together!LOL
I tell my own kids that I do not have to do this, I can enroll them in public school tomorrow and they can go back to what they did not like!
These are the nights that hubby usually stops and get me a beer as a reward because I did not strangle any kids! NOT that I would anyways!
I do take more "potty" breaks these days, spend a few minutes in the bathroom taking a breather before I lose it as it is the only place you can get away from kids in this house.
And if the day is REALLY bad, we take a break for the day. I always insert a few extra weeks at the end of our school year to make up any days.
My boys are off for the next 2 weeks and are headed to Grandmas for part of it. I always work it so that they are down there for the 1st week and still have a week off when they get home to veg out because they are ALWAYS royal stinkers to me after being at Grandmas. I do not know why, I assume because they were on best behavior for 10 days and have to let out the poison aka bad behavior built up in their system or what. It happens every time, so I automatically schedule around it.
HUGS Kylie! I am sure you are doing GREAT. It seems to be more issues about homeschooling during the bad weather months. I think we ALL get cabin fever and it doesnt help that we dont get a break from each other. If you can, seperate yourself and all the kids into seperate rooms for 30-60 minutes. Let them do their own thing apart while you get a break from them, come back and regroup. We do this daily because my house is TINY at 792 sq. ft and there are 3 of us during the day and sons are grownup size PLUS, plus we have 3-4 daycare kids, a dog, a cat and 2 reptiles all living in this space daily from 7:30am - 6pm. Then the daycare kids leave and hubby comes home.
Know that you are not alone in this journey!!! HUGS

mrshorn1975
03-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I am glad to see that I am not alone on this one. We just started HSing in January and today is the first day I really feel like giving up. I just do not seem to have the energy to do anything today, kwim? So I start thinking about how I am letting my son down and how he is suffering from not learning anything. Then I start thinking that maybe he would be better off in ps.

kcanders
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Hi Kylie
I completely understand. It seems like most days here are "one of those days" I am sending you a virtual hug. :) It is good to know we are not alone in the frustration.

bovinesituation
03-02-2011, 02:17 PM
This has been one of those weeks! Is it a full moon or something because PS is looking pretty awesome this week. I have a 3.5 year old and the whining and attitude about about to push me off the deep end. Add to that a teething 2 year old... and neither of them sleeping through the night for months on end (they sleep through the night maybe once every 3 months). Yeah, pass me the Mom of the Year award this week.

Kylie
03-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Not that I wish it upon anyone but I am so glad I'm not the only one...I just really feel like I ma doing my kids a disservice and that maybe they would be better off In school ( even though logically I know that is not the case).

I also know that it is only because we have a 2 year old in house but why do I have to tell my 9 year old that trying to argue with him just isnt going to work...surely by 9 he can understand that whilst it's tuff and sometimes annoying having a 2 year old in the house it is generally easier to ignore than try to reason!!!!

I'm seriously considering T4L until said 2 year old has matured a little, but I'm not even sure that would be worth it...math is independent, reading and reading aloud we can do, spelling is quick and painless...it's really only the other components of language arts that he needs...(and I am only considering basics here, he is not going to die if he misses science and history for a year)

For dd I am seriously considering head sprout, anyone used that or had any experience with it? If she was reading most of her work could be independent too and that would alleviate a lot of the issues.

We get more than enough extra curricular stuff to meet all of the outcomes we are required too....but I'm just talking to myself now lol

KristinK
03-02-2011, 07:35 PM
yeah, the little ones make it really really hard. I have a 3.5yr old, and a 0.5yr old. They are making HSing really really hard right now. The baby because she sleeps in only 1hr spurts allfreakingnight so I wake grumpy and spacey. The 3.5yr old because, well, she's 3.5 *eyeroll* What I have found to be helpful with her is to have her on the computer while I do some school with the other kids. She loves starfall and Boowa&Kwala, and those are 2 sites she can navigate on her own (although I have feared for the life of my laptop on more than one occasion...so far, so good...). So that buys me 30min. She also loves playdoh, and will frequently spend 30min doing that at the table while the others are doing school. Cutting is good too...scissors, a glue stick, and a pile of old magazines will keep her happy for a LONG time some days.

hugs. parenting the 2-4yr olds are hard enough, throwing in school makes it crazy. But in the end it will all work out. Think of your little one as that "behaviour problem kid" that would be in your child's class in PS, distracting the teacher at every turn ;)

MarkInMD
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Ack. Having one of these today. Started off all right but gradually deteriorated. Deadlines for work coming at me while trying to teach, one dog doing his business in the basement and another getting into the trash, and to top it off, my mom just went to the ER with extreme bronchitis that she's been fighting for several weeks. I'm in a real fun mood right now...

lynne
03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Mark, I hope your mom is doing okay there. Hopefully they can do a breathing treatment and release her.

Kylie
03-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Hope your mum recovers quickly Mark

Pilgrim
03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Ack. Having one of these today. Started off all right but gradually deteriorated. Deadlines for work coming at me while trying to teach, one dog doing his business in the basement and another getting into the trash, and to top it off, my mom just went to the ER with extreme bronchitis that she's been fighting for several weeks. I'm in a real fun mood right now...

Best wishes for your mom's quick recovery, Mark.

We were away last week, which was nice, and we did some reading/workbooks, but it always throws us off course. Since we've been back, we've been dealing with a sick dog, sick kids, continued problems with the furnace and water heater (all better now -- fingers crossed), a backlog of volunteer work, a mysterious leak, and a home remodeling project that's taking longer than expected... so HSing has been on the back burner for nearly two weeks now. I'm feeling very uninspired to say the least.

BrendaE
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM
I think we all need a day at the spa. Even you guys could do with a 2 hour long massage and some gentle quiet time.

We should start a World Home School Parent Spa Day event... but.. that would be more work that none of us has time for... *sighs and dreams a little*

Aandwsmom
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Quick recovery to your Mom Mark!
Kylie, I couldnt live without T4L! It takes care of our main curriculum and then I can add in fun stuff. 1st year we used only T4L as we got into a rythmn. The past 2 years we added lots of other stuff besides that but I know that even on a bad day, if they just do T4L.... we are good. It saved my sanity!

It is one of those days here. "A" is sick with a cold, despite my best efforts to keep him well and both boys were due to go to Grandmas tomorrow. That is now on hold for the week and I had to deal with both grandparents and rescheduled their visit. Had to change picking up ducks tomorrow as we were doing it on the way home from dropping boys off. Had to reschedule all the fun stuff hubby and I had planned for the kid free week...... and lastly.... switch around the boys schooling as they were to start 2 weeks off next week and now will be doing school and taking the following 2 weeks off. Not that big of a deal, except I planned on getting the next 9 week session ready while they were gone. Next week might just be a T4L week and nothing else.
And have 4 daycare boys here, 1 who only comes Thursdays and takes all morning to adjust being here so makes for a long day. And he doesnt nap at all but the others do.... so he has to be entertained quietly in living room while my boys do school in the kitchen.
The joys of homeschooling.......

Kylie
03-03-2011, 05:54 PM
And to top off my week I have been up through the night with a vomiting child!!!! Oh Life IS Wonderful!!!!

sdvance
03-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Virtual hugs! When it rains, it pours. We definitely have days when I think the kids would get more out of a school setting, and then, I remember all the reasons why we took them out of school in the first place! BTW, we are using headsprout early reading for our 7 y/o that need a little extra phonics work. He likes it much better than other phonics programs we've tried. His reading as improved tremendously, and when he completes the early reading program, we'll get the reading comprehension.

Kylie
03-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Stacey do you think it is worth the investment? it's not cheap!

sdvance
03-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I honestly didn't know how much it cost until I just looked it up. It really is rather pricey! In Alaska, we get a stipend from the state each year for homeschooling to use to purchase curriculum. So, I didn't actually have to purchase the program. With that said, I probably would have purchased it for my son. He had a very bad experience in ps kindergarten and really was struggling with phonics and reading. We tried other phonic programs that just didn't work well...explode the code being one of them. Headsprout as really helped. Something about this program just clicked with him. He's now reading at his grade level and made such great progress in a short period of time.

InstinctiveMom
03-03-2011, 11:01 PM
We had one of these days today. We're about to embark on a bunch of home improvement projects and the kids were both dragging their feet through lessons today. It happens... 'this, too, shall pass' should be embroidered on all of my clothing, lol. Hope your kiddo was better today, Kylie!

Keeping your Mom in my thoughts, Mark!
~h

MrsLOLcat
03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Mark, I hope your mom is doing better today.

Kylie, I hope the vomiting has stopped!

I'm so very glad this week is over. Or will be over soon. I need a redo.

Kylie
03-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes thanks vomiting has stopped...all seems to be well at the moment, bring on a new week!!