PDA

View Full Version : Home school in Spain - question to mommykicksbutt

Tedesca
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
From what I can see searching the Internet home schooling in Spain is officially not permitted. I was wondering if mommykicksbutt could give me a bit of background information.

There is an opportunity for my husband to take a job in Spain and we need to find out.

Any information regarding the legal status would be VERY helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Julia

mommykicksbutt
03-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Julia,

We are a military family here on official orders under the SOFA (status of forces agreement) with Spain. The military base we are on is a Spanish military facility run by the Spanish, however there are more Americans on this base than Spanish and we provide the majority of the services here (medical, shopping, gasoline, dept of defense schools, etc.).

Homeschooling in Spain is officially illegal, however there is a grassroots movement trying to change that but it will be many years away before any changes will occur in the legalization of homeschooling here. There are a few spaniards who homeschool but we do not here about them much, good or bad.

Now as far as the military is concerned, because we are usually only here for no more than 2-4 years, the Spanish education officials keep a blind eye on our education, the SOFA see to that offically. The Dept of Defense School System (aka DoDSS, aka public school) is here and the Spanish assume that all Americans attached to this military base is covered by this system via the SOFA, homeschoolers included. The DoDSS know we are here and we homeschoolers have a good relationship with them. Everyone leaves us alone to do our own thing. The Spanish don't care because we're military (SOFA), the DoDSS don't care because they get paid anyway and it is our right and choice.

I don't know your situation. Are you coming on official government orders (military, contract to military, embassy, etc). Or are you coming because of civilian business (non government) move. If the later is the case then you will have to do some investigation for the area of Spain you will be moving to. If you will only be there for a year or so then you may be able to get away with homeschooling without anyone knowing (then you'll be gone). You could plead ignorance if caught? IDK. If your kiddos are preK-2 then you may want to consider putting them into a Spanish school for the language. If you are coming to the embassy there are English language schools for them and you should be able to exercise your right as Americans to homeschool while working there. There are a few English language schools here but most if not all are private. I know the military parents that choose to send their kids to Spanish schools have to get permission from the Spanish government to do so and then they have to pay tuition (even if it is a public school).

I've heard of other Americans here for other than government business who homeschool their kids with no problem. The Spanish government just ignores the foreigners. But these Americans are also not home much, too busy seeing Europe and the local sites for the neighbors to complain about kids not being in school. The Spanish in our area are not tattle-tales! They don't want to get into your business, especially if you are a foreigner.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. But we're basically here on a little piece of American turf with no rules for homeschoolers to have to worry about. Your situation may be vastly different.

I'll try to find answers to any specific question you have. Just PM them to me and I'll get you an answer through my resources here.

mommykicksbutt
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Kate! Stop lurking, join, and put your two cents worth on this!

holycrap
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm not "lurking". OK, OK maybe a little, My name is now holycrap. Mommykicksbut, I finally finished your transcript DVD you lent me. Sorry it took so long. I made cookies today too!
To Tedesca: I have been homeschooling my 13 year old son for almost 2 years now. A very good decision ... I think. We don't live on the base. We live out in town and my son told me today that when he walks our dog during the day he usually runs into at least one woman who stops him to ask him why he isn't in school. He says he pretends to not understand.
Other than that, we tend to do our work during school hours and around 3:30 he likes to go to the base and hang with friends and skateboard. We have not noticed any other attention and I don't think anyone cares what we do. I think we are looked at as a transient bunch.

mommykicksbutt
03-11-2011, 06:16 AM
love it! love it! LOVE IT! Awesome name. Even sonny claps at your name.

BTW, Welcome to the site.

holycrap
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Glad you approve. I have a field trip that you have to be a part of. Remember that Ceramic School in Seville that I told you we visited? Well, because it is funded solely by the state all artwork was kept by the school. They are running out of storage room and are finally offering the work for sale! This stuff is fantastic! It is like the tiles at the Alambrah. All for the cost of the clay!
We are pug sitting. Hansel just ripped 20 euro of Duncan's to shreds.
If I don't hear from you I'll call.
Later-tater

mommykicksbutt
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm in!!!! Call me Sunday with the info.

HeathenHomeschoolers
11-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I googled, lol!

If we were to go to Spain say for between 3-9 months, would we have issues homeschooling since technically we were only living there on a temporary basis?

Andrea