PDA

View Full Version : Are you celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday this week?

Aandwsmom
03-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Theodore Giesel was born on March 2nd and it is celebrated by schools with the Read Across America.
Even when my boys were in public school, we still did stuff because I am a Dr. Seuss FAN!
He was the 1st book I read when I learned to read and my boys and daycare kids all LOVE him.
We are doing several activities in the preschool area of my daycare this week as well as reading Dr. Seuss books daily!
I think we are making oobleck and foot stamps and reading the oobleck story and the Foot book for sure.
Last year we read Horton Hears a Who and made Horton Masks.
IF I have enough red construction paper we will make Cat in the Hat -Hats but between Xmas and Valentines Day..... I used a lot so not sure if I have enough left and didn't think about that this past weekend.... otherwise I would have hit up the teacher store and bought some more.

So, do you celebrate his birthday and how?

Stages
03-01-2011, 11:48 AM
We're going to the library for a Dr. Seuss pajama party tonight. Holden's still a little young to get it (She thinks the Cat in the Hat IS Dr. Seuss), so we're not doing too much.

Aandwsmom
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
How cool!!! Have fun!!!

We do Green Eggs and Ham breakfast on St. Patricks Day and I read the book. I have done that since my oldest son was 15 months old and my kids expect it now!LOL
March is pretty much Dr. Seuss month!LOL
I only do it for this week for the daycare though and we do preschool sessions on Tuesday and Thursday.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-01-2011, 02:01 PM
It's my son's birthday tomorrow, too (Seven! I can't believe it...) so there will be plenty of celebratin' on the agenda. Maybe we'll make a point of reading some Seuss, but that's probably it. Last year, when he went to kindergarten, the kids got to bring in their favorite Dr. Seuss book and their slippers to wear in class. I think they colored red and white striped hats.

Aandwsmom
03-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Make Oobleck! At age 7 he will LOVE it! Great kid "science" experiment to tie into a story and its fun messy that they get to keep!
http://www.ehow.com/how_5113333_make-oobleck-borax.html
My older boys and I made it just for fun and its wasnt referred to as oobleck, we got recipe off Steve Spangler Science site and it was AWESOME! They keep asking when we are making again and they are 14 and almost 13!
Happy Birthday to him!!!

hockeymom
03-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Reading Dr Seuss to my son was tedious at best. I stuck to the simpler books instead of the very silly ones because he just didn't understand the make believe words at all. Still doesn't. Too nonsensical for him, same with books like Where the Sidewalk Ends. I loved that as a kid, but he's like "what's that? what do they mean? huh?". Sounds like you are having a fun day!

And happy birthday to your son, AMM! :)

Aandwsmom
03-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I get that! Some kids get it and some dont!
My boys do and I use it in my daycare because the schools do AND I get to read Dr. Seuss!LOL
I love Shel Silverstein as well! We have all the books.
Hubby likes Dr. Seuss but doesnt think he is the end all be all because he didnt READ it like I did as a kid.
Off to put these kids down for nap and then make sure I have the ingredients for the oobleck....

longshawhan
03-01-2011, 04:09 PM
we are going to blow up our air mattress, make a bed in the living room.. watch 'The Cat in the Hat' movie (with mike myers) and read books the rest of the day.. hope everyone has a great day!!

missourimom
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Since dd has enrichment classes tomorrow we are going to celebrate on Thursday with green eggs & ham for breakfast followed by Suess books, the Horton Hears a Who movie and crafts...I'm also thinking of making Cat in the Hat hats. Maybe a paper band around the head & then red stripes on white cardstock cut out in the shape of the hat. I think it will be our all fun day this week. ;o)

Aandwsmom
03-01-2011, 07:45 PM
We ended up reading The Foot Book, made paint stamps of everyone's feet, measured everyone's feet, compared them to each other, looked at our feet closely, etc. So, was a good day and we got some science, math, reading in!LOL

Hoping to do Oobleck Thursday. Have to find my other Dr. Seuss books. Daycare kids have a pile(my boys from when they were kids) but I have my own collection and the last time I cleaned my bedroom.... I put it somewhere... but cant remember where...... poop.

Sam
03-01-2011, 09:44 PM
We would have done nothing (cause I'm a bad HS mom and forgot), but now I'm looking stuff up to do. And we'll read through our collection. DD loves Dr. Seuss!

JEJordan9
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Sam- you aren't alone! I forgot, too! I may just take out some Dr Seuss books and read them.

Aandwsmom
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Today we read Cat in the Hat Comes Back and then I put shaving cream and 2 drops of pink food coloring in a gallon ziploc, pressed most of the air out, sealed it and then the kids have to turn the white snow pink just like in the book. It is fun and squishy without being messy and the daycare kids get to take it home with them to play with later.
Worked great as it came out looking just like the pink snow from the book.

Juniper
03-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Check this dr Seuss tribute out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahv_1IS7SiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

KristinK
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
we watched a bunch of the old Dr.Seuss cartoons on youtube. - The Lorax, Sneetches, Zaks, The Places you'll Go... fun :D

Juniper
03-02-2012, 11:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahv_1IS7SiE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

My daughter can't wait to see the new Lorax movie.

jessica14
03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I made eggs with arrugula for my son and I (Green Eggs, No Ham), watched a reading of The Lorax on youtube, watched a video about Dr. Seuss on BrainPop Jr, made a Lorax cake, drew ourselves as the Cat in the Hat, read some stories, and then went to see The Lorax, which was very good and kept the original intent of the book intact.