PDA

View Full Version : yearly reporting in Florida

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
ok we have had a year full of complete changes in our home schooling process. We started in Jan 2010 in the first grade with our oldest. I have this issue with the traditional school year. Never made any sense to me.
We did the first grade material and everything was fine. We did mostly book work. It was more of a trial to see what would work. She got through that material with no issues. I was unaware that I had to register as a home schooler with the county. So we did not register until April. Oops.
We finished up with the first grade material in August 2010.
I did not want to stop and wait until the beginning of 2011 to move on so we took a month break to get ready for the second grade.
We were ready and began her Grade 2 material. We decided to use the full Abeka for Grade 2. Everything except for math. I had gotten a math curriculum from the teaching store that I wanted to try. To the best of my attempts this was not working. She had no interest in the material and it was a daily fight to get her to sit and work. But I was standing firm at the time and she was going to be home schooled. And at the time this was what I though was the only option was these books. I could not have been more wrong. I was logging everything that she did, every page and every lesson. The whole time she was fighting me and not learning a thing. This went on for about 2 months. I was wore out and she was hating school by this time. I had to rethink this whole approach. So since she was technically ahead a grade level since most her age was still in Grade 1 we could afford to take a break.
So than I turned to the internet. This is when I found the un-schooling method. At first I was like how is this even legal? Than I decided to give it a try. Now I was not going to let her decide on her own completely so I still have not committed completely even now. It got so bad that she would even fight me to go into the school room. This was not good. I needed to make learning fun for her. So I decided to try this way for a while to see if it helped.
I went to find on-line activities for her and found jumpstart.com had her try it first and she loved it. Than we tried learning.com for math. She was having issues with math. She is now back where she needs to be.
My issue is we are rapidly approaching her time to report. We have done more hands on things from a few units we have made, very little paperwork and done mostly art. I have saved some of her art but only the ones that can fit in her folder. The rest have been thrown away because they have rotted, degraded, or just completely unable to save them. Besides for the small amount of papers we have and the reports from the online progress reports. We have little to actually show what she has done this year. And how do I explain the year in a whole? we are doing units most of her work is on line. She can read and reads daily but it is nothing that is school related. She even did not have interest in the Abeka books for grade 2. She would rather get a book off the shelf and read that one.
So If anyone can help me with what I should do fo rher reporting that would be great.
Thank you

Miguels mommy
02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
We're having similar troubles but my son hates art. Take all the books she has read organize them into subjects and throw them onto good reads. Cameras are your best friends for projects. My son's in paperwork mode for Science, but we have no idea what to do for most other subjects. I'm hoping to get through this portfolio and plan better for next year. It doesn't help we lost two of his workbooks.

GothicGyrl
02-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay--whoa there little doggie--take a VERY deep breath! You are making a HUGE mountain out of nothing. Florida is VERY hands-off with homeschoolers and if you are registered with your county ALL you need is ONE of three things:

1.. A test score turned in. Do not recommend the FCAT at all, but any test will do.
2.. A portfolio review done by a certified teacher you trust (I married one). They will look over everything you've done and sign off. For an unschooler, I would compile some of the best stuff you do have, a list of the books you do use (like what's she's read) and anything else you can find. THAT IS ALL.

3.. Register with a private umbrella school where you are not held accountable to anyone except them. :) This is my option. I am with my local homeschool group's private umbrella, but one I do know of and highly recommend, is run by a friend of mine and all she requires is an attendance sheet and vax records yearly. Her website is http://www.alternativeeducationinstitute.org/

There is also this: http://www.freewebs.com/floridaunschoolers though I am not an unschooler so I cannot vouch for them.

Also check the FPEA website for help too. Please trust me, do not panic. Florida just does not care that much about us, no matter what HSLDA tries to scare you into believing. Just write down everything she HAS done (and she's done a lot more than you give credit for--home ec, field trips, any books read, any movies related to those books, etc...) and honestly, I'd either go the #3 route OR I would just purchase the CAT test, administer it at home and give them those scores. http://www.setontesting.com/

elkhollow
02-26-2011, 12:42 PM
You do not have to register as a homeschooler with your county if you live in Florida! You have three options: 1) register as a homeschooler 2) hire a tutor 3) enroll in an umbrella/cover school.

We use an umbrella/cover school called Florida Unschoolers. All we do is report attendance four times per year. That's it. As far as the DoE is concerned we're not technically homeschoolers. They consider dd to be privately schooled, so they have no oversight over us. They can't ask for anything. I don't have to test her. Yes, it is legal. Just find a cover school registered with the DoE. Some charge for their services but Florida Unschoolers is completely free. If you want more info I'll be glad to help.

GothicGyrl
02-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, you do have to register with your county, especially if the child was once in PS. But you DO have to tell your county whether you are homeschooling or not. However, if you choose to go the private umbrella route, you DO NOT have to tell the county you are homschooling, you tell them, as elkhollow said, you are a private schooler. You are not required to give any more information than that.

http://www.fpea.com/starting/index/css/starting_point.html see the second page of the book for the information. You do have to register, either as a homeschooler or a private schooler (using the umbrella option). That is the law.