PDA

View Full Version : Single Parents?

Tosha Crow-Walker
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
So, I love the idea of homeschooling but since I'm a single mom and of course work full time homeschooling doesn't seem like a option. I am in the military so it's not so much a job you can just up and quit.

Do homeschooling families take in others? My son is only a toddler.. so I do have some time to figure things out.. but I am a plan ahead type and want to get an idea of what is going on.

Laina
02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Some may be interested in doing that. I would consider it if someone asked me! I think it would have to be a very good fit for both families and children's learning styles and personalities. If I were you, I'd have to really trust the parent who was doing the schooling, of course.

farrarwilliams
02-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Some do, but whether you can or not depends on your state laws - some states have specific provisions about homeschooling someone else's children.

dbmamaz
02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Someone in my area was looking for a home school family to take her daughter in part time while she was in grad school, and she wanted her working on singapore math, so she didnt think a babysitter would do. I saw one person mention her daughter who had just graduated from a really conservative crazy christain college - but i had met this woman and knew she was an athiest. I wrote her off-list, made sure she recognized the college name, and said that, while I didnt think I could do it full time, i could maybe cover a day a week if she needed to cobble something together. She said that she had found what she needed . .. so long story, but the point is, i think there are ppl willing to do this, esp, i'm sure, if you can pay something for babysitting/etc

BrendaE
02-23-2011, 11:44 PM
I was active duty single parent from grades 1-3. I had a baby sitter come 3 days a week and my DD did art and language arts only with her. The other 2 days she was with a family who also home schooled. She didnt do any work with them though. We did math in the morning before work/school, and History before bedtime. Then anything extra that didnt get done was for Sat. and Sun. It may have helped that I was USAF and my schedule wasnt as flippant as some of the other branches. So.. yes, i can be done. You just need a good plan in place and at least 3 "emergency plans". You will at some point use each and every one.

Tosha Crow-Walker
02-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I am in the Coast Guard, and IT. So, it really depends on the duty station. I might end up on a cutter/boat in his early years, if so he'll be in a school of some sort, but after one tour I'll probably be land bound for the rest of my career. If I go underway he'll be in a school of some sort, maybe a charter. His dad is less organized than I am (and I'm not that organized) so I don't think home schooling is for him.

He will be starting K before I end up at that point though, I might just try and find a home daycare or something and then let him start school with his dad... or at my next duty station. I'm going to try and get slated as an instructor while at this unit (I will be teaching myself) so if it does happen they may not send me on a cutter.