PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Refresh Project

paojava
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Hi there--

I wrote a post today on my blog, and now I am wondering if I should have. Am I way off base about this?

The post was about a local school trying to get a grant for 17 iPods/iTouches from Pepsi.

The post is on my blog, link is in my signature.

Snoopy
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I'm of the school of thought that while technology is indeed important, schools don't NEED all of this. We learned just fine (dare I say better?) with a blackboard, paper, and pencils. You can give people all the newfandangled technology that you want, it's not going to improve education unless the CONTENT is improved. I use a laptop/computer/iTouch and while it's a nice to have, it's not an essential part of Noah's learning. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely hate not having these things at my disposal, but from there to thinking that taxpayers should be footing the bill for Kindergardeners to have iTouches, uh, NO.

camaro
04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
These young whippersnappers with their new-fangled techno-gadgets...why, in my day we had to shovel coal into our computer at school just to get it to boot! And we liked it that way! Now you kids get off my lawn!

Well, seriously, I think suggest technology makes a good supplement to education but not a substitute for education. At our conference Andrew Pudewa read some questions from a Grade 8 (I think) test from the late 1800s. I'm sure it would drive current university students to tears with its difficulty. I'm all in favor of taking a step back to get kids back to the basics.

Museling
04-07-2010, 10:30 PM
err....don't kids get into major trouble for playing with those things in school? Here kid, let me give you a toy that you can't play with here. Cause that makes sense.... Good for pepsi for wanting to help out with the community but (opening a whiole new can of worms) childhood obesity and diabetes are at epedemic levels in the united states and the LAST thing kids need is learning that pepsi is their friend.

Thanking the stars Logan hates soda

paojava
04-08-2010, 12:31 AM
THANK YOU DENISE!!!! I was thinking that too!!!

I just really am getting upset about this the more I think about it...and Graham (my hubby) got an email from one of the teachers today which intimated that they would love his offer of a computer.

UGH. I think they totally missed the point...

camaro
04-08-2010, 10:54 AM
The school here actually had the pop/soda removed from the school several years ago. The machine only serves fruit juice and water. I'm sure Coke or Pepsi still get something because they do own a number of juice and water products but the product in the school is healthier.