PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

Melissa541
04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh man, am I glad to have found this place! Yay!

I'm a homeschooling momma in North Texas, where we're having a heck of a time finding groups & classes that will accept us without a pastor's reference or a Statement of Faith. I've been feeling really down the past few days as it seems more & more places that would (perhaps begrudgingly) accept our heathen presence are changing their policies & requiring a church official to sign off on us to prove that we would, indeed, be a "good fit" in their "conservative Christian" class/group/whatever. That or we have to sign a statement of faith, which I think is pretty bogus. Even in our inclusive co-op, most of the families are pretty conservative Christians. We've had issues with other children witnessing to mine & telling them if it's not the bible, it isn't true. At Girl Scouts last week, my girl made a Darwinfish (she's learning about evolution as she's really into prehistoric life) & one of the moms threw it away.

So, yeah, I'm feeling a little bit sad & bitter & I guess I needed to unload that one some people who probably know where I'm coming from.

I've got three lovely ladies, ages 8, 4 & 18 months. We've homeschooled my eldest in kindergarten, then gave public school a chance for first grade. We've been back to homeschooling again for the last nearly two years & plan to continue until it doesn't work for us anymore.

I'm super excited to read more here!!

Topsy
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
We're thrilled you found us too, Melissa! Some of our secular homeschooling sob stories are pretty pitiful, but I'm thinking yours ranks right up there!! ;) A statement of faith or a pastor's reference??!! That's hardcore!! LOL!! I'm thinking you definitely would benefit from the new article "Finding Other Secular Homeschoolers" on the home page. Hope it will give you a few other ideas for locating other like-minded homeschoolers nearby. You also should drop by the Groups page and add yourself to the Texas group! In the meantime, we're happy to be your cyber-support group and look forward to getting to know you better. Welcome to the site!!

Topsy

Snoopy
04-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome Melissa! So glad you found us. Please feel free to vent all you want. I'd be bitter too if my kid's project had been thrown away by someone who thinks her opinions are better than my child's. Ugh. Are you far from Dallas/FW? Kim (Croppinmom) has started a secular group there and she's looking for members. She's a little quiet this week because she picked up some hours at work, but I'm sure she'll be around to greet you soon.

Museling
04-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Melissa! Glad to see another North Texan here! With more of our fringe friends and random people, we have gotten a lot of the, "You're not religious, so why do you want to do this again?" I've just gotten started on here (and in the homeschool adventure) recently too and have fallen in love with this group of people, I'm opinionated, but I don't think you'll meet a better bunch of parents. :D

Nice to meet you!

Shoe
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Welcome, Melissa.

I'm new here too, but have already found a lot of great people, topics, resources and conversations going on. I'm one of a fairly rare breed-a homeschooling dad, educating my 13 year old son at home, and will start with my 11 year old daughter soon (I'm letting her finish this year in the public school system). I hope things go well for you.

Cheers.

melgriffin03
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi, we're in North Texas as well. It is definitely harder to find Secular groups but they're out there. I can send you some links if you want.

Melissa541
04-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the welcomes. :) I'm glad to "see" some other N. Texans. I knew you had to be out there somewhere.