PDA

View Full Version : New Article on Forum Use

Topsy
04-07-2010, 05:08 PM
I've created a new article on the Home Page called "Forum How-To's (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/231-Forum-How-To-s)" with up to date info and tips on how to get the most productive use out of the current forum setup. Hope it will be a help!!

Topsy

Shoe
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks Topsy, I'll take a look-I'm sure it will be very helpful for newbies like me.

Snoopy
04-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Hey Topsy, I just noticed that when I read the posts by clicking on "New Posts", the forum icons still remain unchanged on the Forum page (i.e. it still shows those particular subforums as still having new unread posts), so then I still have to go to each subforum and do "mark forum as read". Should it be that way? Or is there a delay and maybe I should just wait a bit for the Forum page to catch up?

Topsy
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Hey Topsy, I just noticed that when I read the posts by clicking on "New Posts", the forum icons still remain unchanged on the Forum page (i.e. it still shows those particular subforums as still having new unread posts), so then I still have to go to each subforum and do "mark forum as read". Should it be that way? Or is there a delay and maybe I should just wait a bit for the Forum page to catch up?

Check out the "Announcement" posted at the top of each forum for an explanation of this...basically it boils down to needed to refresh the page for the icons to change.

Snoopy
04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Yes, I had read that article. I read the posts through "New Posts" and then go to "Forum" and even if I refresh the page, the icons still remain unchanged (i.e. indicating that there are new posts but I just finished reading all of them through the New Posts page). As a matter of fact, maybe due to the change in the database (thanks for that!), a lot of the forums showed (via blue icons and bolded thread titles) new posts and new threads but I had read all of those several days ago already. So I went through each forum and marked them all read. Then an hour later I did "New Posts" and read the (true) new posts on there but yet the forum page kept those as "unread". I don't know if I'm explaining this properly.

Topsy
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
That's weird, Snoopy!! It's definitely working on my end, now. I wonder if it could be a cache thing?? How about clearing your cache, closing out your browser, then reopening and trying again. Let me know if that helps....

Shoe
04-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Nathalie,

I initially had the same problem, until I opened each thread at the beginning and went through ALL the pages of it. If I just went to the latest post, and it was a multi-page thread, then it still showed as having unread posts.

reversemigration
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
My trick to this is to use the "mark forums read" action under the "forum actions" widget after I've gone through everything for my current reading session. Of course, I have to make sure that I've read everything, first!

dbmamaz
04-08-2010, 09:54 PM
You could try what I do . . make sure you only go up one step at a time. If you read a post inside a sublevel, you have to finish reading, then go back to the sublevel, NOT to the main level. THEN click to the main level, and its marked as read. note sure why.

Snoopy
04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
That's weird, Snoopy!! It's definitely working on my end, now. I wonder if it could be a cache thing?? How about clearing your cache, closing out your browser, then reopening and trying again. Let me know if that helps....

Hey Topsy, I tried that to no avail... have read all the posts via "New Posts" and then cleared the cache and restarted the browser but the Forum icons still indicate unread posts in quite a few folders, and I've read them all. Also, does the cookie that the database now use to show new posts tracking the individual users or the devices used to read the posts? Because I use 3 separate devices and I noticed that I had read some posts from my iTouch last night and they still showed in "New Posts" on my laptop this morning. Am I whining too much? Sorry. I just thought you might want to know this :) I'm THRILLED to see so many new posts on the forums!!

Topsy
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Good question, Snoopy...I'm assuming the cookies are tracked by the device, because it would seem that they would have to use the IP Address to successfully track activity. That might be a big part of the problem. I would just keep using the "Mark Forum as Read" anytime you can remember to when you're in a forum. That will at least clear it for the device that you are currently on.

I'm thrilled by all the new activity as well. What a growth spurt!! :)