PDA

View Full Version : Decorating for holidays

BrendaE
02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
I was just curious to know if others did this and to what degree?

With the exception of christmas (and even that was toned down), I skipped my regular decorating for holidays this year due to some illness but USUALLY and since grade 1 I have done these

The entire main living areas get the "treatment". I usually find all of this stuff at the dollar store etc actually, sometimes at walmart but usually the dollar store is who carries it.

Valentines day- Big cardboard multi size/colour hearts, signs, and wall stickers.

St patricks day- Same thing and we also bought "lucky shamrock" socks for the big day

Easter- though we go "pagan" style and the house is done up in eggs and bunnies etc

4th of July- This one we take a lot easier though

Fall and start of school- house done up with lots of fall leaves and start of school year things

Halloween- same as above

Thanksgivng same thing

Christmas- the biggest of all.. snowmen (funny in Hawai'i) penguins santas etc All the pictures on the wall get covered in wrapping paper to look like presents etc..

New years- though this year we didnt do it (see illness) but I WOULD have done Chinese New year stuff due to our location and culture environment instead.

This is all in addition to the huge poster boards etc about history and literature and maths and motivational stuff from the teacher store.
We also use window markers and sharpie markers to do math and science notes and problems on our coffee table (glass topped) and on the sliding glass doors. I also have to white boards hehehe so anyway...

What do the rest of you do if anything?

Stella M
02-14-2011, 05:40 PM
"If anything." You sound like a much more fun parent than I am! I used to do seasonal nature tables with my children when they were smaller. That was nice. The kids decorate for Christmas and Halloween. I admire.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Just Halloween and Christmas. We skipped Thanksgiving this year because it seems like the decorations are up for such a short time between the other two holidays. We just dig out our construction paper and glue sticks and go to town.

dbmamaz
02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Ok, WHY is this a homeschool issue? Please tell me it has nothing to do with homeschooling? I put up a tree, but make the kids do most of the work. My daughter bought some halloween decorations w her own money, and left them here (not much tho), so we do that. I mean, one pumpkin garland and a big cauldron i use for the candy. Thats it.

and it has NOTHING to do w home schooling!!! NOTHING!

BrendaE
02-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Ok, WHY is this a homeschool issue? Please tell me it has nothing to do with homeschooling? I put up a tree, but make the kids do most of the work. My daughter bought some halloween decorations w her own money, and left them here (not much tho), so we do that. I mean, one pumpkin garland and a big cauldron i use for the candy. Thats it.

and it has NOTHING to do w home schooling!!! NOTHING!

wow, i didnt mean to offend you. It has to do with it to me as it creates our classroom environment.... Visually stimulating and a constant change so as no one feels bored or cooped up too much... but I digress.. sorry for the offense.

dbmamaz
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Oh, sorry, i'm tired and cranky. I wasnt offended, just mildly annoyed. I dont try to create a classroom environment and i HATE decorating. My point is mostly that if it IS a homeschool issue, that would imply (to me) that its an important part of an education which I am neglecting . . . which i dont think it is. thats all.

I really thought you probably meant to put it in the 'other' section (whatever its called) and just mis-posted or something.

BrendaE
02-14-2011, 07:25 PM
actually.. i did mean to put it under the styles section ... and didnt realize it wasnt until you got upset... I THOUGHT thats where I clicked to start it. Any way I can fix that or?

I have had my share of bad mood. No worries.

dottieanna29
02-14-2011, 07:25 PM
One of the things I'm looking forward to when we get our new house is decorating for every single little holiday. We'll have a large multi-paned window in the living room at the front of the house. I'm looking forward to making sun catchers for every holiday (hearts, shamrocks, pumpkins, etc.), garlands to drape, wreaths, etc. I will probably decorate the most for Halloween because I LOVE Halloween.

I don't do any of this now because we have no easily accesible windows and very little space for decorations. We have too much clutter for our space without adding to it.

hockeymom
02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I put up homemade stuff at the winter holidays but very little if nothing else "holiday-y" the rest of the year. I definitely don't incorporate holiday decorating with homeschooling, just with my own personal sense of aesthetics. :) Although, we did love doing the Thanksgiving tree this year--it's still up and I can't get myself to take it down. We do have a nature table too, but mostly it's seashells and sea glass especially this time of year.

Sam
02-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I wish. I always have grand plans, and usually the decorations for them and then never follow through. Example... Valentine's Day was yesterday, my Valentine decorations are still in the bag they came in around Jan 2010. *sigh*

Hampchick
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm a scrooge. I really hate the process involved in holiday decorating and would rather spend my time doing other stuff. Plus I really don't enjoy the extra clutter and the expense. We do have a tree at xmas and while I enjoy that I have to do almost all of the work myself, DH rarely helps. I'd eventually like to be able to do outside lights at xmas and halloween, but not until we're settled into a permanent place.

alexdk
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm a scrooge. I really hate the process involved in holiday decorating and would rather spend my time doing other stuff. Plus I really don't enjoy the extra clutter and the expense.

That's pretty much me!
I like a little decorating, but I also love when it all comes down and the space is not cluttered anymore.
I am not for decorating for our homeschool at all, maybe that comes with not having a specific space for it.
What I DO like is bringing nature inside, so on our bookshelves we have lots of rocks we have found, seashells, bird feathers, etc...

I did decorate the end of the kitchen cupboard today with all the valentines we have received ;)

KristinK
02-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I wish. I always have grand plans, and usually the decorations for them and then never follow through. Example... Valentine's Day was yesterday, my Valentine decorations are still in the bag they came in around Jan 2010. *sigh*

LOL, that's me.