PDA

View Full Version : Menu ideas?

dbmamaz
02-13-2011, 06:28 PM
OK, i need ideas for dinner for the next few days. Today is spag, yesterday was souvlaki, before that was tacos. Could roast a turkey breast? Dad said burgers. Fish? Orion always says stir fry . . . we did that about a week ago, the bland one where we all eat the same one - a lot easier than the other, but I prefer the one where I make one (chicken or pork w broccolli and baby corn) for the kids, and one (spicy tofu and green beans or whatever chinese greens are looking good) for the grownups. But none of it really inspires me. Sigh.

what are you guys planning this week?

BrendaE
02-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Tonight we are having Subway Stew hehehe I really love soup and stew...one pot is LOVELY
* 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus 1/4 cup for croutons
* 1 package sweet Italian sausage (about 5 links), split and meat removed from casing Or just buy the already uncased stuff
* 1/4 pound piece stick pepperoni, diced OR a chunk of genoa salami from the deli counter and dice it <--my fav way
* 1 ham steak, diced (about 1/2-3/4 pound)
* 1 green bell pepper, seeded, quartered and sliced
* 1 medium yellow onion, peeled, quartered and sliced
* 1 can crushed tomato ( I always use San Marzano.. i dont know why)
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper or just regular if youre not a perfectionist
* 6 cups chicken stock
* 1/2 pound gemelli pasta or other short-cut pasta, spirals work well too
* 5 cups cubed crusty bread or be like me and just buy stuffing cubes premade and use the whole sack
* 3 large cloves garlic, cracked from skin
* 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano cheese (a couple of handfuls)
* 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 2 bunches arugula, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups) this will wilt a lot OR simply a pack of frozen spinach

Preparation

Place a soup pot or deep-sided skillet on the stove and pre-heat to medium-high heat.

Add 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, and the sausage. Brown and crumble the sausage, draining off excess fat, if necessary, then add the ham and pepperoni or Salami. Cook the meats together for 2 minutes, then add the pepper and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the crushed tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock and bring the stew to a boil. Stir in the pasta and cook for 8 minutes.

Make the croutons while the pasta cooks. In a large skillet, heat about 1/4 cup of EVOO, four turns of the pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the bread to the garlic oil, toss and toast the cubes for 5-6 minutes. Season the toasty cubes with red pepper flakes, oregano and lots of grated cheese.

Stir the arugula or spinach into the soup just before you serve it up. Ladle up the stew and float several toasty garlic bread cubes in each bowl.

dbmamaz
02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I would love to have more hearty soups and stews, but dh cant stand 'gravy' (in stews) or 'creamy' soups - even if the creaminess is just the potatoes falling apart. He'll eat minestrone (the boys wont touch it), faux Pho (which we all like), and potato leek soup (even tho its creamy, go figure - and Raven wont eat it). Oh, and my ham and potato, too, which i usually make with smoked turkey lets now. Raven will eat the meat and potatoes if i pull them out of the soup for him. Really, Orion didnt start eating soup until he was at least 8, maybe 9. But he always ate broccolli and carrots, and started eating peas at 7. Raven will only eat fresh snow peas, and occasionally a bit of a raw mushroom (he USED to like mushrooms). I give him a lot of vitamins and hope .. .

BrendaE
02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
well this one tastes like a Subway sandwich... and its not creamy OR gravyish at all :) the spinach kind of "sneaks" in. :D chop and diced veggies VERY SMALL and life is pretty good!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
This week: meatloaf & mashed potatoes, pasta with Italian turkey sausage, sun dried tomatoes & baby spinach, chicken breasts with cheese, tomatoes, and stuffing on top. Then it will be time to shop again.

I have a good soup recipe you might like, Cara: italian sausage, tomatoes, zucchini, with a little pasta thrown in if desired. Very tasty.

bcnlvr
02-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Mon: Spinach/3 cheese tortellini with pesto, Italian sausage, steamed carrots
Tues: Homemade pizza night
Wed: Roasted chicken, greens
Thurs: Pecan-crusted tilapia on greek/spinach salad (with feta, olives, cranberries, oil/vinegar, walnuts)
Fri: Chili or meatloaf (I'll know what my mood is by Friday as to what to make with the ground beef)
Sat: London broil, peas, mashed "potatoes" (cauliflower)

Batgirl
02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Let's see, in no particular order:

Hot dogs and mac n' cheese (kid's choice day)
glazed ham, turnip casserole
chicken broccoli stir-fry
rotisserie chicken, mashed squash, creamed kale

CSA box comes on Wednesday, so I plan my meals midweek.

dbmamaz
02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Oh, how i miss tortellini. Sigh. Your guys foods sound really good, but i'm the only one who would eat much of it, or maybe me and 1 other person.

DH suggested salmon potatoe pie (another starch-heavy food from his childhood). We do all like it, I think i have all the ingredients already, and I can cut out heart shapes from the top crust, making it appropriate for the day. Really starchy tho, esp since i'm also making the chocolate cinnamon bread, but probably as muffins lol

Sam
02-13-2011, 10:57 PM
So far for the week I've got:
Dogs and Taters
Home Style Mac & Cheese
Mexican Casserole
Southwest Stroganoff

anywaybecause
02-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Tonight we had apricot chicken. For the rest of the week, I'm making:
Thai spiced chicken meatballs
Brown sugar chicken
Winter Corn & Chicken Chili
Lentil soup
Pizza night

lynne
02-14-2011, 09:44 AM
We're having grilled marinated chicken, steamed cauliflower and wild rice tonight. Tomorrow I think we're having chicken fried rice. Not sure after that:).

dbmamaz
02-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Pizza night is a struggle for me - the boys LOOOVE it, but its SO much work for me. OTOH, i always make enough for two days (and DONT let them eat leftovers for lunch) so I get a free night out of it.

MrsLOLcat
02-14-2011, 10:38 PM
The only thing I know for sure that I'm making is carnitas. Oz is out of town, so it's just the kids and I this week, and pork carnita is so versatile we can have several meals out of one 4# pork shoulder. We might also have a meatball stew...

As long as I don't have to go to the store for anything other than milk this week, I'll be content.

dbmamaz
02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I tried making some kind of green chile slow cooker pork once, no one but me would eat it, if I recall. too spicy, to greasey, too 'different'

Stella M
02-15-2011, 01:49 AM
Mushroom and Potato Bake with Salad
Lasagne with greens
Leftovers
Nigella's Garlic Chicken with Vegies
Homemade Pizza - margherita or potato

MrsLOLcat
02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Apparently tonight I am making omelets or a frittata. Why? Because we have five dozen eggs in our fridge and some sausage and a bell pepper that needs using. There might also be biscuits and jam, depending on the traffic after M2's violin lesson.

dbmamaz
02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm still struggling. We had salmon pie last night, and its either burgers tonight and faux pho tomorrow, or fish tonight and burgers tomorrow. I still want to roast a turkey breast some time ... just not in the cooking mood. I hate not being in the cooking mood, since i have to do it anyways.

Stella M
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Yes, you can have the most organised menu in the world but if you're not in the mood for cooking...

BrendaE
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
This afternoon I am having some energy and a lot of pain killers so I am COOKING yay (we've had take out the past 3 nights in a row!)

Fake Piggies

Cabbage shredded, ground beef, campbells tomato soup, onion, garlic, Salt, pepper, and paprika, and pre cooked rice.. thrown in a casserole and into the oven.

Wabi Sabi
02-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Sunday- hot dogs w/sauerkraut, raw veggies w/dip
Monday- out for Chinese
Tuesday- grilled lamb chops, roasted cabbage and carrots
Wednesday- eggs poached in tomato sauce with garlic bread and sauteed spinach
Thursday- roast chicken, acorn squash, a salad
Friday- Not sure. Busy day so it will probably be something in the crockpot. Soup?
Saturday- Not that far yet, likely something with the leftover roast chicken from Thursday.

floridamom
02-17-2011, 01:21 PM
We've eaten out more than usual recently while we were car shopping (not by choice). Some of our recent menus, in no particular order, when I have been home to cook:

grilled savory chicken with rice and carrots
chicken fried rice using the leftover chicken above, pineapple slices
vegetable beef barley stew
hot dogs, fresh fruit
tacos
pasta with pesto sauce, salad

I am usually more in the mood to cook when I have menus planned. When I have to figure something out at the last minute every day, is when we tend to just go out or get take out.

Ana
02-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole W/Ham
Salisbury Steak mashed potatoes and carrots
Macaroni and Chicken casserole
Basic Crockpot Meatloaf
Salsa Chicken
Shepherd's Pie
Lasagna Rolls
Tamale Pie
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti

that's what our menu looks like for the next few days. If you see anything you like and want a recipe, just ask.

dbmamaz
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Tuesday we had fish . . . well, except fish seems to be bothering me so I had leftover gfcf lasagna no one else liked
Wed was burgers, but Raven wanted leftover salmon?
Today I have a turkey breast brining.
Tomorrow, no idea. Maybe shrimp scampi? It is fast . . . or pasta salad, it will be warm. but raven hates that.
Might have enuf leftover turkey for turkey pot pie? or enchiladas
Pork chops and baked beans soon.

I do usually have a veggie w these things, really -
tonight is roasted cauliflower, and potatoes roasted in the pan
the scampi is made w snow peas and mushrooms in it
the fish was made w a stewed summer squash.
burgers, well, lettuce and tomato and avacado.
Enchildas . . .well, no. just olives and tomato sauce in them.
Pork chops might have a veggie . .

yeah, i suck at the veggies. Esp since i cant eat peas, Orion wont eat tomatoes, dh wont eat anything butterred or creamed, and Raven wont eat veggies at all. except raw snow peas.

BUt the good news is, dh has already had 2 good responses to his resume, so I might not have to worry about finding ways to economize and still feed my crazy picky allergic family.