PDA

View Full Version : A little legalese please?

BrendaE
02-12-2011, 05:02 PM
My DD is almost done with 8th grade and will start 9th here by April. Our Hawai'ian state law says We only have to notify the school each time the child would change schools. Ex. changing from elementary to middle, or middle to high. I cant seem to get ANY answer from the local high school she would otherwise attend. I have left messages for a month now to call me back (automated system and when i skipped it to speak to a real person i was transfer to various peoples voice mail.

Technically.. I guess NO ONE ACTUALLY needs to know we've started 9th grade right>?

I can just physically go in at the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year and re sign the papers ... i guess...

This wont be breaking any laws because I can just keep SAYING we are 8th grade even though we have begun the high school curriculum right>??

right?? right???

I hate legalese!

anywaybecause
02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Well, I'm not in HI, but here in MA, most of the hsers I know deal with the districts by way of certified mail (signature required!), return receipt. Since you've had no response from the high school by phone, what I would do is a variant on what MA people do. Write a letter to the principal of the high school (We are hsing Child'sName, born on Date, blah,blah,blah. She will begin high school level curriculum on or before April X, blah, blah, blah. As per HI law, we hereby notify you of our intent to continue hsing Child'sName, blah, blah, blah, Sincerely, YourName) and send it in, certified & return receipt. Print out a copy of the letter for yourself, and staple the certified mail receipt to the letter. When the Post Office sends you the return receipt, staple it to the letter, too. That way, you have physical proof that you sent the letter on <date foo> and that <school employee bar> signed for the envelope. If they can't find it, it's clearly -- and legally! -- not your problem. ;)
hth,

dbmamaz
02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
In virginia, we need to contact the school district twice a year, once to send in our notice of intent to home school, including a summary of our plan, and once to send in 'proof of progress' - generally any nationally normed test, or an evaluation by a liscenced teacher. Most people send both of these things in (sometimes together, since one is due 8/1 and the other 8/15) to the superintendent of the school district by . . . certified mail? Something that gives you a reciept. So then you have a copy of what you sent, and proof that you sent it, in case the county says you didnt comply.

lol cross posted!

sallymae
02-12-2011, 08:33 PM
We had to deal with the school district office not the high school.