PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone homeschooling as a direct or indirect result of the recession?

Topsy
02-12-2011, 09:03 AM
I've been contacted by a reporter from Reuters who is wanting to do a story on homeschooling. One of the angles she is pursuing is homeschoolers who have started homeschooling in some way because either of a loss of a job, change in financial circumstances, or some other economy-related issue.

If you feel like this applies to you, and would be willing to be interviewed, would you either PM me or send an email to [email protected] and I will pass on the reporter's contact info.

Thanks!!

GothicGyrl
02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I wonder if the school's lack of ability to secure proper curricula for the children. budget cuts and loss of good teachers and thus, loss of good education; a reason for "economy-related issues?" :)

If you think so, then I'll be happy to contact her.

sallymae
02-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I think it was less expense for us to send our child to school. I agree it was the school that had a economy related issues.

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
11-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes it was less expensive for us to send our kids to school. The uniforms alone we save over 300 a year for both our girls. Than you have their list of school supplies which some we use and others we do not use. And just the fact that they take all the supplies from them on their first day of school and put them all in a bucket for the whole class to use. Meaning that the parents that provided their child with supplies are now providing for those that their parents that did not provide the supplies for their child. That was a huge issue for me when I found that out. Than lets not forget the numerous times the kids are pushed to bring in money for "extra" things and other causes.
As far as HS because of the economy goes not really because when we had children we made the decision that one of us would stay home with them. In fact it was cheaper to do this as day care alone would cost more than what I could make in a week. And his schedule is always changing so we could not rotate even if we wanted to.

lovelymama2
11-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Well, we are homeschooling because I can't afford the gas to get my daughter to the school we had picked out for her ... and I can't find a job, not even Target or the grocery stores will hire me for some reason. I suppose that's slightly recession related :)

jeleikay
11-28-2011, 12:31 PM
So when finances are a very real concern, what do you do for curriculum when so many of them seem to cost so much? I am looking at new curriculum since we're just starting over with HS and they don't like the curriculum we used to use- but my oldest is too old to just buy her a couple workbooks, and I really don't know what to do... we aren't BROKE but can't afford $$$ either.

jess
11-28-2011, 12:53 PM
So when finances are a very real concern, what do you do for curriculum when so many of them seem to cost so much? I am looking at new curriculum since we're just starting over with HS and they don't like the curriculum we used to use- but my oldest is too old to just buy her a couple workbooks, and I really don't know what to do... we aren't BROKE but can't afford $$$ either.

First, decide on a budget. Ignore the existence of things that can't be found (whether new or used) within your budget.

Then, look for free resources. There are plenty available for all subjects at all levels.

If you still have gaps where you haven't found a free resource you like, then look at buying something, focusing on used or low-cost first.

If you let us know what level you're looking for, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

jeleikay
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
If you still have gaps where you haven't found a free resource you like, then look at buying something, focusing on used or low-cost first.

If you let us know what level you're looking for, I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

I've got a 6th grader, a fourth grader and a third grader who is at 2nd grade level with a lot of things.

Faygo
12-14-2011, 10:29 PM
My son's district is losing a lot of money (we're in Michigan, so triple whammies here, hitting everyone)...and so class sizes increased this year and I think that had a lot to do with the bullying that started in the class towards my son and some other kids :(