PDA

View Full Version : Something Rotten?

dbmamaz
02-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Confessions: is there something in your fridge right now that you know you should have thrown out days ago? What is the most likely thing you find, oozing or green, in the back of your fridge?

For me, right now we have 2 partail bunches of grapes, each over 2 weeks old. Unless they are WOW good, we eat 1/3 - 2/3 of a batch of grapes, and the rest just start looking nasty.

Next most likely things are a half veggie in a bag, esp cuke or sweet pepper, or a snack-sized ziploc with a small amount of leftover grated cheese, lost in the back of the cheese-and-meat drawer.

farrarwilliams
02-09-2011, 10:18 PM
There's half a tomato at the back of the vegetable bin that I know is there. I just don't want to think about it.

And there's two almost mushy potatoes in the hanging thing. They're looking extra shrively.

lynne
02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
LOL! We are the same with the grapes. I hate how the store has them in the prepackaged, too large bags.

We always have cheese going bad too because DH likes to slice cheddar for crackers but it just doesn't keep for long in a ziploc. I hate throwing food away. The worst is when you buy something, like fresh broccoli and don't end up using any of it.

BrendaE
02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
yikes... i ahve that half a tomato in there toooooo... Now i am going to think about it all night... tomato dreams for me! i COULD go in there and get it and toss it.. but... well.. but...

Batgirl
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
A lemon, picked from the tree in my parent's yard when we visited last December before Christmas. It has brown spots on it.

InstinctiveMom
02-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Cleaning out the fridge is my Loverly Husband's job, not mine. ;) I try really hard not to look too deeply into the fridge, lol. I am really bad about boxing leftovers - not so great about letting them ever see the light of day, so there's no telling what is hiding out in there just waiting for an unsuspecting hand to bite.
~h

inmom
02-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Honestly, with my teen son's appetite, NOTHING ever stays long enough to go rotten!

Sam
02-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Amazingly nothing right now. But only cause the fridge was cleaned out recently....

camaro
02-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I've seen a jar of hot cheese sauce lurking at the back of the fridge. Is growing a head of hair. I thought about tossing it but I think it moved to hide behind some pickles when I reached for it so I closed the door.

lynne
02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I've seen a jar of hot cheese sauce lurking at the back of the fridge. Is growing a head of hair. I thought about tossing it but I think it moved to hide behind some pickles when I reached for it so I closed the door.

LOL! So funny:)

farrarwilliams
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I got inspired by this thread and threw out my saggy potatoes. But I haven't gotten to the tomato yet...

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Why do they sell grapes in such emormous bunches? Both of my kids love grapes, but we have a hard time getting through three pounds of them. Rotten food inventory: a bag sketchy grapes, a square inch of Brie that my husband never finished, and a few odd slices of deli meat that are probably past their prime.

Sometimes my husband asks, "Why is this [mushy/moldy/slimy whatever] in here?" to which I usually reply, scathingly, "Because nobody ate it, duh."

dbmamaz
02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, I might say "because no one threw it away" lol. I actually found a tomato w some unexpected colors on it, on the counter when I was picking up yesterday. But i think it doesnt count cuz its not in the fridge?

hockeymom
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
If I start thinking about all the tidbits that I know need to be thrown out, then I need to shovel a path to the composter. That means bundling up, digging a path through a foot of snow, trying not to slip on black ice, hammering inches of ice off the compost bin, remembering something I forgot to throw out, go back inside, take off shoes, grab sand for the walkway, try not to slip on black ice, fall anyway, curse because I dropped the kitchen compost bucket and dinged it, realize I should dig out more of the driveway...ah, forget it. It can wait another day, right?

dbmamaz
02-10-2011, 12:50 PM
You know, its ok to throw compostables in the garbage under extreme circumstances!! ok, i quit composting 10 years ago when I became a single mom . . i keep considering it . . . Raven used to play Eeko World and always ask if we composted and then tell me we should . . .

hockeymom
02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Oh I love my compost. Before we moved I used to compost in the backyard and I really miss my pile--seriously! I had a very weird love affair with my compost and my worms, but I digress. We have too many animals here--rats, raccoons, deer, even the occasional bear and moose--and I don't want to commit to making a real bin in this location so I use our town compost instead. It's actually required that we compost here, which I think is fabulous, and it's picked up regularly. So it's not a big deal; DS would never allow anything remotely compostable go into the trash anyway! :)

inmom
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Why do they sell grapes in such emormous bunches?

This probably isn't a good idea right now (-5 degrees here), but we freeze the extra grapes. Just wash them, put them on a cookie sheet to freeze. After frozen, put them in a ziploc to munch on later. These are GREAT in the summer.

Oh, and we, too, have had to trudge though thigh high snow to get to our compost pile. However, we've been collecting it in larger buckets in the garage before we make the trek! Otherwise, we take it out almost daily, and I don't have the motivation to do that now, or the heart to make the kiddos do it!

jess
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Why do they sell grapes in such emormous bunches? Both of my kids love grapes, but we have a hard time getting through three pounds of them.
Because in our house, we'll easily go through that much in a day if I'm not careful. Rotten grapes are SO not our problem.

There's a thing of turkey gravy that may still be good, but I don't feel like opening it up and smelling it to see, so I'll just leave it until I'm sure. However, lately we've been pretty good about getting stuff used.

schwartzkari
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Peaches.
I bought some at the farmers market, put them in a drawer in the fridge and forgot to eat them.
Otherwise, we usually have something moldy in the pantry...probably the raisin bread. lol.

MrsLOLcat
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Grapes never last for more than 36 hours in this house. Bananas, on the other hand... the last two somehow never seem to get eaten. They don't live in my fridge, though. The most common thing to find completely dead and oozy in my fridge are green onions. I'll buy a bunch, use two or three, and the rest turn to a goo consistency that even Slimer would be proud of. Right now I'm also pretty sure there's a container holding a tiny bit of leftover corned beef and cabbage somewhere in my fridge. I don't know its state. I imagine the cabbage is in worse shape than the meat, but I don't really want to go check. I also have a fruitcake in there that's no doubt in pristine condition. We get this particular fruitcake from my grandmother every Christmas, no matter how many times we tell her it NEVER gets eaten. DH won't let me throw it out because he insists that he'll eventually eat it (he never does). About June I'll get fed up with its existence and toss it. *shrug*

hockeymom
02-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Grapes never last for more than 36 hours in this house. Bananas, on the other hand... the last two somehow never seem to get eaten. They don't live in my fridge, though. The most common thing to find completely dead and oozy in my fridge are green onions. I'll buy a bunch, use two or three, and the rest turn to a goo consistency that even Slimer would be proud of. Right now I'm also pretty sure there's a container holding a tiny bit of leftover corned beef and cabbage somewhere in my fridge. I don't know its state. I imagine the cabbage is in worse shape than the meat, but I don't really want to go check. I also have a fruitcake in there that's no doubt in pristine condition. We get this particular fruitcake from my grandmother every Christmas, no matter how many times we tell her it NEVER gets eaten. DH won't let me throw it out because he insists that he'll eventually eat it (he never does). About June I'll get fed up with its existence and toss it. *shrug*

Oh you'll KNOW it when the cabbage goes..oh my. :)

And green onions...do you know you can plant them? Yep, just stick the roots (chop them off the rest of the scallion, which hopefully you'll eat) in some soil and watch them grow. You'll have free scallions all season long.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh you'll KNOW it when the cabbage goes..oh my. :)

I've never experienced "gone" cabbage, but the most disgusting thing I ever had was oozing rotten potatoes. I couldn't get the smell out of the wood cabinet for weeks and it was totally nauseating.

farrarwilliams
02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
When I was in high school, we all knew certain things that were in the fridges of our good friends that were so aged that you could never touch them. One friend, IIRC, had a jar of green marachino cherries in the back of her fridge for YEARS. But then there was a hurricane while we were away at college and when we all got back for break that year, all the things that had languished in the fridges for years and years were gone. I remember it was a little sad.

dbmamaz
02-10-2011, 08:59 PM
i wonder if fruit cake would be good as bread pudding?

dbmamaz
02-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I got a suprise! The next tub of earth balance margerine, still sealed and w a 'buy by june 11' stamp . . . was covered in lovely swirls of yellow and green fuzz!

BrendaE
02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Because of this post... for some reason, every time I walk into my kitchen the words "Something rotten in the state of Denmark" keeps going through my head hehehhe YAY!

My tomato REMAINS! (there are two ways to read that ;) )

MrsLOLcat
02-14-2011, 10:32 PM
My tomato REMAINS! (there are two ways to read that ;) )

LOL!! Is this a personal challenge now? A science experiment, perhaps? :p

And yeah, we get wild onions around here that my son hunts up and brings in the house. I've tried planting the actual green onions but between the gophers that have possessed our front yard and the chickens that roam the back, they don't stand a chance. Must get grub killer into the lawn this spring...

Alanna Rosewood
03-30-2011, 04:49 PM
We've had science experiments that even gag DH.
Lettuce
Kale
Leftovers
ew unknowns

Don't get me started on an uncleaned crock-pot,yuk'ola

kewb22
03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I simply tell people that I like to grow my own penicillon.

I have some Kale that I forgot to use languishing in the veggie bin, I know there is a questionable jar of olives lurking in the back.

belacqua
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
This discussion was the first thing I thought of when I found the goats milk brie at the back of my fridge. Everybody hated it, but it was rather expensive and nobody wanted to take responsibility for throwing it away. I finally got up the courage to to toss it...I think it made a rude remark as I threw it in the trash.

I must keep this all in mind as my springtime Cautionary Tale. I tend to get seduced by the produce at the farmers' market and consequently wind up with far more vegetables than we're likely to eat. Ever. Must be strong.