PDA

View Full Version : Anyone homeschool and work full-time?

Wabi Sabi
02-09-2011, 11:42 AM
My husband and I both work- ever since the kids were born we've been juggling opposite shifts. He typically works traditional daytime hours and I work some evenings and overnight shifts with an occasional weekend thrown in here and there as well (luckily when I do overnight shifts I usually get to rest for several hours while at work- not exactly the same as sleeping, but still some pretty deep rest.)

My ds is finishing his last semester at his current school and then we will be homeschooling. Because of my schedule I'm often pretty low-energy and low-key during the day so my biggest homeschooling concern is making sure to stay on top of what needs to be done instead of sitting around waiting for an opportunity to nap, lol.

Anyone else in a similar situation and if so, any pointers? How have you made it work for your family?

Shoe
02-09-2011, 12:12 PM
My husband and I both work- ever since the kids were born we've been juggling opposite shifts. He typically works traditional daytime hours and I work some evenings and overnight shifts with an occasional weekend thrown in here and there as well (luckily when I do overnight shifts I usually get to rest for several hours while at work- not exactly the same as sleeping, but still some pretty deep rest.)

My ds is finishing his last semester at his current school and then we will be homeschooling. Because of my schedule I'm often pretty low-energy and low-key during the day so my biggest homeschooling concern is making sure to stay on top of what needs to be done instead of sitting around waiting for an opportunity to nap, lol.

Anyone else in a similar situation and if so, any pointers? How have you made it work for your family?Yeah, I'm in the same situation. I work full time in the evening, and am often exhausted during the day. I try to organize homeschooling so the kids the work that they can do more independently at the times when I know I'll be at my lowest energy, and the more teacher intensive things on my days off or days when my energy is higher. I hope it's going well, but honestly, I'm a bit worried about it this year, and am more anxious about my kids' upcoming standardized testing than they are. I just don't feel on top of things, though they are doing their work.

Alanna Rosewood
02-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Yes, we both work full time. Ds mostly works on his own and I ask him about it and we discuss any points that he may not understand. He has a daily and weekly folder under the fav's on the computer and works from those in addition to reading and Handwriting w/o tears. I worry he may not be learning enough which is why I have him tell me about his day and dictate it back. It's not my "ideal" homeschooling but for now I still feel better about it than if he was at public school getting bullied and be unhappy.

MarkInMD
02-10-2011, 12:07 AM
I work full-time, but at home with flexible hours, so it's not quite the same situation as yours. I think the more independent the child can be in a situation like that, the better. Is that a possibility with age/temperament?

InstinctiveMom
02-10-2011, 03:51 AM
I stay home, but you get a big gold star from me for working together to make homeschooling work for your family! I think that's awesome :D
~h