PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast & Lunch?

callie
02-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I am trying to get organized around here, and this includes getting my shopping habits in order. I spent hours yesterday working on a spreadsheet with all our suppers/dinners listed with ingredients. Now I need to finish my list for breakfast, lunch and snacks. And I need help. Breakfast around here is usually just cereal or poptarts, I am trying to figure out some quick foods that are a little healthier. Same thing for lunch, usually sandwiches, hotdogs or chef boyardee.

So, what does everyone fix for breakfast and lunch around here?

TIA,
Callie

llcornet
02-09-2011, 09:28 AM
For breakfast we like yogurt with granola. It's tasty, easy and filling.

dbmamaz
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Breakfast - cereal with nuts in it (we add nuts, not ones that come with nuts) and maybe fruit (dried or fresh); yoghurt and toast (maybe w pb); i make pancakes on the weekend and freeze them and nuke for breakfast; hot cereal (with fruit and nuts); eggs and toast

Lunch - mostly sandwhiches or leftovers. WE love leftovers for lunch!!

hockeymom
02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
I like leftover dinner for breakfast and/or lunch. DS likes pancakes; I save half the batter and use it the next day. DH eats a lot of my homemade granola; he prefers it to store bought cereal.

mommykicksbutt
02-09-2011, 10:38 AM
We make our own juice in the mornings (sonny's is all fruit and mine has vegies and herbs). Sonny is a big breakfast fan whether it be cold cereal and milk to french toast (make these in big batches and freeze) topped with fresh fruit and real organic maple syrup or homemade buckwheat pancakes with carob chips (again, make in big batches ahead and freeze) use like a tortilla and rolled up with raw almond butter and raisins in the middle.

We will often do smoothies for lunch. We keep bananas pealed and frozen ready for the blender, add almond milk and fresh fruit and hit frappe'. Our favorite smoothie is what we call a banana split with an Elvis twist: frozen bananas, strawberries, almond milk, cocoa powder, agave syrup (sweetener), and a big heaping spoonful of raw almond butter or organic peanut butter. Yum!

BrendaE
02-09-2011, 12:06 PM
We do hot oatmeal... and have something to the tune of 8 flavours to choose from. Not the kid stuff dino eggs or whatever they are called but the Oat revolution of something (I really could just go downstairs and look but..oh its called Better Oats hehe.) to change it up I have bags of frozen fruit that I pop in the blender with some frozen juice from a concentrate can and water.. and we have HUGE smoothies. Drinks are hot tea or decaff coffee AFTER you have had a glass of milk or juice. I have a teenager so this may mean nothing at all to you. LOL
The little guy I am nanny for eats breakfast at school and on the weekends he has the same options as above sans coffee options.

ETA: LUNCHES! Oh my goodness I gave up on that long ago. When I make dinner.. i cook for an army and the extras go in containers for individual sized lunches either in the fridge or freezer. I also leave a bowl of assorted fruit out on the table all the time.

I personally also end up switching.. right now I am eating some left over sausage alla pomodori... and having a coffee... sounds sick eh? I will probably have a smoothie for lunch.

It got rid of me having to buy or cook lunches and REALLY cut down on the amount of processed stuff like CBRD !

bcnlvr
02-09-2011, 12:37 PM
I make sure there is appropriate food in the house and do not prepare bfast or lunch anymore. My DS9 and DS6 handle that. Their menu choices are: fruit, yogurt, nuts, eggs, bacon, cheese, hard meats, veggie juice, almond milk, water. They have to decide what items to put together and eat. I provide dinner daily and a big family bfast on Saturdays. I found that I was getting overwhelmed with what seemed like endless meal prep/clean-up, so I taught them how to do it and left them to it. They needed some hovering at first, but they are independent now, much to my delight. AND until DS6 was old enough to participate, DS9 served his brother whatever he was having. Voila, teach a man to fish.

BrendaE
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I make sure there is appropriate food in the house and do not prepare bfast or lunch anymore. My DS9 and DS6 handle that. Their menu choices are: fruit, yogurt, nuts, eggs, bacon, cheese, hard meats, veggie juice, almond milk, water. They have to decide what items to put together and eat. I provide dinner daily and a big family bfast on Saturdays. I found that I was getting overwhelmed with what seemed like endless meal prep/clean-up, so I taught them how to do it and left them to it. They needed some hovering at first, but they are independent now, much to my delight. AND until DS6 was old enough to participate, DS9 served his brother whatever he was having. Voila, teach a man to fish.

hhehhee I wish there was a LIKE button..

I do the same thing. DD serves DSS breakkie and lunch on the weekends and herself those two all of the time.

brendag
02-09-2011, 01:42 PM
You can always make breakfast burritos, wrap individually in plastic wrap and then freeze. Then you jet pop them in the microwave. Add veggies, sausage or whatever the kids like.

You can also make big batches of oatmeal to freeze. Add whatever fruit and nuts that you want. I do mine in the slow cooker, but spray it with Pam first and stir a couple of times so it won't stick or burn.

Yogurt, fruit and granola are a big hit here as well.

Let's see. Breakfast casseroles with hash browns, eggs, veggies, and cheese. Just bake. This last a couple of days with us when I do it in an 8x8, but you could make a bigger pan and have it last longer.

You know, Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food" website has some great, simple meals. There are usually many recipes with only a few common ingredients. The magazine has a "lunchbox" section that I have used to make lunches for my DH to take to work so he wasn't going out all the time. I don't know if they have that on the website.

Firefly_Mom
02-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I have to confess - we never, ever do cereal for breakfast! It doesn't seem to matter what kind we eat, we're always starving again an hour later. :) DS's favorites in the morning are waffles with peanut butter and sliced bananas, eggs and apple cinnamon muffins, and peanut butter toast. If he hasn't already snarfed down the leftovers as his before-bed snack, he'll sometimes have leftovers. He also will go through periods where he'll want lunch items for breakfast, like quesadillas (made with corn tortillas, as we're gluten-free), tuna sandwiches, or grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Lunches depend on our schedule. If we're going to be gone all afternoon, often we'll just make a big brunch before heading out and then bring some snacks for later. If we're going to be home, we'll do sandwiches and some kind of fruit, apple slices with peanut butter, leftovers (if he hasn't already eaten them), homemade soup, etc.

Typically everything I cook takes less than 10 minutes, which really isn't all that long. Muffins take a grand total of 20 minutes, and 15 of that is baking time and the soup takes 5 - 10 minutes to prep, and the rest of the time it's just sittin' on the stove while I'm off doing other stuff.

Sam
02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Breakfast here is 80% of the time cereal, toast or frozen waffles. The other 20% I'll make eggs (usually an omelet), or we'll have some kind of pre-frozen food item (homemade, breakfast burritos, muffins, ect...)

Lunch - DD1 almost always has Mr. Noodles (ramen) and a sandwich. DD2 almost always has a banana, a slice of bread and some yogurt. We're boring.

MrsLOLcat
02-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Breakfast: I am also of the 'teach a man to fish' category. M1 and M2 are both perfectly capable of getting breakfasts and lunches on their own around here. On school mornings I usually set things out because none of us are morning people and M2 is rushing to get dressed and M1 waits till the last second to get up, but the meal still consists of things like bagels, English muffins, toast, frozen waffles, oatmeal, Kashi bars, or breakfast burritos/bowls. Once in a while I'll have the time to scramble eggs, but it's not often. We do big breakfasts on the weekends, or once in a while I'll fix a pan of cinnamon rolls or make a triple batch of pancakes so we have leftovers. I haven't done muffins in a looong time... *ponders*

Lunches: M1 is usually left to his own devices for this. Leftovers happen a lot. Sometimes he'll make a sandwich, but he usually prefers just to zap something. I keep a lot of things on hand for him to fix with, and he gets to have pretty much whatever he can make. I scrounge for myself, too, and will sometimes fix myself something but usually eat leftovers as well. I hate sandwiches unless someone else fixes them, so I'll go to great lengths to avoid those.

InstinctiveMom
02-10-2011, 02:23 AM
<snip> french toast (make these in big batches and freeze) topped with fresh fruit <snip>
Our favorite smoothie is what we call a banana split with an Elvis twist: frozen bananas, strawberries, almond milk, cocoa powder, agave syrup (sweetener), and a big heaping spoonful of raw almond butter or organic peanut butter. Yum!

We're more 'brunch'ish. My kids are early risers so they usually grab something handy (a cereal bar and fruit and yogurt) and then I cook later in the morning.
We do french toast too, topped with fruit, sometimes peanut butter and melted fruit preserves as 'syrup'. I make homemade McGriddles on rare occasions - whole wheat pancakes with light sausage. We do smoothies several times a week - MommyKicksButt, your Elvis smoothie sounds like heaven!

On cold days, we do hot breakfasts - oatmeal or some other hot cereal - I put a variety of supplements almost everything I make; Nopalina plus (http://www.nopalinausa.com/) and Rhino FOS & Acidophilus powder (http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=3058) are favorites. We also do breakfast wraps (eggs & onions and cheese in a tortilla) pretty frequently.

For lunch, we do soup & sandwiches pretty often; we're big on picnicking, so things that travel well are popular here. I recently discovered Bento lunches and made that today for lunch. I can tell already that this might become how we do lunch form now on, lol.

That's awesome :) I could totally learn a lesson here.
~h

alexdk
02-11-2011, 11:18 AM
My kids are on their own for breakfast and lunch, meaning they figure out what they want and feed themselves ;)
The youngest I still help her but she's getting really good at it too.
I just make sure there are healthy choices for them.

Breakfast can be any of the following:
- toast (or english muffins, bagels, or wraps) + jam or PB or Nutella
- homemade granola with soy/almond milk or yogurt
- hot cereal (plain oatmeal)
- waffles (my husband makes big batches of these plain w. wheat waffles or banana waffles and then I freeze them, they go perfect in the toaster)
- eggs

I rarely buy boxed cereal because it goes way too quickly! If there is a really good sale on, then I do as a special treat.

Lunches...I would like to get some better choices for that meal, but for now this is it.

- sandwiches (PB or sliced meat like salami)
- canned soup or left over/frozen homemade soup
- chili (can or homemade frozen)
- wraps
- KD mac and cheese
- various leftovers

There's always fresh fruits, yogurt and apple sauce around. My kids snack on these or have them as desserts. I don't buy a lot of the pre-packaged cereal bars, we bake instead about once a week.