PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing this summer?

paojava
04-03-2010, 12:21 PM
We are just about at the end of our year. We started in July. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, we took off...and it was HARD to restart in January. So...I have been thinking of year-round schooling. I am not saying I am going to go all hard-core in the summer, just going to do a few things...geography, art, and lapbooks.

What are you going to be doing? Any suggestions from veterens? Does this make me a meany?

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey Lexi. We typically follow the p.s. calendar since my other kids are in p.s. I always plan on Noah doing at least math every day in the summer but my good intentions last maybe 2 weeks and then I succumb to the puppy eyes he gives me because he doesn't want to do it! lol. This summer my other kids will be at their dad's for the whole month of July so we'll definitely do math every morning, but maybe just play games instead of doing worksheets. I got a couple of books from Teacher-Created Resources with Math File Folder games (and also Language Arts file folder games) and we have a few math-themed board games too. I was hoping to organize some type of relaxed math/educational game co-op this summer for my group but 1) they're not into doing co-ops and 2) they're all leaving in July (who wants to be in Florida in July? Not Floridians, apparently!).

I'm also weighing whether to register Noah for a swim summer league that will take place 3 nights a week for 6 weeks over the summer... at the same time, maybe I could just get the annual passes to the Disney Water Parks. It'd be more expensive but maybe more enjoyable for him and we could go in the mornings before it gets too crowded and have our afternoons to just relax at home or go on outings... I haven't decided yet.

CroppinMom
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Our schedule is really somewhat random. Since I only have to worry about 1 kiddo it makes it a lot easier to be flexible. We tend to do school everyday for anywhere from 5-10 days and then take a day or two off and start again. Some of those days include field trips though. We will continue doing this through the summer since it gets so hot that all you want to do is stay in the A/C anyway and it helps to keep him off the of the video/computer games for part of the day. Doing it this way our days tend to be shorter (usually over by one o'clock) and then we can take longer breaks whenever we want. We've been know to take a 5 day break to spend time getting the garden ready for planting or 7 day break to do spring cleaning or whatever. I find that it helps with the starting back up if the break isn't too long either. So, I definitely don't think you are a meanie!

crstarlette
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
The past two summers we have done projects involving going places and writing about them. We go somewhere, take a picture of the kids there, they each write about it, we glue the photo to the page on which they wrote, and slip the page into a page protector in a binder. 2 summers ago we visted various parks around the state. It was a lot of fun. I made sure we saw a waterfall, did some swimming and saw some caves. Last summer we started gonig to places from the book 101 Places You Gotta See Before You're 12. The places in the book are general, like a city dump, some caves, a "world's largest..." item - not specific things, so you can choose places that are convenient or interesting to you. We will continue with that project this summer. We will also continue with History Odyssey which is mostly fun anyway, and math. There are some other things we are doing that we may continue into the summer because we are not finished with them, but hopefully won't take ALL summer to finish, like biology for my ds8 and phonics for my ds6.

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Last summer we started gonig to places from the book 101 Places You Gotta See Before You're 12. The places in the book are general, like a city dump, some caves, a "world's largest..." item - not specific things, so you can choose places that are convenient or interesting to you.

I am LOVING the ideas I'm hearing about in this group! Crstarlette, thanks for mentioning this book, my library has 3 copies and I just put one on hold. It'll be fun to see what of the 101 things Noah has already seen and try to cross some off his list this summer as well :) Suddenly the summer is sounding a little busier. Did I mention before that I love planning? lol.

dbmamaz
04-03-2010, 10:57 PM
My boys do much better if I keep them busy . . . otherwise they just play video games all day until the younger one starts screaming his head off becuase he's overstimulated and the older one starts begging me to buy him new games because he's bored of all the ones he has. My plan . . . we'll see how it goes .. . is to focus mostly on science this summer .. . do an experiment or two every day. Plus reading and the pool. But still several hours of game-free time a day. I also wonder if I should keep my 14 yo doing some math to keep in shape so he doesnt lose math over the summer . . . need some practice problems . . . prealgebra/early algebra

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Cara, last summer I signed up my then 13-year-old son for ALEKS (http://www.aleks.com/homeschool) and I loved it. (He wasn't too happy about having to do math every day in the summertime but since he didn't want to go back to being homeschooled, he didn't have a choice...) I could log in and see exactly what he did, what objectives he had mastered, what he still needed to work on. I think back then I got a 30-day free trial which turned into 2 months because I emailed 2 of my friends about it. We ended up getting a 6-month subscription to supplement what he was (not) learning at p.s. and he used it for a couple of months and then got tired of it, but still, I think this was a very good program. It's all computer based and the explanations are good, as are the exercises, IMO.

dbmamaz
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Oh, my older son LOVED ALEKs. But i had warned him that if he destroyed his computer with a virus again, he would be doing homeschool without any computer resources. So i paid for 6 monhts of ALEKs and we used 2 months. This is the third time he's totally destroyed his computer by getting a trojan. He agrees that he really cannot be trusted to stop himself. So now the only on-line resources he has are his Wii and his i-pod touch (a holiday present from his bio-dad's entire extended family lol). So he can use SOME web resources, such as Khan academy and about 1/3 of the videos on discovery streaming, but nothing needing flash or any other plug-in.

Riceball_Mommy
04-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Since this is our first year, I'm going to pretty much wing it a bit. We'll be finished with the curriculum in May. After we get back from vacation I'm just going to try to structure some time to do a few things. I think we'll focus more on the Kumon workbooks and just reading books from the library. We were supposed to use the science kit that she just got for Easter too, but she got excited about it and we opened it today. I think there may be enough to some of the experiments a second time though.

hjdong
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
This will be our first non-schooling summer in 3 years (since DS turned 5). We've always gone year round, 6 weeks on, 3 weeks off. But, our charter requires year round attendance and since DS is attending classes there, it's harder to duck the way I did in previous years. So . . . my plan for the summer is to continue to require reading and "fun" math daily and to have him do keyboarding daily (with one week on either end fully off, plus whatever time we spend camping, well, except for reading, there's no escape from reading).

I actually preferred and miss our year round schedule. I predict horrible boredom by week 3. I've arranged with a friend to have a one day a week home based "summer camp" and switch kids every other week, we've planned 3 camping trips, my sister is coming to visit, and I'm hopin to get to visit my mom. I hope I'll look back and say the time went quickly.

I don't think it's mean at all to go year round.

Snoopy
04-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I've arranged with a friend to have a one day a week home based "summer camp" and switch kids every other week, we've planned 3 camping trips, my sister is coming to visit, and I'm hopin to get to visit my mom.

I tried to do the same... I offered to have some type of a Kids College deal for my group members this summer where we could take turns having the kids over for a day of activities (cooking, camping, sports, board games, whatever...) but they're all leaving the state in July, which is when I could do it. Rats!

JinxieFox
04-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Lexi,

We just school through the summer, although the workload is a bit lighter by then. We begin the Monday after September and end in early August. There are many ways to approach the summer, as you can see. For us, we like to at least continue to work on the basics (reading and math) year-round.

ginnyjf
04-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I have no idea what we're going to do this summer! We're not officially starting homeschooling until the fall, although it honestly feels like we're doing unschooling right now. (The other night I was sitting in Zack's bed and we were talking, like we always do before bedtime, and he asked, "Mommy, how much blood does the human body hold?" And since I had my iPod Touch with me, we looked it up right then and there. Then we discussed how the body makes blood, how much blood could you safely lose, how much a unit of blood is compared to the total volume of blood in the body and how to convert liters to gallons. He's hard to keep up with sometimes.) But getting back to topic, I was hoping to take the summer to figure out where we should start and use the time to gather resources in different areas. In Missouri, I have to log so many hours in the core subjects and I want to get a head start so we can take a family vacation this autumn. Zack is all over the map, working at grade level in math and way above grade level in English and slightly below grade level in anything involving large/fine motor.

I would love to find that "101 Places" book; it sounds fantastic!! We're planning our usual day trips and a few extended trips because Zack likes to collect those elongated pennies; you know, where you put a quarter and a penny in a machine and it spits out an elongated penny with a design on it? He found the Penny Collector site that lists machines so we're going to visit as many as we can within reason. It will be a fun way to spend some of our days. There are also a lot of good camps available in our area and Zack will be attending a tae kwon do camp, a cooking camp, a magic camp and a computer camp at the Y.

Great ideas, everyone; thanks!

melgriffin03
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
We are in Texas, so summer pretty much sucks. This will be Ethan's first 'school year' so I'm thinking about starting in June/July so when the weather is nice we can take the time to get outside and enjoy it instead of worrying about getting behind.

Closeacademy
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
We do 4 day weeks year round. We are usually done with school by lunchtime and the pools around here don't open until around 1 so it works it well. We do school in the morning and go to the pool in the afternoon or run errands or do other things. This summer it looks like we will be involved in getting ready for Lego League and we have playgroup on Fridays.

We also take off between 2 and 4 weeks in May when the weather is perfect.

Snoopy
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
We do 4 day weeks year round. We are usually done with school by lunchtime and the pools around here don't open until around 1 so it works it well. We do school in the morning and go to the pool in the afternoon or run errands or do other things. This summer it looks like we will be involved in getting ready for Lego League and we have playgroup on Fridays.

We also take off between 2 and 4 weeks in May when the weather is perfect.

So you have a playgroup every Friday? Noah would love that. We also do school until noon Mon-Thu and usually we do a field trip or park day on Fridays and if not, we're just taking it easy and doing a little school. We don't have public pools here (a lot of people have their own pool in Florida but we don't) and I envy you the ability to go every afternoon when it's hot! We had a family membership at our local gym just so that we could use the pool but it cost us over $100 per month and then they started letting all the daycares bring their huge groups of kids all the time so I cancelled the membership. I'm still mulling over the Swim Summer League at that same gym ($120 for 6 weeks, 3 nights a week, non competition) or getting the Disney Water Parks annual passes (FL resident discount... about $200 for both of us total). Not sure what to do.... the gym is 20 min, WDW is 1 hour away. WDW would be more fun though. Arrgh, I wish someone would make the decisions for me sometimes, lol!

crstarlette
04-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I would love to find that "101 Places" book; it sounds fantastic!! We're planning our usual day trips and a few extended trips because Zack likes to collect those elongated pennies; you know, where you put a quarter and a penny in a machine and it spits out an elongated penny with a design on it? He found the Penny Collector site that lists machines so we're going to visit as many as we can within reason. It will be a fun way to spend some of our days. There are also a lot of good camps available in our area and Zack will be attending a tae kwon do camp, a cooking camp, a magic camp and a computer camp at the Y.

Great ideas, everyone; thanks!

The 101 Places book. (http://www.amazon.com/101-Places-Gotta-Before-Youre/dp/1579908659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270522809&sr=8-1)

I LOVE the penny idea! ...(after looking at penny website)... the first place on the list for Iowa is Adventureland (rollercoasters etc.). I'll have to decide if I want to go there before I mention this idea to my kids or I'll be hearing about Adventureland all summer long.

Firefly_Mom
04-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Our summers always end up busier than the rest of the year - even if we start with a fairly blank calendar. One thing we never, ever do in the summer is go on vacation! That's when all of the public schoolers are on vacation (crowds - ick!) Besides - who has the time? ;) We take full advantage of the great weather and spend tons of time outside - camping in the mountains,hiking at the coast, and in the garden. My son is already signed up for some camps and classes (acting camps, hunters safety course, etc.) and there are a few more that we're checking on. Many of these are ONLY offered during the summer, so if we don't catch them, he has to wait a whole year to take them again. We also generally attend bi-weekly park days with our homeschool group, and will continue with the monthly homeschool book group. He also volunteers weekly year-round, and he'd like to find a second place to volunteer, so we're checking on that as well.

inmom
04-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Our summers are usually busy here also. Daughter plays softball, while son runs in 5K races. Then there's camps: electric camp, dunes environmental camp, 4-H camp. There's all the work on the 4-H projects before the fair in July, and the Fair itself. We tend to unschool in the summer, rather than use our typical eclectic style.

Jessica
04-06-2010, 03:34 PM
We'll be keeping up with math and using The Dangerous Book for Boys (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0061243582/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02C3N3GVEE984BKTCPD4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846). We'll be tieing knots, making bows and arrows, making paper hats and boats, fishing, skipping stones, doing coin tricks, growing sunflowers, learning to play chess, learning to navigate using various methods, learning about codes and ciphers including Morse code and the Navajo Code Talkers' Alphabet, studying astronomy, reading about famous battles, learning basic first aid, making an electro-magnet, writing messages with secret inks, learning to play marbles, identifying trees on our property, and introducing them to role-playing games.

Doesn't that sound like fun?! Nik is super excited to finish his regular school work so we can get started, and so am I!

Shoe
04-07-2010, 02:27 AM
We're going to take most of the summer off from any formal educational activity, but we plan to take a long field trip to Washington DC at the end of August and I'll use it as an opportunity to introduce a study of US Government and the history of the Constitution. Since we're also going to visit in Canada early in the summer, I think we'll stop in Ottawa (Canada's capital) and visit the Parliament Buildings and do a bit of a comparison study between the Parliamentary form of democracy and the republican form found here.

ginnyjf
04-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Jessica, we love the Dangerous Book for Boys, but I had forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have a nice, big order for our local bookstore now.

paojava
04-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Cool. I feel MUCH better now!

We have recently changed our math curriculum, and I am quickly finding out that we are missing a lot that I thought we had covered...so here is my current plan for the summer:

Finish our new math curriculum.
Finish our History curriculum (take a few week off, and then start 2nd grade)
Geography/Maps
Art
Lapbooks or read alouds, or whatever we feel like doing!

Home-schoolMomma
04-23-2010, 02:23 PM
We personally school year round....This allows us to take time off during holidays and only do 3 days on avg per week of studys...
We just use a online program called Time4Learning (http://www.time4learning.com) for our studys....
I think year round schooling is the easiest and more relaxed way to home-school...JMO ;)

HoodOrnament
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
We are doing:

Latin review (We are starting Cambridge Latin at co-op in August and I just want her to review a bit)

Math (Catching up)

Essay writing (Getting BETTER and more diligent with her writing skills. Her creative writing is fine, but her expository writing leaves a lot to be desired!)

LJean
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
My plan is to spend one hour a day doing math with my daughter. She really needs the help. I was also thinking of doing a unit study of one of the science topics we would be doing next year. Since I recently dusted off the telescope... well, astronomy sounds like a plan. I want to make it as fun as possible. I also have two geography games (The Scrambled States of America and Name that Country) that we will play.

belacqua
04-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Our plan for the summer is to finish Grade 8 by the end of June. Then the kid goes to math camp for most of July, so I'll spend that time figuring out how in heck I'm going to handle high school. August should be pretty low-key, although the kid will have to finish his online math course so I don't have to pay for another extension.