PDA

View Full Version : Don't feel like doing anything for Easter!

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Good morning all,

I hope you have a relaxing weekend ahead of you :) I don't have much planned on our end. We're going to the Home Depot Kid Workshop to build a butterfly house for our house and I have to finalize my taxes. Yuck.

My kids are really campaigning for me to have an Easter egg hunt in the backyard tomorrow morning. Folks, the older boys are 16 and 14... aren't they a little too old for this? Can't I just give them a bag of candy and be done with this? lol. I guess I should be thrilled that they have such good memories of years past.

So I guess I'll be stuffing plastic eggs the whole afternoon too. And getting up at the crack of dawn to hide them in the very same hiding places we've used for 8 years since Noah gets up at 7 a.m. on the weekends. What's up with that?! I have to make him get up every weekday at 7 a.m. so we can get going with our morning errands and on Saturdays and Sundays I find him up in front of the TV at 7!. For some reason every holiday ended up feeling like a big chore for me this past year. I have holiday burnout.

I was hoping that the local French bakery that just opened would sell those giant chocolate Easter eggs filled with little chocolate eggs, fishes and such like they do in France (such a fond memory of my lapsed-Catholic childhood!) since they have a picture of one on their website, but, to my dismay, they don't. Poop.

I'm not cooking any special meals though.

You?

hjdong
04-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry you're burnt out on the holidays. Why don't you make the teens make the hunt for Noah since you're doing one for them in the afternoon? When we got to be that age I remember taking turns playing Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny so my mom actually got a restful holiday.

I am actually really excited, maybe more for break than for Easter, but it's all rolled in. DH took James to Lowes for an egg hunt this morning (I wanted them to make the butterfly house at Home Depot too, but I got outvoted. Poo!). So, I'm lying in bed alone in the house. That by itself spells contentment. In previous years we schooled year round, 6 weeks off, 3 weeks on. Since we joined the charter, we have to do a traditional school year and are both finding it difficult so we're both looking forward to break, beach plans, friends for a camp out in the backyard, going to the movies, nothing we couldn't/don't do during school time, but all condensed, a little preview of summer.

camaro
04-03-2010, 01:57 PM
I've been shredding my hands and arms fixing a couple of trucks lately so today I'm doing schoolwork for a break. :) Carla's working at the gas station this weekend, too (Friday through Sunday 3pm-9pm). But we will be getting together with my sister's family for Sunday lunch mostly because her two kids have birthdays this week so the kids will get to enjoy eating cake and playing together. We'll probably hide some eggs around the house tomorrow morning, too. But I still have to feed cows

I think being a farmer holidays never meant a lot to me since our days off usually conincide with rain and not certain dates on the calendar. There are times I'm cursing all the traffic on the highway when I'm trying to cross to get to work in a field somewhere. :)

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Lowe's had an egg hunt?! I don't think ours did. Shoot, I could have gotten out of doing one here, lol. The butterfly house is cute but Noah doesn't want to paint it. I might take a whack at it. I'm going to use it next to our brand new raised bed garden so the butterflies (hopefully) pollinate my little veggie patch. Last month he made a rain gauge so I need to install that too. I like the Home Depot projects better than the Lowe's project, I think they tend to be a little more useful, but he's happy as long as he can swing a hammer, lol.

I'm not going an egghunt for the teens this afternoon, merely stuffing the eggs for the egghunt tomorrow morning. They don't want to hide the eggs, they want to find them too. But since they also don't want to get up early and I mostly got chocolate candy and it's in the 80s here, I'm going to tell them that they'll just get their stash of chocolate when they get up so it doesn't melt. They've already stocked years of Easter egg hunt memories so I think they'll survive, lol.

Enjoy your break, hjdong! We're on Spring Break too. We have lots of things planned too but also downtime for mom, yay! The weather is nice here and I sure wish we had a pool :(

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I think being a farmer holidays never meant a lot to me since our days off usually conincide with rain and not certain dates on the calendar.

David, do you use the Farmer's Almanac for any of your stuff or is it all in your DNA by now? I would think being a farmer requires you to be very organized, no? My former FIL was an airline captain and so he was always working or on call for the holidays (which meant he was on call in Detroit, not here in Florida!) so we never ever did any holidays ON the actual holiday. Since my divorce and subsequent remarriage, it's been kind of nice to do the holidays when everyone else is going them, although with my custody agreement, we do Christmas on Xmas Eve one year, Xmas Day the other. I sometimes wish we'd just use the Eastern Orthodox calendar so Xmas falls in January when everything is on clearance :)

CroppinMom
04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
We aren't doing much. The local family (which numbers around 18) will be meeting up for brunch tomorrow and that is about it. My holiday plans revolve more around the fact that MLB's Opening Day is tomorrow with my team playing on Monday. Easter, Schmeaster.... It's BASEBALL SEASON!

camaro
04-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Well, Nathalie, for me it's time to get into the field when I see the neighbor out there already! Actually, part of it is DNA I guess because I'm the 4th generation on this farm (100 years next year I think) but generally everyone follows the same schedule around here. With both Carla and I working off the farm a bit (and homeschooling of course), there's a bit of juggling to do now and then so I do start things a bit early or late at times. It's not unheard of for me to put off my own work to make some money working for someone else. Then I find myself racing the weather to get my own work done. So me organized? Not so much. :)

Spookygirl
04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
OMG, that is me today. First off, we are a Pagan family, but because of life and $$ and such, we missed Ostara this year, so I thought what the heck, let the kids do it on Easter like their friends this year. Now I have lost my wind, we dyed eggs and that was plenty of torture, but now I have to get Easter basket stuff (yep, I've got nothing so far) and have to hid it and all, ugh.. Don't wanna..

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 08:55 PM
LOL, Spookygirl! I tried stuffing the eggs this afternoon only to realize that one of the candy bars I got will fit in the eggs... so I ran back to Walgreens to get smaller candy too. Well, it's now almost 9 p.m. and I STILL haven't stuffed the eggs. Maybe the Easter Bunny will take a page from Santa and come down the chimney this year... lol. Oh and I boiled the real eggs but forgot to have Noah dye them. Oh well, we'll do that tomorrow afternoon, I guess. I did stick some Easter decoration on the table and an egg cutout on the front door and I have cute little "Happy Spring" kitchen towels hanging on the oven handle. I'm hoping that maybe he'll just forget about the whole thing. I should have just pretended to have forgotten about the whole thing myself.

Spookygirl
04-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Okay, so I went to Target, and got one basket that can be used for outdoor play or a planter later on, no grass (hate that stuff!!) and two chocolate bunnies, one little toy for each of them, and 1 egg. It beeps and talks and they can hunt the one over and over, until I rip the batteries out of it ;0)

Shoe
04-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I really don't have the energy to do anything either...my wife has picked up a bit of candy, so the kids (ages 11 and 13) will get something (though I feel they're too old for this already), but we're not doing anything terribly special.

dbmamaz
04-03-2010, 11:04 PM
i dont really do easter at all . . grew up jewish . . havent been covering religion at all w the kids, either . . . but i did sometimes enjoy the egg hunts . . but its been a while. Well, the people who do our home school recess planned an egg hunt during recess. My kids have so much allergies, I really didnt want to deal with it . . .even tho they SAY no food, everyone brings food. But i had already bought stuff thinking I MIGHT participate, but Raven was willing to skip the park-day one if we did one at home. I brought all the stuff in to my 17 yo's room and asked her if she'd do it . . .she said she would have to eat all the peeps, because i only got one box. So i bought another box of peeps to bribe her . . and she stuffed them! I'm going to try to get her to hide them with me, too. She used to hide the empty eggs for her other younger brother all the time when they were younger. Its a huge deal, becuase she's been totally withdrawn and not participating with the family at all.

oh, we also accidentally showed up at an easter event at the botanical gardens today, but it wasnt too big a deal. We avoided the giant bunny-costume person and spent some time petting real bunnies, and other than the music, it was a normal day at the botanical gardens.

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Okay, so I went to Target, and got one basket that can be used for outdoor play or a planter later on, no grass (hate that stuff!!) and two chocolate bunnies, one little toy for each of them, and 1 egg. It beeps and talks and they can hunt the one over and over, until I rip the batteries out of it ;0) FUN! I hate that fake grass too, I never buy it. My cats would choke on it anyway.

I did announce that they would get an Easter baggie tomorrow but that I wasn't doing an egg hunt... everyone seems to have taken this in stride... but now I'm starting to feel guilty! Since Noah wakes up before anyone else, maybe I'll just hide eggs around the living room so he can "discover" them first thing in the morning. Must...make....myself....go....upstairs....to..... get..... the......candy! Is it evil that I know my kids don't like Almond Joy but it's my favorite candy so I got 2 bags of Almond Joy eggs (What? It was on Buy One Get One Free special at the store a couple of weeks ago!) because I know they'll give it all to ME?

Snoopy
04-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Cara, I love Peeps too! No one else in my family does. This year is the first year I didn't buy them though (because I discovered the Almond Joy eggs instead!). I'm glad your DD is coming out of her shell to help you with this. With all your food allergies, do you find candy that's safe for you guys in the store, or do you have to make your own?

dbmamaz
04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, peeps arent totally safe, but little one had asked for peeps specifically, and i figure there isnt THAT much dye in peeps - not like jelly beans. I also got some pez, but they didnt fit in the eggs (also not much dye) and some gluten-free bunny cookies. The rest is little toys. Since we havent done much easter celebration ever, not being even remotely christain, they have no expectations. its just a fun game.

Maybe next year i'll be motivated enough to actually teach them about the holidays. they get REALLY tired of hearing the same story every year and i get tired of telling it.