PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Homeschooling with a Baby?

Topsy
02-05-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm a long, LONG way from those baby days now, but I can still empathize with those of you who are homeschooling with an infant in tow! :p I thought it might be a good idea if those of you closer to the issue might share your tips on how you make homeschooling + baby = something close to sanity!! ;)

Share away!!!

Sam
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
We school during naptime and naptime only. There's no way we could school with DD2 (19 mths) awake. Once she's bigger and can be more independent (read longer than 3 seconds), maybe, but for now, we work with her naptimes (and I'm lucky enough that she's still napping twice a day)

alexdk
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I started homeschooling when my youngest was 1 and it was WAY easier when she was 1 and 2 years old than when she was around 4 years old! Maybe I had an easy baby?!!

I think working around the baby's needs is the best way. I did always try to find something for her to do if I needed to work with my older 2..lots of busy but contained activities as she got to the toddler years (little water play, a big bucket of rice/noodles/beans + scoops and toys, puzzles, stacking toys, etc...). I also tried to give her lots of attention and we would rotate. By that I mean that one of my older kids would spend some time with her, reading to her or playing with her while I did something with the other one.

I would say trying not to stress too much about what gets accomplished. There were plenty of days that didn't go perfect like what I am describing above, and that's when we would decide to put the books away and go to the park or the backyard..

StartingOver
02-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I put the kids in a ring sling from birth, they would rock to sleep as I walked around, so I could still get homeschooling done. The Sling was a life saver this time around. My first trip through homeschooling, they all started at once. Having three kids in under four years will do that.

ItBeganInCamp4
02-06-2011, 12:20 AM
My 3 year old is more my problem right now....most of the time, she is happy looking through picture books or writing on a white board with a dry erase marker. She's started sitting down next to us and paying attention to math lessons and I have a little table set up that she can play with play-doh on (school time is the only time she gets to do that). My littlest is still only interested in nursing or sleeping, so that works out. I'm sure it will be interesting when I have an 18 month old and am trying to teach a 6 year old and an 8 year old, we might just stick to naptimes for a while! I took each of my oldest girls to work with me when they were little (lactation counseling job, so I needed to be able to talk to mothers) and my biggest life savers were toys that they only got to play with during those times, snacks, and putting them to "work" (giving them pamphlets to sort or a blank chart to write on....anything to make them think they were helping me with important things).

jess
02-06-2011, 02:22 PM
So far, baby is easy. She sits on my lap and watches, or nurses, or I can work during her naps. We were back up to normal within about 3 weeks of her birth.

I'm guessing it will be more of a problem when she hits the toddler stage.

h5rus
02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
During nap time is key! However I also got a mother's helper for a few hours a week. She entertains the twins and I get to do some projects with the oldest and we get a LOT done!

ercswf
02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I have my daughter on my lap or next to my feet all the time. Or you can find her in her sling riding around as I do stuff. For me my little girl is not much trouble when it comes to our lessons and that may change. BUT my nephew who is close to her in age is another story. That boy never stops getting in to things, does not sit still, and has to yell all the time. So for him we tend to have him get things or color next to the boys.

In the next year I plan to get some little desk(s) for the 1 year olds to play at while we do lessons.

kcanders
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Corrigan,
I can totally relate! I get scared too when I hear what age is going to be harder. Luckily mine is not walking yet! My 8 yr old daughter walked at 9 months, by 12 months she had perfected climbing on the dining room table, and by 15 months she was running on the counters. (A word of advice...keep all chairs and stools pushed in at all times, it makes them harder to climb) I am perfectly content for Jax to keep crawling for now and postpone walking! Everything else you describe happens at our house on a daily basis...eating everything he finds, tearing books off shelves, tearing pages out of books, screaming all the time, etc. I try to put him in a baby carrier and he is usually ok if I am walking around, but it is hard to do spelling or pre-algebra with an 11 year old with dyslexia or read chapter books with an 8 year old while briskly pacing from room to room. If I sit down with him in the carrier he screams and tries to climb out, or pulls my hair or scratches me. I also try to have one of the kids watch him while I work with the other. That sometimes works, but he is often tired so he just screams for me.

We made a breakthrough last week and he went from no naps to 2 naps 20-30 minutes each. And today his first nap lasted 50 minutes. I was so excited!!! Hopefully this trend continues and he will be taking real naps soon. My other two at this age were sleeping for a hour and a half in the morning and another 2+ hours in the afternoon (it took alot to get them to that point, but they were there by about 9 months or so). He is driving me crazy.

Good luck! feel free to email me if you want to vent. I completely understand.

Sorry this turned out so long. I am enjoying reading all the suggestions.