PDA

View Full Version : Freezer cooking/OAMC

Sam
02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
The other thread got me thinking, anyone here have favorite OAMC recipes or meals you like to make in bulk to freeze?

Here's one I'm making tonight:

French Toast Sticks

8 slices bread (Texas Toast style or French)
1/4 cup melted butter
4 eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2 Cut each slice of bread into 3 pieces to make sticks. Texas Toast is a very thick sliced bread about 3/4" thick. You could substitute french bread if Texas toast is not available.
3 In a bowl, mix together melted butter, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk. Beat well.
4 Dip sticks into egg mixture and place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
5 If there is any dip left, you can drizzle it over the sticks.
6 Bake for 25 minutes on middle rack of oven. Turn halfway through baking time.
7 Allow to cool.
8 Flash freeze on cookie sheet, remove and place in a ziploc bag.
9 To reheat: place 3 sticks on a microwave-safe plate and heat on high for 1 minute until warm. Serve with syrup.

dbmamaz
02-04-2011, 07:16 PM
I dont do whole meals (esp since I only have my fridge-freezer, and its not big), but I do make meatballs from scratch and freese. Well, I used to bake the meatballs and freeze them and nuke them when it was time for dinner, but the guys convinced me to, instead, freeze the meatball mix in batches (flattenned in ziplocs) so I just thaw overnight and then fry up the meatballs while the pasta is cooking.

Most of the rest of what I freeze is condiments - bread crumbs (from end pieces or bread failures), home-made broth frozen in ice cube trays (2 cubes are 1/4 cup), vinegar-free salsa I make for myself, sometimes refried beans (i often react to canned food, and all the organic refries have tons of seasoning in them). Oh, and i have some cookie dough (frozen in mini-muffin-tins and then put in a ziploc) in the freezer right now. I also have some single-ish servings of the gfcf lasagna I made - no one else liked it, so i just pull it out when they want fish, which I react to. Oh, I also occasionaly make more creamed corn than I need for the french-canadian shepherds pie, so I have that ready.

I do keep thinking it would be nice to have a real stand-alone freezer . . .buy a whole lamb, make more things in large batches.

mommykicksbutt
02-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I've discovered a rule of thumb when it comes to freezing meals for later enjoyment. Understanding what is happening to the food during freezing so that the meals will be taster, healthier, and look better when reheated from the freezer is key...

The extreme cold temperatures causes the water molecules to freeze, water expands when it freezes and forms tiny crystals. This expansion and crystals ruptures the cell walls of food causing moisture and nutrients to leach out. Adding extra moisture allows that the water external to the foods cells walls will freeze first and provide a protective layer to the food's cell walls. (this is why orange growers spray water on their crops to protect the oranges from freezing when temperatures drop below 32 degrees)

So, knowing this we should....
1) Meats should be in a gravy or a sauce. Freezing cooked meats drys them out. Nobody likes dry, chewy meat. The gravy/sauce helps buffer this freezer drying out of the proteins.
2) Side dishes (carbs) should be very moist before packaging for the freezer. This allows them to reheat faster too. Again, the freezing causes them to be dry.
3) Vegies should be way undercooked before the freezing to keep their moisture content and crispness. They will finish cooking when reheated.

Hope this info was helpful.

brendag
02-05-2011, 11:01 PM
I have the book "Dinner is in the freezer" and that has a lot of good info on how to freeze different types of food, although I'm sure it is on a website somewhere!

Ditto on the meat in sauce momkicksbutt!!

ItBeganInCamp4
02-06-2011, 12:04 AM
A friend bought me a copy of Fix, Freeze, Feast (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603427260?ie=UTF8&tag=itbeinca4-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1603427260) a couple of years ago and I've gotten A LOT of use of it. We've tweaked a few of the recipes to better suit our tastes, but there haven't been any that we just don't like. Most of the recipes make 6-8 meals, but I typically half a recipe, but make the same number of meals out of it (so my meals come out half-size) and that feeds our family (two adults, two small kids) dinner, plus sometimes enough leftovers for one adult lunch the next day. It's been a great money and time saver!

floridamom
02-10-2011, 10:00 PM
A friend bought me a copy of Fix, Freeze, Feast (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603427260?ie=UTF8&tag=itbeinca4-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1603427260) a couple of years ago and I've gotten A LOT of use of it.

I have this book and use it a lot. What I like about that book is that you don't cook the food. Instead you prepare it for cooking, like you do at those expensive meal preparation places. Since you don't cook the food until the day you're going to serve it, it tastes much fresher than pre-cooked and frozen.

Sam
02-11-2011, 03:29 PM
right now I'm making calzones for the freezer... mmmmm....

Ana
02-16-2011, 01:55 AM
we do OAMC a lot of canning as well. I am sure I have at least 3 months worth of food in the freezer right now! Unless the kids come for a visit.

So, knowing this we should....
1) Meats should be in a gravy or a sauce. Freezing cooked meats drys them out. Nobody likes dry, chewy meat. The gravy/sauce helps buffer this freezer drying out of the proteins.
2) Side dishes (carbs) should be very moist before packaging for the freezer. This allows them to reheat faster too. Again, the freezing causes them to be dry.
3) Vegies should be way undercooked before the freezing to keep their moisture content and crispness. They will finish cooking when reheated.

Hope this info was helpful.

VERY HELPFUL!! I will put this info to good use from here on out.

Fix, Freeze, Feast

I will be ordering a copy of this!