PDA

View Full Version : Leonardo daVinci now at MOSI in Tampa, FL

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm really excited about this field trip. It just so happened that we started studying the Renaissance and Leonardo da Vinci this week in SOTW2, and, serendipitously, MOSI is hosting a traveling exhibition called "Da Vinci, the Genius" through May 31. So this is where we're headed tomorrow. It's Spring Break in my county so I'll be taking all 4 bio kids because the p.s. kids could use a little education in their downtime, lol.

http://davincithegenius.com/traveling-exhibition.php

If you're a local, please note that it is a separate admission from the regular MOSI admission and your annual passes won't be valid for this exhibit.

Firefly_Mom
04-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Oooh - we saw this when it was here and it was FABULOUS!! You guys will love it :)

If you're interested, I blogged a little about it here: http://packofhungrysnails.blogspot.com/2009/02/omsi-and-da-vinci-exhibit.html

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Awww... I can't take pictures? Poop. I was really looking forward to Noah's blog post on that one. I'll have him bring a notebook to make sketches and take notes, like Leonardo did. I hope it's not too crowded. The kids in that county are done with their Spring Break, I think.

The music on your blog always startles me, lol. One of these days I'm going to dump my laptop on the floor because I jump so high each time it starts (Noah keeps on turning up the volume on my laptop when he uses it!)

Firefly_Mom
04-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry about that ;) Truth be told, I generally keep the volume off on my laptop. When I do have it on, the music makes me jump, too!

Snoopy
04-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Well, we LOVED it! It was sooooo interesting. Noah brought his "Adventure Journal" and sketched some of the models (like Leonardo). He was fascinated by the models that had gears so I found him on the floor looking at the axels and gears of several machines, lol. He was fascinated by the tank and the gun machines, OF COURSE. He read almost every sign (yay!) and recognized the Mona Lisa and The Last Supper and played with each model that we were allowed to touch. He didn't build the bridge but did play with the pieces to try to make his own structure. How I wished we could take photos! I love that, when we watched the segment about the Vitrurian Man, he understood what the Golden Ratio was because we had just started studying ratios this month with Horizons Math 2! And we had read the Magic Tree House Research Guide on Leonardo da Vinci earlier this week, which did an excellent job at preparing us for this exhibit as pretty much everything in the exhibit was discussed in the book. He didn't get to write backwards, but I wrote (Noah I love you in cursive backward in his notebook and then we entered the 8 mirror chamber and so he was able to decode my "secret" message there and got a kick out of it. That chamber was pretty cool, btw.

The work that was done on the Mona Lisa to uncover all those "secrets" with the help of the incredibly detailed photos and the computer program is so impressive, and she looked so lovely in her original colors. I saw her in Paris and she looked so tiny because you can't even get close to the glass case at all! So the huge blown-up pictures were a treat.

I could have spent much more time there than we did. As it is, we only spent 1 hour looking at the exhibit. I suppose that at his age (8), that's pretty good. I didn't see if it goes anywhere else in the States, but if you're in the Tampa area, you ought to go see it. The tickets (if you're not a MOSI member) are between $21 and $26 a person, I think, but if you're a MOSI member it's only $7 per person and then you can take the audio tour for just $3 a person ($5 if you're not a member). We didn't do the audio tour. I would have if I had been alone though.

CroppinMom
04-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Sounds like a great field trip! I'm bummed that it isn't coming to our neck of the woods but I'm glad that you and Noah enjoyed it so much.

Firefly_Mom
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm glad you guys liked it! The chamber was pretty cool, and like you, I was most impressed with the Mona Lisa section of the exhibit.