PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a head of cabbage?

Wilma
02-02-2011, 12:02 PM
I got one from our produce co-op and it seems like a waste to not use it. But everytime I think of cooking it I imagine stinking up the house.:(

MamaB2C
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I would make my husbands family's cabbage rolls, but if you don't want to cook it, how about a cabbage salad (http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/recipe-of-the-day-cabbage-salad/) or a slaw?

Wilma
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't mind cooking it, but can you do it without it smelling up the house? Didn't someone mention they make cabbage soup that was pretty good?

hockeymom
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Slice it raw and put it in peanut or sesame noodles. Yum!

StartingOver
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
We do Cabbage Stew, the sausage covers the smell. I use 6-8 big potatoes, and cook them slightly soft adding in a bit of bullion. Then I cut of sausage of your choice, I like the generic large link sausage from our HEB best, it is a bit spicier. I use 1 medium sweet onion chopped, then add the cabbage, and just cook till the cabbage is mostly clear and the potatoes are done. Add salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning or red pepper to taste. Very simple, and very good.

I will also add sausage and cabbage to a vegetable soup.

inmom
02-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Cabbage Patch Stew: Brown a pound or so of ground beef, add onion, cabbage, diced tomotoes (or sauce is okay), mushrooms (fresh or canned) and a can or so of chili beans. My hubby like to just use cans of kidney beans and add his own chili seasoning. Doesn't stink up the house as I recall.

dbmamaz
02-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I dont find cabbage to smell. I cook it two ways, braised, and in lentil soup. Braised you just saute in a bit of margerine in a saute pan and then add some broth and cover and cook maybe 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. You can season however you like, i had a white wine worcester I used to like. Lentil soup - add the cabbage the last 20-30 minutes and its so tender and tasty.

kewb22
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Chop some up and use it in fried rice. Cole slaw. In a salad.

hockeymom
02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
The January 2010 issue of Martha Stewart (yeah, I know, I know) had several fantastic cabbage recipes. We liked the shredded napa cabbage salad and the Chinese cabbage stir fry. She also has a recipe for stuffed savoy cabbage that I thought looked great and easy enough to make vegetarian (it calls for pork and beef). Or how about in wonton wrappers with other veggies? I second putting it in a salad too, one head of cabbage lasts our family forever and we can never seem to eat the entire thing, even though we all like it.

Pefa
02-02-2011, 03:29 PM
We prefer our cabbage raw (and this time of year eat a lot of it) our slaw is a no recipe mixture of shredded cabbage and carrots (if I feel like grating them or the cabbage is particularly pale) vinegar, garlic, salt, a bit of sweetener - either sugar or honey, a spoonful of fish sauce and some toasted sesame oil. Sometimes I'll substitute orange or lime juice for the vinegar if I use orange juice I leave out the fish sauce.

mommalee93
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Gosh i could eat a head of cabbage myself, I love it and cook it all sorts of ways. I don't think it stinks. usually I put it in soup...anytype almost. I do make cabbage soup which is tomato based. Cabbage, water, diced tomato, ground beef, little bit of onion. Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. I also add it to ham soup, yummy! I think I may need to buy some for next week now! yumm!

rumbledolly
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I got one from our produce co-op and it seems like a waste to not use it. But everytime I think of cooking it I imagine stinking up the house.:(

Go outside. Make a snowman. Place cabbage on top for head! Voila!

Sorry I couldn't resist!

I make a stew with sausage and other veggies, depending upon what we have around and raw or lightly cooked. No one here will eat cabbage. I just tell them it's 'stuff' or whatever name I make up this week. They are none the wiser!

Wabi Sabi
02-02-2011, 04:39 PM
In our house vegetable soup just isn't vegetable soup without cabbage! I usually do tomato juice, beef stock, can of diced tomatos, carrots, green beans, onions, peas, lima beans, etc. Dump it all into the crockpot and let it cook all day on low- no cabbage smell at all.

missourimom
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/01/red-cabbage-and-chicken-asian-salad.htm
If you'd prefer a salad - this is very good!

fbfamily111
02-03-2011, 01:23 AM
I also used to think that cabbage stank when cooked, it always did when my Mom made it. Turns out saurkraut stinks... yuck, cabbage NO vinegar smells wonderful.
Sausage and Cabbage, Very simple and quick. 1 polish kilbasa, sliced like coins, brown in pot, chop cabbage, doesn't have to be small pieces, that takes too much work. Add to sausage, salt, pepper, garlic, cover and cook until tender. The kids love it! No bad smells. This is not a soup or stew, goes great with garlic mashed potatoes, or fried potatoes.