PDA

View Full Version : For Vegetarians or almost Vegies

fbfamily111
02-02-2011, 03:57 AM
What do you eat, say, for dinner? Seriously, I'm having trouble cutting back on the meat, and need some idea for easy recipes. Other then Potato soup... oh wait I put bacon in that LOL.... I need help, DS doesn't like most meat, the rest of us are big time carnivores, so I'm kind of lost.

hockeymom
02-02-2011, 05:25 AM
I make lots of soups in the winter. Whole wheat pasta (with homemade sauce I make in the summer and freeze), rice and beans, stir fry (aka using what's left in the fridge), homemade noodles, enchiladas, lasagna, lentils, gardenburgers and fries, sometimes things like veggie sausages (I try not to make too many "convenience" foods), tofu, tempeh, miso...

I've been a vegetarian for over 20 years, since the day I moved out on my own, and I've always had trouble answering the question "What do you eat?". Not eating meat is so natural for me I'm not really sure what non-vegetarians eat! I've never cooked meat of any sort, though I did eat it when I lived at home (knowing I would stop as soon as I moved out). I conducted my first protest at the age of 3 when my dad decided to eat our only chicken I wasn't afraid of for Thanksgiving; I think I knew then that I'd be vegetarian.

Good for you for trying new things! :)

mommykicksbutt
02-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Italian is easy to do vegetarian. Pasta, veggies, and sauce is always a winner in our house. Whether it be veggie lasagna, fettuccine with spiralized zucchini in Alfredo sauce, or even polenta with a savory or tangy sauce (with a cheese if you can do dairy) is a hit too.

If you can do soy then a tofu and veggie stir-fry is worth a go. Just play with different sauces until you find one you all like. If nuts aren't a problem then you could add cashews to the mix.

But my personal vegetarian favorites include corn chowder made with almond nut milk instead of dairy; and nut pate' nori rolls (like sushi). Both are vegan and raw.

alien_sunset
02-02-2011, 07:56 AM
lots of soups, lots of beans, occasional tofu or TVP (textured vegetable protein), sometimes we splurge and get tempeh.
one of the most important things we've found is to use fresh ingredients whenever possible, good spices (we buy a lot of whole spices and grind them ourselves, and we also make our own spice mixes and marinades), and cook our own beans.

some of this past month's menu (with rough ingredient list, i can give recipes if you like):

bean and 'bacon' soup (roman beans, veggies, liquid smoke, soy sauce, potatoes)
skillet lentils (onions garlic, lentils, veg stock, potatoes, granulated TVP, rice)
split pea soup (peas, veggies, nutritional yeast, liquid smoke, soy sauce, chunky TVP, sometimes potatoes)
Thai tempeh (veggies, coconut milk, Thai curry paste, tempeh, rice)
minestrone (veggies, potatoes, w/w pasta, veg stock, nutritional yeast, kidney and cannellini beans)
lentil spinach soup (veggies, lentils, potatoes, veg stock, spinach, rice)
tortillas (veggies, cheese, tortillas, "Mexican marinade")
Asian grilled tofu (tofu, veggies, spinach, rice, "Asian sauce")
Chili (granulated TVP, black, pink, and/or kidney beans, veggies, tomatoes)
pizza (home made crust, veggies, pasta sauce, cheese)
'Mexicali' (veggies, chunky TVP, black beans, tomatoes, corn chips)
Daal (mung beans, onions, garlic, rice, sometimes tomatoes, sometimes potatoes)

and a ton of other things that i'm forgetting right now

dbmamaz
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
When i was poor and vegetarian, our staple was brown rice cooked with lentils in it, and then serve ANYTHING over that and you have a complete protien - esp a vegetarian stir fry of course. Vegetarian chili. Oh, i have a recipe for mushroom tofu stroganoff - not exactly a budget item, tho.

QueenBee
02-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I've been veg for 22 years and vegan for a good part of that. I agree with PP that it's a tough question to answer! I think I actually eat more of a variety than my meat-eating friends and family. But, I'd recommend for newbies to google recipes that you like (e.g., potato soup) but add in "vegetarian" or vegan. I also encourage eating more ethnic food instead of just replacing meat with a meat look-alike. FatFreeVegan blog is good. So is PPK. Vegetarian Times has an online presence and sends weekly 'recipe of the week' type things. I have literally over 100 cookbooks but I still go online half the time!

Good luck and I applaud your efforts!!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-02-2011, 11:06 AM
The meatless meals in our rotation: minestrone soup, vegetable and cheese frittata, margharita or veggie pizza, veggie lasagna, lentil soup, baked mac & cheese, black bean and vegetable quesadillas.

Laina
02-02-2011, 11:08 AM
We are vegetarian and some typical meals are soup and baked potato, BLTs (using veggie bacon or tempeh), pasta, mexican (these are good and hearty http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Black-Bean-and-Rice-Enchiladas/Detail.aspx), tofu and vegetable stirfry, and omelets. GL!

dbmamaz
02-02-2011, 02:26 PM
oh, and quiche - spinach and swiss or onion, tomato and cheddar . . . you can also do something like taco night and have refried beans for your veggie kid and meat (or meat and beans) for everyone else.

Pefa
02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
We are omnivores but certainly don't have meat every day. Another way to cut back is to think of meat as a flavoring rather than a staple: put some bacon in your potato soup but maybe half as much as the recipe calls for, flavor your stir fries with 1/4lb ground pork for four people rather than a pork chop per person etc. Vegetarian's easy: mac and cheese, brazilian black beans and rice, quesadillas or tortillas filled w/corn cooked with garlic red peppers and shredded carrot.

The Moosewood Cooks at Home is a good vegetarian cookbook

dbmamaz
02-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Oh, yeah, we used to have one night where we'd have quesidillas and tomato soup for dinner (home-made from stewed tomatoes), and sometimes a black-beans and rice mix.

fbfamily111
02-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Okay now I'm really hungry! This all sounds good, Looking forward to trying them out on DS. What concerns me is that DD and DH won't touch a bean if their lives depended on it. Also DD will not eat cooked vegetables and the only raw she'll eat is broc., carrots, and spinich. We have a lot of salads. I might be able to get her to eat rice dishes with "things" in it. At least I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for all the ideas I really didn't know where to start.

hockeymom
02-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Also DD will not eat cooked vegetables and the only raw she'll eat is broc., carrots, and spinich. .

That's one beauty of soups--you can put lots of different veggies in and she probably won't know (especially if the soup is pureed). Same for things like lasagna or enchiladas, unless she actively goes through and inspects her food like my son is known to do. If she likes broccoli I have an awesome broccoli soup if you are interested. It's the only way I'LL eat it! :)