PDA

View Full Version : Decision Frustration - High School

alexdk
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
We had decided to continue homeschooling through high school, but it might change.
My husband and I would much prefer keeping all our children home, but we are also concerned on giving them the best so that they have the most options later on in life.

Two of my children are interested in the Canadian Forces and after speaking with the recruiting officer, we found out that they need an official (read school-only) high school transcript/diploma. Without going to high school, so far I have not been able to find a way to get an official transcript here in Canada.

Our oldest also attends the Air Cadets program here and has learned that for some of the training programs (the best ones: pilot license, international exchanges..) they also require an official school transcript. The application process makes sure that the deserving cadets get to go to these training programs. She was really looking forward to these opportunities.

It's such a tough place to be in. They would also prefer to continue studying at home, but if doing so limits their opportunities..then going to a public high school might be the better choice.

Sorry for making this a little long, I just need to vent but would love to hear opinions/advice if you have some. I feel like we will be forced to choose one option, not the one we want, just to be sure they have all the opportunities available.

TamaraNC
02-01-2011, 11:05 AM
How frustrating... Do you have access to any acceptable online school options, where the vendor/institution provides an official transcript but they do the work at home?

kewb22
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't really have any advice but I am in the same quandry. My oldest is in 7th grade this year and dh and I are doing our due diligence for high school. I want to keep ds home because I believe homeschooling is the superior education (plus, it looks like my town has set precedent on allowing students who do not attend the high school to participate on the swim team) but there is a whole social aspect to high school that my my dh wants our ds to experience. It is a very difficult decision. I feel your pain and frustration.

I would speak to the Air Cadets about accepting homeschoolers and what kind of information they would need.

dbmamaz
02-01-2011, 01:08 PM
That does sound like a hard place to be - but if your kids are sure of what they want, they need to decide how badly they want it and what they are willing to do for it. As they become teens we need to start giving them more chances to choose their own path - and remember, life is long enough for them to overcome mistakes. I firmly believe learning from your mistakes is a very important part of growing up!

jettyspagetti
02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Such a tough choice to make. I know that the virtual school in my state is available internationally-maybe an option for you?
http://www.flvs.net/areas/elearning/Pages/U.S.%20and%20WORLDWIDE/GlobalSchool.aspx

farrarwilliams
02-01-2011, 01:27 PM
That's rotten.

I assume that you've not just taken the one recruiting officer's word for it? Have you spoken to people in your homeschool community to see if anyone else encountered this issue? You could even (shudder) call HSLDA (I know they operate in Canada too) and see what they say - supposedly they'll advise you even if you're not a member. Is there any way that you could use an online program to get a diploma? Probably you've explored all this stuff, and I totally don't know what I'm talking about mostly, I just hate when regulations back people into corners. Grr.

alexdk
02-01-2011, 02:31 PM
That does sound like a hard place to be - but if your kids are sure of what they want, they need to decide how badly they want it and what they are willing to do for it. As they become teens we need to start giving them more chances to choose their own path - and remember, life is long enough for them to overcome mistakes. I firmly believe learning from your mistakes is a very important part of growing up!

This is almost exactly what I told my daughter. I asked her to try to figure out how much she truly wants to go this path.

alexdk
02-01-2011, 02:32 PM
That's rotten.

I assume that you've not just taken the one recruiting officer's word for it? Have you spoken to people in your homeschool community to see if anyone else encountered this issue? You could even (shudder) call HSLDA (I know they operate in Canada too) and see what they say - supposedly they'll advise you even if you're not a member. Is there any way that you could use an online program to get a diploma? Probably you've explored all this stuff, and I totally don't know what I'm talking about mostly, I just hate when regulations back people into corners. Grr.

Yes, we have checked with online options. They either request for the actual curriculum that we have used so they can approve it and make sure it follows the Ontario Curriculum, or the courses costs way too much for our family.
We're still looking around, trying to find other options.
Thank you.

Shoe
02-01-2011, 07:14 PM
I would ask the recruiter if there is any waiver/exception for that transcript requirement-e.g. a GED and a portfolio-for homeschoolers, or would they accept a transcript prepared by you along with results of standardized tests? There must be some way around it. Are there any private schools that offer a transcript service for homeschoolers in your province (there is one here in NH, though it is a Christian school, that offers a transcript and graduation diploma service, as long as certain course requirements are met).

I notice that this application for some Officers' Training Plans (http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/ROTP_RETP_Quest_En.pdf) does have a check box for home education-so it appears that the Canadian Forces does, at least in some cases, acknowledge that home education exists.

Good luck.

StartingOver
02-01-2011, 07:48 PM
I would ask the recruiter if there is any waiver/exception for that transcript requirement-e.g. a GED and a portfolio-for homeschoolers, or would they accept a transcript prepared by you along with results of standardized tests? There must be some way around it. Are there any private schools that offer a transcript service for homeschoolers in your province (there is one here in NH, though it is a Christian school, that offers a transcript and graduation diploma service, as long as certain course requirements are met).

I notice that this application for some Officers' Training Plans (http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/ROTP_RETP_Quest_En.pdf) does have a check box for home education-so it appears that the Canadian Forces does, at least in some cases, acknowledge that home education exists.

Good luck.

I would try the portfolio route. Some of the toughest issues for homeschoolers is breaking new ground. A Portfolio, or some college credit hours usually, but not always help. It could be an option ?

alexdk
02-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Good luck.

Thank you! We have read so much online about the application process for the forces, but never seen that application. This is excellent. When I spoke to the recruiting officer, she seemed very opiniated about high school and also about the choice that my daughter was looking at (getting in at the lower level position), I would have hoped that she was being truthful, but maybe not.

alexdk
02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone for your help!
We will keep digging. We know homeschooling is the best option, so we'll keep on trying to stick with that!!

Miguels mommy
02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
What is there requirements for enrollees that have an AA or BA maybe you can combine highschool and early college and bypass the Highschool requirements?

BrendaE
02-08-2011, 02:22 AM
Aha.. there are tricky tricky ways. For instance, have her take 1/2 time University Courses her last year of high school. The Universities at least in the USA almost all now have home school applicants approved. Just because the transcript YOU make isnt from a high school, it is still a transcript. Keep it detailed. There are books on how to do this. She can also take AP classes regardless of if she is home schooled. They cost a little more but totally doable. If she makes a shining example, do not doubt she will get in. She may possibly even lead the way! I dont know what Canada has in regards to college testing either. We have the SAT's and ACT scores that most universities ask for in addition to high school transcripts. If the scores are good you can bet the transcript is probably well done work by the child. All University entrants have to have them regardless of HS/PS.
Just some Ideas. Also... Do you OR your child REALLY want to experience what PS in high school is really about about? Its not about academics... IMHO anyway. My daughter doesnt quite comprehend she is years above her PS peers both academically and socially. Teens are supposed to experience some things on their own. They are supposed to learn from making poor choices... but this.. is not something that should really be layed in the hand of someone whos hormones are wont to be scattered even in their best moments. again..just MHO.. feel free to disagree 100%