PDA

View Full Version : Searching 3 letter topics

fbfamily111
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
So my issue is that the search application won't let you search for 3 letter topics. For example MCT, everyone uses this to abbrev. for Michael Clay Thompson. But I can't search for it. Is there anyway to get around this problem?

Topsy
02-02-2011, 09:44 AM
So my issue is that the search application won't let you search for 3 letter topics. For example MCT, everyone uses this to abbrev. for Michael Clay Thompson. But I can't search for it. Is there anyway to get around this problem? Oooh...I've never gotten that question before! I have no idea, but I'll do some poking around and see. Might take me a couple days to find out for you...

Topsy

Stages
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Google advanced search. Type "MCT" site:http://www.secularhomeschool.com into google. to change the search term, just change what's in the quotations.

Hampchick
02-02-2011, 03:17 PM
That's a great tip Savannah! I had the same conundrum a few weeks ago; this would have helped a lot :) I ended up looking up MCT at TWTM instead.

fbfamily111
02-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you, I'll have to try that. I did end up searching "MCT LA" and it gave me posts with just MCT, so I had to wade through a few with just "LA", but not to bad.

Topsy
02-05-2011, 11:26 AM
So, I found out the reasoning behind the 4-letter word minimum on searches...decreasing the minimum would actually increase the search index, which, in turn, increases the search database, which in turn slows down the search in general and can possibly even slow down the site because of the number of words needing to be indexed at any given time. As difficult as it is to not be able to search 3-letter words, I don't think the need is strong enough to make it worthwhile to slow down the site. It's a trade-off. But I like the Google option, too! In fact, we might just integrate a Google Search box for that purpose on the site really soon....

Topsy