PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cincinnati, OH!

reversemigration
04-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm a stay-at-home dad who's going to start homeschooling my (very nearly) 10-year-old son next fall. He's currently in a Catholic, Montessori school but is looking forward to learning from dear old dad and the great, wide world (an attitude I hope will last more than a few weeks in the fall!) We also have a 4 y.o. son in preschool and a 3 y.o. daughter who'll be headed off to preschool next year.

I'd thought about homeschooling back several years when we lived in rural Virginia, but were happy with how he progressed in school there; however, I'd read the Well-Trained Mind at the time and found it to be attractive. I'm busy pulling together ideas for next fall's curriculum and familiarizing myself with Ohio's homeschooling laws. I've set nothing in stone yet, but I do like aspects of the Classical curriculum. I also seem to be leaning towards Singapore math. We plan on attending the Midwest Homeschooling Convention on the 10th for ideas, even though it seems to skew awfully evangelical Christian. If nothing else, I can tour the vendor stalls and flip through some ideas.

Cincinnati is an excellent city for field trips, and it also has many resources through the local Universities, so I'm looking forward to our experiment!

Thanks for all the information, and I'm excited about exchanging ideas!

Ben

Topsy
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
Welcome, Ben! It's wonderful to have you here. We have a growing number of homeschooling dads here at SHS, so you are in fine company! Be sure to drop by their "Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=10)" and join up if you haven't already. There are lots of Classical-leaning folks around these parts too...so head over to their group afterward. It's awesome that you are planning on doing lots of field trips on your new homeschooling adventure...I think that is such a great thing for kids to experience! Looking forward to getting to know you better...hope you enjoy the site!

Topsy

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Welcome, Ben! Wow, 3 dads joined just today, that's so great! Make sure you check out the Homeschooling Dads group (group tab at the top) and also the OH group. There are lots of Ohioans (?) on this group, it seems.

reversemigration
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Thanks Topsy and Snoopy!

It is good to see other dads taking on this challenge; personally, I'm used to being the odd duck, having gotten lots of odd looks and comments over the years that I've been staying home with the kids. Cincinnati (and Ohio) is more congenial to secular homeschooling than rural Virginia was. While I knew and got along with Christian homeschoolers there, it would have been very difficult to find a group there that welcomed someone both irreligious and a dad. There's a regional, secular homeschooling group here, and I'm hoping to find a smaller group close to home to join (or start one, if needs be...of course, after reading Snoopy's experience heading up her group, I know what a challenge that can be.)

I'm still flailing around in deep water, but I think I've at least spied land and am headed in its general direction. I'll get there one of these days!

Snoopy
04-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Ben, keep in mind that I live in a rural area in the South... I would hope that, living in Cincinnatti, you have a larger pool of homeschoolers that you can tap locally if you wanted to try starting your own group, and that by virtue of having more members than mine, you would have more chances of snatching some people willing to be active members, lol. I look forward to hearing how you are faring with all that!

reversemigration
04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Snoopy, I know exactly how those challenges work when you live in a rural area. I was Captain of the local volunteer rescue squad my last year in Virginia, and getting significant participation from the volunteers was like pulling teeth some days. It's bad enough having to nag family members without also having to nag everyone in an organization. I also sympathize with having to drive an hour in any direction to get places or meet up with people. Not to inspire jealousy, but I'm happy with being in a walkable neighborhood now - it's a fifteen minute walk to the zoo.

Hang in there when it comes to running your group. One thing that's helpful is putting requirements for participation in writing, warning members when they're not living up to their responsibilities, and removing them if they fail to respond. It's a hard thing to do - we always want to hope that people will start contributing, and we don't want to be the mean person who lays down the law. However, as you've seen, it's such a mental drag on the people who do participate and breeds feelings of resentment, that it's very worthwhile. I hope that things will improve soon for you!

Momtomany
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I am orginally from cinci :-) welcome