PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all from New Hampshire

Shoe
04-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm a new (this year) home schooling father-educating during the day and working full time in the evening- from New Hampshire, currently home schooling my 7th grade son and have a 5th grade daughter currently in the public school system. Next year, I plan to home school both kids at home. My wife works during the day time in the public schools.

This year, I'm using a ready to use, boxed Christian curriculum (I pulled my son out of public school in October and it was the easiest and most convenient to just jump into), but plan to use a much more eclectic (and primarily secular) approach with both kids next year.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the group! I think you're our 4th homeschooling dad. I know of David in Canada, Mike in the UK, and Earl in the US (?) who just joined today too. When do you sleep? lol.

Shoe
04-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Hi Snoopy,

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to hear there are a few other homeschooling dads out there too...we seem to be a rare breed.

And this "sleep" of which you speak...I'm familiar with the term, but I have always assumed it was some kind of myth ;) . Are you telling me it actually exists?

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
LOL! Hey, make sure to check out the "Groups" tab at the top of this page and you should see a "Homeschooling Dads" group that you can join too. Are you guys all flooded over in NH?

Shoe
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks. I've just joined the group. Yes, we're flooded in New Hampshire, but we don't seem to have been hit as hard as places like Rhode Island. Fortunately, I live at the top of a hill and had a perimeter drain put in around my house a few years ago (after the last big flooding), so I'm not flooded at all.

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Glad to hear that, schu00!

Topsy
04-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Wonderful to have you here, schu00! Glad you found your way to the site. We are definitely building a good foundation of homeschooling dads around here. Definitely head over to their Homeschooling Dads Group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=10) and add yourself so you can all officially "meet"! I hope you will find SHS.com to be a good source of advice, networking and support for your homeschooling journey. Everyone here is incredibly friendly and helpful and I think you will find yourself "right at home" in no time. Welcome!!!

Topsy

Shoe
04-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Hi Topsy,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad I found my way here too. Cheers.

AlishaYouch
04-11-2010, 10:58 AM
As a currently-displaced New Hampshirite, I am so glad to make your acquaintance, shoe! We moved to GA from Dover, NH last summer. While we haven't missed the weather, we miss just about everything else! We still own our house in Dover and will hopefully be returning to NH in the 2016-2017 timeframe, so I am very interested in connecting with other NH home-educators!

Cheers!

Shoe
04-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Alisha,

Welcome to the site. I've found it quite helpful. There seem to be a lot of homeschoolers in New Hampshire, though not many here yet. I've been working in Dover for the past 8 years. As for weather, at least we had a better winter this year than many states further to the south!