PDA

View Full Version : My daughter made dinner

Busygoddess
01-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Well, I made the asparagus. She made elbow noodles & mixed in a can of tomato sauce, some cheddar, and a few seasonings. She made a b-b-q beef roast. It was FANTASTIC! The roast was so tender, cooked perfectly & had just the right amount of seasoning & sauce. She did a great job! I am so proud of her. Nothing was over or undercooked. She didn't forget that she was cooking (she almost always does).

She generally forgets she's cooking or doesn't use the right measurements. Mashed potatoes from a box tend to be a bit runny. She has trouble with real mashed taters, too (doesn't cook them long enough, so they're still hard when she tries to mash them). She forgets about noodles, so they're overcooked & mushy. She does a pretty good job with most veggies. Until this last few weeks, she hadn't really cooked meat on her own. She's been helping out a lot the last few weeks while I've been sick, and I have to say she has made fabulous progress. She's been making breakfast a lot over the last couple of months and has made great strides with breakfast foods, too.

Sorry, I just had to brag on her for a minute. She's had so many problems with cooking because of her short attention span. There have always been a few things that she was good at making (her deviled eggs are regularly requested at get-togethers), but it was limited & I had to be there to supervise (keep her focused on cooking). I'm really proud & impressed with the progress that she's made over the last 3 months or so. I'm finally going to be able to teach her how to make some of my complex dishes, family recipes, and time-consuming foods (like home-made perogi). YAY!

Hampchick
01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Woohoo! Sounds like your daughter has a lot to be proud of. It's really awesome to see that progress when there's previously been a struggle. I hope she'll be whipping up gourmet meals in no time :)

I have a 4 year old that I think will make an excellent cook when he's older. Can't wait for that.

Stella M
01-26-2011, 07:59 PM
Ooh, it's so good when they can cook!

MrsLOLcat
01-26-2011, 08:56 PM
That's awesome! My son started to make crab cakes tonight, but I wound up finishing them. I can't wait till the day I can post something like yours! Tell your daughter congratulations!

Busygoddess
01-27-2011, 01:24 PM
She was so happy last night. She asked us if the meat was ok & I told her that it was better than ok, it was perfect. She was beaming the rest of the night :) She's been helping cook forever, but I've been waiting for her to be ready to do it on her own. I really am so proud of her, and she is so happy.

Sam
01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Awesome job!!! She should be proud of herself, especially the meat. Meat can be really tricky for beginners!

My daughter's only 8 but is very interested in cooking and I want her to cook. The problem is me. I'm so over protective/OCD that I don't let her help/do it herself enough.